Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 32: Dot Torture

We are diminished

Week 32: Dot Torture

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 32: Dot Torture

results may be posted until 11:59pm EDT on Monday 12-June-2012.

origin unknown; popularized by David Blinder (personaldefensetraining.com)
    Range: 3yd or greater
    Target: ten 2" circles (download pdf here)
    Start position: varies
    Rounds fired: 50

Dot Torture is a comprehensive marksmanship test that is easy to set up on almost any firing range. There is absolutely no time limit. The only thing scored is the number of hits you make out of 50 shots fired. Any bullet that clearly touches the scoring line of the intended target circle is counted as a hit. Rounds that hit a different circle do not count as hits. There are no make-up shots allowed; you must fire exactly fifty total rounds in the specified order.

If you have never done this before, shoot the test at three yards. If you have successfully shot a perfect 50 at three yards in the past, you can shoot it at any distance that challenges you.

1. Dot 1 – Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.
    2. Dot 2 – Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.
    3. Dots 3 & 4 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, holster and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.
    4. Dot 5 – Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.
    5. Dots 6 & 7 – Draw and fire 2 shots on #6, then 2 on #7, holster, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.
    6. Dot 8 – From ready or retention, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.
    7. Dots 9 & 10 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #9, reload, fire 1 shot on #10, holster and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.

Note: if you are using the Q-PT target, the strings work out slightly different:
    1. Dot A – Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.
    2. Dot A (again) – Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.
    3. Dots 1 & 2 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #1, then 1 shot on #2, holster and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.
    4. Dot 3 – Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.
    5. Dots 4 & 5 – Draw and fire 2 shots on #4, then 2 on #5, holster, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.
    6. Dot 6 – From ready or retention, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.
    7. Dot B – Draw and fire 1 shot, reload, fire 1 more shot, holster, and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.

Please report both your score and the distance to the target when you post your results in this thread.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

One item of note. If you print the target from a browser previewing the PDF, rather than directly downloading and printing from adobe acrobat (or reader) you may end up with smaller than 2 inch circles. You can verify with a ruler.

I've been working this drill for about a month now. The SHO/WHO component is where I usually have troubles. That and trying to go too fast on dots 3+4 and 6+7. I've been recording my scores and the equipment I was using. There has been measurable improvement in my results in just a few weeks. The structured practice this drill provides is great. So far, it seems to be the most productive way for me to spend 50 rounds.

Today, I shot a 40/50 cold, at 5 yards. This was with a G17 drawing from a VM2. I've done better at 3 yards and much worse at 7 yards.
    - Full Time Geek
    - NRA Certified Instructor
    - USPSA Competitor (A-69999)

In addition to the FAST, Dot Torture is on my list of drills for nearly every range session. Provides a great "refresher" for trigger control and sight alignment/sight picture prior to moving on to the more fast-paced drills. I've found that my scores on speed- and manipulation-intense drills are frequently higher when performed immediately after Dot Torture than if performed after the FAST.

Here's an example from my range log:

11 MAR 2012

FAST (Best of 3): 6.92 (c)
    10-8 Standards, 6.5 sec PAR: 59/65
    Hackathorn Standards: 259/300
    Humbler: 569/700

13 MAR 2012

FAST (Best of 3): 7.37 (c)
    Dot Torture, 5 yards: 48/50 (-1 on 2, -1 on 8)
    10-8 Standards, 6.5 sec PAR: 63/65
    Hackathorn Standards: 270/300 (New PR)
    Humbler: 582/700 (New PR)

Scores for my last 5 Dot Tortures (all at 5 yards) have been 48, 49, 48, 47 and 49. It's the best mental preparation for the remainder of the practice session I've come across, as I'll frequently shoot clean until the bottom row, where I drop 1 or 2. It knocks the wind out of my sails, while at the same time providing me an opportunity to identify the source of my shortcoming(s), refocus on fundamentals and pull it together for the next drill.

We are diminished
    This thread is for reporting this week's drill results. If you want to discuss DotTor in general, please do so in a different thread per the instructions referenced at the top of the first post.

I ran and ran this drill with the high power today. I am fascinated by my ability to mash the trigger at least once in slow fire on target one, but make a ragged hole from the holster (or ready, on the indoor range) on both the second and third targets. I never beat a 39; I only landed 1 out of 25 tries WHO (and no, I'm not that bad with a 1911). If I wasn't so focused on getting the P35 through its 2000 rounds, I would have gone out to the car and brought the Kimber in.

5 Yards. Score 47. 1 miss each on 2, 3, and 8.
    I need to be more patient on this drill. I start to hurry and pull shots low. Shot it with a M&P9 Pro.

Dot Torture
    5 yards
    Gen 4 G17
    Score: 50/50

5 yds
    G19 w/RDS
    48/50 (stupidly mashed one low on #3 and needlessly rushed a shot on #10)

Did the three Defoor Drills cold, passed #2 & 3, but dropped a shot at 7 yds on #1; best clean FAST was 5.42 sec...

3 yards
    49 out of 50
    3rd Gen G17
    Mashed a SHO shot on 5

Name:  2012-06-05_11-13-09_758.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  45.6 KB

User Tag List