Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 and improving time from concealed draw to first shot

This range report shooting the 5x5 classifier with a G19 and then a G44 is not about draw to first shot of course. However their observations reveal some clues.

Most importantly:
    1. G44 trigger was somewhat lighter than the shooter's G19 trigger
    2. Shooter's hits were somewhat worse shooting the G44.

The shooter observed he thought he could blaze and his trigger press and recoil anticipation dispersed his .22 hits a bit more.

Light pistols can be tricky. If one got to a high level of performance in a draw to first shot to a low probability target - I bet their fundamentals will translate well to their Glock standard frame centerfire shooting.

A watch out would be don't cheat the grip due to light recoil and maybe lighter trigger. I've been vulnerable to that training dry fire and it bites ya in the ass in live fire.

Last edited by JHC; 01-09-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@JHC thanks for that range report. That’s very useful. I’m going to pump the brakes on my planned G44 purchase until I can shoot one.

Site Supporter
    I have not rear all of the responses so forgive if I repeat something already mentioned. First there is no better reason to get a Glock 44 than because you want a Glock 44. I think the 44 will provide some noise and some recoil and dry fire will produce neither. I think dry fire with your actual gun will help you as much as a 44 will but that is my totally unproved opinion. Honestly I think using your only gun and breaking the first shot with your actual carry gun will help more than the 44.
    In the wake of the Texas shooting a friend and I went to the range Sunday afternoon. We focused on draw to first shot and then reholstered documented time and then shot again. We would shoot 5-10 reps a piece and then let the other shoot. The day before in 2 hours I had shot 300+ rounds. On Sunday at the end of the day I had shot 101 rounds in 3 hours and 20 of those were rapid fire at a moving target rig. In all honesty that was the cheapest most beneficial range trip I have ever made.
    If you want the 44 that is a great idea. If you want to improve draw and first shot I think dry fire and a shot timer at the range will help as much as anything

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This range report shooting the 5x5 classifier with a G19 and then a G44 is not about draw to first shot of course. However their observations reveal some clues.

Most importantly:
    1. G44 trigger was somewhat lighter than the shooter's G19 trigger
    2. Shooter's hits were somewhat worse shooting the G44.

The shooter observed he thought he could blaze and his trigger press and recoil anticipation dispersed his .22 hits a bit more.

Light pistols can be tricky. If one got to a high level of performance in a draw to first shot to a low probability target - I bet their fundamentals will translate well to their Glock standard frame centerfire shooting.

A watch out would be don't cheat the grip due to light recoil and maybe lighter trigger. I've been vulnerable to that training dry fire and it bites ya in the ass in live fire.

This was borderline painful to watch. First, the shooter is a “hinger,” which hurts his performance and is visually unattractive. Second, I would suggest that the 5x5 drill is exactly the kind of a drill you should not do as a benchmark against a 9mm, as it is basically a recoil control drill. Use the G44 as dry fire with target variation, for practicing one shot and transition, or slowish B8 shooting where you are testing sights and trigger and grip is irrelevant.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    the shooter is a “hinger,”
    Is that the guy in the black shirt, bending way over at the waist?

This was borderline painful to watch. First, the shooter is a “hinger,” which hurts his performance and is visually unattractive. Second, I would suggest that the 5x5 drill is exactly the kind of a drill you should not do as a benchmark against a 9mm, as it is basically a recoil control drill. Use the G44 as dry fire with target variation, for practicing one shot and transition, or slowish B8 shooting where you are testing sights and trigger and grip is irrelevant.
    I agree and I have agreed it could be useful for skill development such as those you have mentioned or IMO in the OP's use case also. They did a useful service however by comparing the two in ANY shooting test - not for the 5x5 scores per se, but for the observations they made about managing the 44.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Name:  8BD5864C-08C8-472A-A36B-AC57B2CE63C4.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  66.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Exaggerated, but a very short vid on hinging:

Exaggerated, but a very short vid on hinging:

I used to have that bad habit, along with locking my elbows out. Both have since been fixed.

the only thing 22lr does for me is make 9mm minor feel like 9major power factor when i switch back to it.

User Tag List