Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sandstorms and RMR's

All sighting systems are vulnerable to environmental issues. I once had to power wash my sidearm back at the Station after a particularly crappy night in the brush. The rear sight of my P2000 was completely occluded with mud... One of the experiences that led me to the ACRO as my first PMO. It has its vulnerabilities as well but seems like it may mitigate them a bit better than an RMR in certain conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Friend of mine shooting a match in cold weather from an open rig drew his pistol on a one handed section of a stage, exhaled as part of his "shoot good, dumbass" mental routine and in so doing fogged both the glass of the optic and the lens of the emitter to the point that he had no more aiming reference.
    The ACRO's occular lens would have fogged up just as bad in the same circumstance, rendering it too useless until the condensation either evaporates or is wiped off.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-04-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    So what’s the consensus on protecting the sight from the elements when a hooded holster is not an option? All new territory for me, and honestly one that I obviously didn’t think thru very well. Mine came with a rubber hood, and short of using a tether, not coming up with many solutions. Maybe there isn’t one presently...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Off topic but.....

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The only "interesting areas" are in New Mexico close to the US/MX border and around I40/Grants to the CO state line. Then Montana bears.

What is it about the Grants area? When I go west it is i40 generally. Thank you. PM is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I've got a machinist on speed dial who handles mine for $35 a screw. Plus a bottle of whiskey every 3rd screw or so.
    Name:  cover10.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  46.7 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    What is it about the Grants area? When I go west it is i40 generally. Thank you. PM is fine.
    I40 is just fine, just the normal transient Interstate riff-raff and trucker serial killers like everywhere else in the country.

Anywhere off the beaten path (like I'll be doing) around the reservations can get sketchy.
    There's a lot of Navajo "off-reservation trust" land checkerboarded north of Grants up to Cuba.
    Some tribe members tend to claim ownership of BLM land (what I'll be traversing) just because it's near tribal lands.
    A lot of those same tribe members really, really dislike non-tribe members and are almost always drunk at a minimum.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

How about this: either tape up, or take the sights off of one of your Glocks and shoot it by superimposing the back of the slide on a TQ-19 or B-27 target all the way out to 25 yards. Jim Cirillo mentioned this technique of looking at the back of the gun and recognizing what it looked like when you had the pistol on target. Louis Awerbuck also mentioned this to me in a class. I was schwacking dudes with Simunitions today with a G17T with a mashed down plastic front sight and a rear that was so far left that if I used the sights I would have been several feet off the target. It worked at 20' plus, but I wasn't taking hostage shots, just ruining,"There I was," stories and punishing those who used poor tactics. Run the optic if you want, carry a spare toothbrush and some lens wipes, if it gets occluded, rock on and finish the problem.

User Tag List