Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Badge / Wallet

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    Question - do you guys carry your badge when your off duty?
    Yes. And I carry a belt mounted clip-on holder next to my gun, not a wallet badge. If my gun is concealed, so is my badge. If my gun is exposed, so is my badge. Badges still carry some cultural cache that ID cards don't, and it's just one more way to help identify who I am if shit goes sideways while I'm off duty. A badge in the hand reduces (not eliminates, reduces) your odds of being targeted in a blue on blue while you are in plain clothes. A badge on a neck chain is next best. A belt mounted is next best. I can't recall the original source of the study, but I know that numbers of holes in realistic targets in a shoot house roughly confirmed it. A real metal badge with some shine to it center mass or in the hands (both where we are trained to look) kept a lot of holes off the target vs the belt mount guy.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-04-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo was bothering me
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yes. And I carry a belt mounted clip-on holder next to my gun, not a wallet badge. If my gun is concealed, so is my badge. If my gun is exposed, so is my badge. Badges still carry some cultural cache that ID cards don't, and it's just one more way to help identify who I am if shit goes sideways while I'm off duty. A badge in the hand reduces (not eliminates, reduces) your odds of being targeted in a blue on blue while you are in plain clothes. A badge on a neck chain is next best. A belt mounted is next best. I can't recall the original source of the study, but I know that numbers of holes in realistic targets in a shoot house roughly confirmed it. A real metal badge with some shine to it center mass or in the hands (both were we are trained to look) kept a lot of holes off the target vs the belt mount guy.
    That was Kansas City, Missouri PD. I use that study in all the “plainclothes survival” classes I do.

https://www.bluesheepdog.com/2013/03...acement-study/

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yes. And I carry a belt mounted clip-on holder next to my gun, not a wallet badge. If my gun is concealed, so is my badge. If my gun is exposed, so is my badge. Badges still carry some cultural cache that ID cards don't, and it's just one more way to help identify who I am if shit goes sideways while I'm off duty. A badge in the hand reduces (not eliminates, reduces) your odds of being targeted in a blue on blue while you are in plain clothes. A badge on a neck chain is next best. A belt mounted is next best. I can't recall the original source of the study, but I know that numbers of holes in realistic targets in a shoot house roughly confirmed it. A real metal badge with some shine to it center mass or in the hands (both where we are trained to look) kept a lot of holes off the target vs the belt mount guy.
    This...

And when I get a new badge from my agency that says "retired", I'm going to carry that one. Yep, the badge can be a pain in the ass to carry, but so is your gun -- and they go very well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Same here... I’ve heard mixed bags with badge/credentials on duty. One person says leaving in truck is fine (we work at a Port of Entry, so not too far away). Another says they have to be on you at all times. Just leave my wallet in my cargo pocket.

I always carry my creds on duty. The some of the courthouse security guards with still want to see them even though I’m in full uniform.
    I’m like dude, take a peep outside at the cool looking squad I came in, but I guess I’m at there house, I’ll let them have there power trip. Lol.

I keep my badge/credential wallet and my personal wallet separate for all the reasons already listed. I’m required by policy to carry a badge and credentials when carrying my agency issued or approved firearm. Since I only carry my personally owned/agency approved G19 or G26 both on and off duty, I have to carry badge and creds off duty. We’re issued two badges. One is a small, flat wallet badge that goes in the credential case. The other is the traditional belt/neck badge. I do not generally carry the belt badge off duty since I have my cred case which has the flat badge in it. I’m not dead set on this for the reasons BBI posted regarding the KCPD study. If I have to get involved in something off duty that would put a gun in my hand, it might be better to be able to also throw the badge around my neck. I always carry the belt badge on duty, in addition to the cred case badge, for if I have to participate in an enforcement action which would involve exposing my holstered gun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Working plainclothes, center chest badge by necklace is best. Easiest way not to get shot - just have to remember to show it off. Also holding a radio helps, every LEO knows what a radio looks like. Plainclothes duty wallet doesn't have any police info at all.

Off duty? A single wallet with badge and ID. No issues there. We have a name for the type of guy who wears a necklace badge around off duty....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    We have a name for the type of guy who wears a necklace badge around off duty....
    We had a guy that had a badge and chain tattooed on his chest and neck, WHILE he was working in a drug task force. He’s since left LE.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    We had a guy that had a badge and chain tattooed on his chest and neck, WHILE he was working in a drug task force. He’s since left LE.
    Wow...

Just Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List