Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 31: iHack SHO & WHO

We are diminished

Week 31: iHack SHO & WHO

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 14: iHack SHO & WHO
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 7-May-2012.

designed from the Hackathorn 3-Second Headshot Standards
    Range: 5yd
    Target: three 2" circles (.pdf target downloadable here)
    Start position: ready
    Rounds fired: 36

The iHack is an indoor range friendly version of the famous Hackathorn 3-Second Headshot Standards. The targets are much closer together but also significantly smaller than the regular version of the drill. This week, we'll be adding another twist: shooting the drill SHO (Strong Hand Only) and WHO (Weak Hand Only).

PAR time is set to six seconds for each string. There are three strings of fire.

1. Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, going from left to right
    2. Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, going from right to left.
    3. Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, beginning with the middle target and then finishing with the two outside targets in any order.

Shots fired after the 6-second PAR time count as misses. In total, you will fire nine rounds (three shots in three seconds for each of the three strings of fire) for each run of the drill. A "passing" score is 7 out of 9.

Start position is any ready position of your choosing so long as the muzzle is not pointed at the target.

Shoot the drill a total of four times (36 shots): twice SHO then twice weak WHO.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • hits for each of the four runs
    • aggregate score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

SHO1: 3
    WHO1: 4
    SHO2: 5
    WHO2: 3
    Total: 15
    Setting the bar low!
    Par time was pretty generous, but even under modest time pressure I started jerking the trigger ~1/2 the time. Need to work on this a lot before Rogers.

Federal AE9FP 147 gr FMJ fired from G19 w/RMR07 holstered in a AIWB Fricke Seraphim concealed under an un-tucked shirt.

Started the training session with the three Defoor Pistol tests--I blew my last shot on #1, hitting just low on the CC, but passed #2 & 3.

I was all set to bring the HATE on ToddG for another close range 2" circle drill, but the incredibly generous 6 sec par time makes me want to sing his praises.

Shot from high ready
    SHO string 1: 9 hits
    SHO string 2: 9 hits
    WHO string 1: 9 hits
    WHO string 2: 9 hits
    Total hits: 36 hits

Just for fun, I re-shot the drill with a 3 sec par time and found out how much I suck--only 23 hits under par time...

Best clean FAST today was 5.46 sec; 500 pt aggregate was only 460-7x, as I threw one shot TOTALLY off the target on the 10 sec portion...

Strong 7 and 7, weak 2 and 4. Total 20. Shot cold from high ready, P30 LEM, 115 gr Blazer.

WHO+LEM=not happy, poor timing, lots of staging and flinching. This prompted a dedicated WHO/SHO pressout session, felt better after, but I had neither time not targets to shoot it again.

Shot with Gen3 G34, Defoor sights, from threat ready.

SHO string 1: 8/9
    SHO string 2: 7/9
    WHO string 1: 8/9
    WHO string 2: 7/9

Total Score: 30/36

Well...I passed, so that's good. But I failed to use the available time well. All the SHO strings were approx. 3.2 to 3.8 seconds. All the WHO strings were approx. 4.2 to 4.8 seconds. 83% hits, under time, should indicate the need to use more of the available time. I kept trying to spend more time pressing the trigger, but the timer just kept showing the same thing...Still, I was not at all sure I would pass this even with the 6 second PAR, so I can't be too unhappy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Shot from high ready
    SHO string 1: 9 hits
    SHO string 2: 9 hits
    WHO string 1: 9 hits
    WHO string 2: 9 hits
    Total hits: 36 hits
    Excellent! Great shooting Doc.

SHO1: 9
    SHO2: 8
    WHO1: 9
    WHO2: 8

34/36

High ready
    HKP30V3

Glad to see Todd does not actually hate us....great drill for transitions and accuracy work.
    As a side note my P30 has passed the 2K round challenge twice in a row I am really going to clean it because I am getting dirty just by touching it.
    In other news, politicians are still crooked and the sun will rise tomorrow
    Taking a break from social media.

We are diminished
    SHO 1: 7
    SHO 2: 8
    WHO 1: 8
    WHO 2: 7

Total: 30/36

I couldn't slow down enough to guarantee my hits. Honestly, the six second PAR seems too long to me. But be that as it may, failure on my part for not braking and getting the hits.

SHO1. 5/9
    SHO2. 2/9
    WHO1. 1/9
    WHO2. 1/9

I don't even want to post this, my shooting was absolutely abysmal. Guess what I practiced after running this drill? That's right, SHO and WHO shooting. By the end of the day I was feeling a little better about myself. I didn't bother running the drill again. What you see is what I shot. It is a good one to try next time though....And for all of you that say 6 seconds seems like a long time....I am working to get to that level. I have to start somewhere right?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Lot2Learn View Post
    I don't even want to post this, my shooting was absolutely abysmal. Guess what I practiced after running this drill? That's right, SHO and WHO shooting. By the end of the day I was feeling a little better about myself. I didn't bother running the drill again. What you see is what I shot.
    There's absolutely no rule against shooting the DotW more than once. I've done it plenty of times. You should definitely report your first run, as you did. But if you then practice the associated skills and run it again, definitely post up the scores and show everyone your improvement. Heck, if the DotW encourages you to work on some previously neglected part of your skill set, I call that a win!

User Tag List