Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 44 and improving time from concealed draw to first shot

Site Supporter

Glock 44 and improving time from concealed draw to first shot

With the recent church shooting, one of my goals this year is to improve my time from draw to concealment to first shot this year.

My EDC, when not in an NPE, is a G19 IWB for Spring/Summer/Fall and a G17 in the winter so I'm thinking a G44 is a cost effective way to improve this time (plus I just have the "wantsies" :-) ).

I'm telling myself that if the trigger pull is really the same a 9MM Glock, the lack of recoil won't matter in time from draw to first shot.

What says the hive mind? Is the assumption that lack of recoil here is irrelevant valid?

Any other thoughts on improving this time besides lots more dry practice and live fire with my EDC?

TIA.
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 01-02-2020 at 12:34 AM.

It could be a good way to get in more reps at lower cost. However I think the potential pitfall is that is the light recoil will allow you to get away with being sloppy with your grip, and you won't be setting yourself up for a multiple-shot string with a full-recoiling G19. To be fair, the same thing can happen in dry fire practice, or using a SIRT, or even working a centerfire pistol when doing single-shot draws. It's not insurmountable, you just have to be aware and actively working to counteract the effect.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

You don't practice draws in live fire.

You practice draws in your home with a shot timer.

You confirm your dry fire draw tines in live fire.

Site Supporter
    Well, I practice draws live fire with a timer. Sometimes from concealment and sometimes from my duty rig.

Sometimes/most often with the "real" gun and sometimes with one of the .22s.

Todd Louis Green wrote a useful article about using .22 conversion units in training:

http://pistol-training.com/articles/...tols-pros-cons

Site Supporter
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far.

I really didn't want to get into a debate about live vs. dry practice in this thread, but I believe live practice beats dry practice, assuming time and money are no issue. I realize this is a feeling, and as Doc says feelings can lie, but I feel live practice with a G44 if it really has an identical trigger, size, and sights, beats dry practice with a G19.

As of today, I'm semi-retired so time isn't much of an issue, but unfortunately money and wear/tear on the body are still concerns. I dry practice now, but with a .22LR, I can financially and physically afford to live practice this drill, and others, up to 5 times a week. I'm not going to stop shooting 9MM or other dry practice, but I'm not going to shot more 9MM at the moment.

Just started thinking about this drill today and found some of the pros/cons in other threads after posting. Should have picked better search terms. Didn't think much about grip at first, but I see how this drill, and a .22 LR, can hide issues with grip now.

Thanks for the link to Todd's thoughts. I read that years ago, but forgot all about it as I've never thought seriously about practicing with a .22LR. I should have searched PT, too. My bad.

Shouldn't have asked for other tips on improving time to first shot as I've been finding those, really wanted to focus on the pros/cons of using a G44 for this drill and Todd's post covers a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    Shouldn't have asked for other tips on improving time to first shot as I've been finding those, really wanted to focus on the pros/cons of using a G44 for this drill and Todd's post covers a lot of them.
    Sounds like a foregone conclusion then.

Site Supporter
    Still researching and thinking about it so haven't made up my mind, but leaning towards the pros out way the cons, especially for this drill. One thought I've had is to try it for a while and see if my performance with a 9MM suffers when I shot my regular drills.

I'm always willing to hear more pros/cons, but I now regret opening the thread as I found a lot more info after I searched on "22 trainer" vs."Glock 44 draw to first shot". My bad - I was too focused on a G44 and wasn't searching generically enough which is usually not a problem I have.

I'm thankful for the link to Todd's post and for everyone's thoughts/time that did reply.

I'm fine with closing the thread or keeping it open if the mods think there is value to add that hasn't been covered in the other .22LR trainer threads.
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 01-02-2020 at 05:40 AM.

The large weight difference between a loaded 19/17 vs the 44 will probably cause issues. I would use 44 for low cost shooting rather than gun handling. At some point the .22 just stops being helpful outside of the accuracy practice, low recoil, and lower ammo cost.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The large weight difference between a loaded 19/17 vs the 44 will probably cause issues. I would use 44 for low cost shooting rather than gun handling. At some point the .22 just stops being helpful outside of the accuracy practice, low recoil, and lower ammo cost.
    Good point about the weight. Looks like a ~14 oz difference G19/G44 based on Glock's spec.

If I go this route, I would have to see if any the weighted grip plugs will fit and if there in one heavy enough to make up that difference. If not, I bet there's one on it's way.

Never thought about weight with an unloaded G19/G17 or Sirt (~21 oz) when dry practicing, though. Maybe I should.
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 01-02-2020 at 06:52 AM.

deleted
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-02-2020 at 06:56 AM.

User Tag List