Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sandstorms and RMR's

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    A Torx bit, screws and a plate to cover the RMR cut would be more size efficient and serve the same purpose (I have BUIS on my RMR cut slide).
    If I have an extra 1"x1"x7" space available in my spare parts bag it'll have a spare fuel pump or another couple of CO2 tire inflator cartridges instead of a pistol slide.
    Later today, I am shipping a MOS slide back to Glock to remove the little darn stripped screw!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Damn Jody, the mental image I have of your trip I think it would be an iron sighted whatever and an AR pistol in the pack!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I remember discussing rain on the RMR, one very rainy summer in Alaska five years or so ago, and being told I was basically crazy for suggesting it was a problem.
    I remember you posting about that. That and my astigmatism have kept me from worrying too much about dots.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Damn Jody, the mental image I have of your trip I think it would be an iron sighted whatever and an AR pistol in the pack!
    The only "interesting areas" are in New Mexico close to the US/MX border and around I40/Grants to the CO state line. Then Montana bears.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

The ability to quickly remove the optic—without having to keep track of multiple tiny screws—is another reason, among many, that convinced me to buy a pair of Aimpoint Acro’s. Sometimes pulling the optic is the best option if weather conditions get too severe. Although generally, by that time, I’ve retreated inside

Later today, I am shipping a MOS slide back to Glock to remove the little darn stripped screw!
    A secret for removing small critical screws without stripping or breaking.
    Use a small plastic/brass hammer like the Wheeler gunsmith mallet to continuously lightly tap down on the handle of the driver you're using to unscrew the screws.
    I put my Torx bit into a screwdriver style driver handle.
    Apply and hold some light pressure (just a light grip and twist is all that's needed) in the "lefty loosey" direction and then start lightly tapping down on the end of the driver with my plastic faced baby hammer.
    The screws almost always immediately start backing out with hardly any twisting effort (if they were close to properly torqued in the first place).
    It's the manual version of an impact driver.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    A secret for removing small critical screws without stripping or breaking.
    Use a small plastic/brass hammer like the Wheeler gunsmith mallet to continuously lightly tap down on the handle of the driver you're using to unscrew the screws.
    I put my Torx bit into a screwdriver style driver handle.
    Apply and hold some light pressure (just a light grip and twist is all that's needed) in the "lefty loosey" direction and then start lightly tapping down on the end of the driver with my plastic faced baby hammer.
    The screws almost always immediately start backing out with hardly any twisting effort (if they were close to properly torqued in the first place).
    It's the manual version of an impact driver.
    Yep, that didn’t work. And I have the $100 set, “designed for stuck screws.”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Your luck is about as bad as mine.
    I do still have a useless T1 with a mount screw broken off flush with the body though, so I have that going for me.

What about one of those RMR covers attached to a fixed point like belt or holster with an elastic cord.
    https://www.amazon.com/Strike-Indust.../dp/B00DG9NFVI
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I've got a machinist on speed dial who handles mine for $35 a screw. Plus a bottle of whiskey every 3rd screw or so.

User Tag List