Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 and improving time from concealed draw to first shot

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Right from that thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ull=1#post3139

And he was talking about firing one full power centerfire shot. Using a rimfire just makes it worse.

I know, I couldn't help myself.....
    I mentioned in my post #5 and #15 I was aware of issues with this drill. That's the thread I found TLG's thoughts on the drill and that got me thinking about the cons of focusing on this drill with any pistol.

He also says in his .22 training post that .22's are beneficial for practicing draw stroke & marksmanship, but not recoil management or multiple shots drills to the same target, which I also acknowledged in post #15. I get you disagree with that opinion.

So I'm not sure of your point or what value you are adding to the discussion now as you've made it clear that you think rimfire practice is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Right from that thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ull=1#post3139

And he was talking about firing one full power centerfire shot. Using a rimfire just makes it worse.

I know, I couldn't help myself.....
    I missed this bit of the discussion. I agree. The only time I use single shot is when I am missing and cant call which shot is a miss, draw or follow up.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far.

I believe live practice beats dry practice, assuming time and money are no issue.
    This is actually incorrect. There are certain things that should be practiced in dry fire. It helps to isolate to focus on a particular skill. The recoil actually could be often a distraction preventing you from understanding why exactly something is not working. A lot of top shooters actually dry fire at the RANGE in addition to live fire.
    Last edited by cheby; 01-02-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Also, I didn't mention earlier - I think all the shooting done with 22 should be made a good bit harder, accuracy wise. In my goal - the head shots I count good with the 22 must be in the 4" zero in the head box, with the 9mm inside the head box is acceptable. Also, I think you should maintain more rounds fired with your center fire overall than with the 22, or else you will have probably start having grip, recoil management and probably timing issues with you center fire.

I don't think you can take anything you can do with the 22 and think you can/will do the same with centerfire - but IMO, it is a stepping stone into being able to do so with your centerfire. YMMV.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Set up a widely spaced steel array, and knock yourself out with a .22. The draw and first shot is similar, as is the transition.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I don't think you can take anything you can do with the 22 and think you can/will do the same with centerfire - but IMO, it is a stepping stone into being able to do so with your centerfire. YMMV.
    While being able to do it with a Glock 44, for example doesn’t mean you can do it with a Glock 19, if you can’t do it with a Glock 44 you probably can NOT do it with a 19.

There are three core skills — align the sights, press the trigger and control recoil. The .22 allows you to practice the sights and trigger part.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, use of the .22 is a SUPPLEMENT to practice with full caliber ammunition, NOT a replacement. Unless you are in a situation where the centerfire ammo is hard to find or unreasonably expensive or something.

Or if you have access to an older range with a backstop that only takes .22s or something. 35+ years ago I had occasional access to a 50 foot indoor range in an Army National Guard armory where you could only shoot .22s. So we shot .22 target pistols and my S&W 18 and an AR with a .22 conversion unit. So we'd go in there once a month after we got off work at 0700 and shoot for an hour. Everything we did was accuracy based on reduced targets and it was good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While being able to do it with a Glock 44, for example doesn’t mean you can do it with a Glock 19, if you can’t do it with a Glock 44 you probably can NOT do it with a 19.

There are three core skills — align the sights, press the trigger and control recoil. The .22 allows you to practice the sights and trigger part.
    I think the feathweight 44 will make it more challenging than with the heavier pistol. Fundamentals will need to be on point if it's to a low probability target.

I have been persuaded that learning a fast accurate first single shot is thee most important step overall. We have scads of life feedback that a first dead nuts hit has a very strong correlation with successful outcomes. I should think the .22 helpful for that.

#JackWilson
    Last edited by JHC; 01-07-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    FWIW, I find it an odd argument that dry fire is beneficial but rim fire training isn't. Any argument against rim fire applies equally, or more so, to dry fire. If you aren't honest with yourself, "calling your shots", just going through the motions, etc. dry fire can build and reinforce all the bad habits that are being laid at the feet of rim fires. I view this option as sort of a "dry fire with verification" middle ground.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    FWIW, I find it an odd argument that dry fire is beneficial but rim fire training isn't. Any argument against rim fire applies equally, or more so, to dry fire. If you aren't honest with yourself, "calling your shots", just going through the motions, etc. dry fire can build and reinforce all the bad habits that are being laid at the feet of rim fires. I view this option as sort of a "dry fire with verification" middle ground.
    This.

I can pick up my Ruger Mk IV, shoot a few mags through it, and then pick up a totally different gun and still shoot that gun better.

Calling shots, trigger press, sight alignment...these are all things that are grossly underrated.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List