Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Glock 44 and improving time from concealed draw to first shot

A place to go:

GSSF Rimfire Division
    The Rimfire Division is for the GLOCK model G44. Rimfire Division entries qualify for the “500 Club” special recognition patch.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter

Glock 44

So I picked up a Glock 44 on Friday.

I ran 200 rounds of CCI mini mags through it with 100% reliability (!!!)

The trigger was crisp. I shot it at 30 and 50 feet on the indoor range. At 50 feet the gun seemed to shoot a little high for me and the group opened up, but that may have been me and not the gun.

This has been an interesting read, and I will revisit, when I have more time.

At this moment, I must say is that I hate to think where my skill level might be, had I not owned my S&W Model 17-4 .22 LR revolving pistol, when .40 S&W recoil became too much for my formerly-stronger hand, starting at age forty-nine. (Thumb and wrist, to be precise.) .40 was the mandated duty cartridge, and the duty pistol choice was narrow. My choice was a SIG P229R DAK, which nicely mimics the DA stroke of a K-Frame S&W revolver. During a 60-round qual, 48 shots were fired “strong” hand, and that is exactly how many shots of .40 I fired, right-handed, annually. My other right-handed shots were fired with some milder centerfire, and, mostly, .22 LR.

Being able to carry a 9mm Glock G19 or G17, on duty, was my 54th birthday gift, but that was partially taken-back two years later, when a G19 became too much, unless I installed a WML on the rail, to damp muzzle flip, but, by then, the range officers were enforcing the no-WML rule*. Fortunately, a G17 remained, and still remains shootable, in reasonable quantity, so I can continue to train realistically, in moderation, right-handed. I look forward to acquiring a G44, to use as a training supplement.

Those who know me might wonder why I did not simply started carrying lefty, as I am a natural left-handed person, and was functionally ambidextrous with that P229. Well, with a proper thumb-forward grasp, with my right hand in the support role, the recoil dynamics of that .40 P229 were still brutal, to my right wrist. Plus, carrying @ 0300 meant that my healthier left hand remained available for plenty of other important tasks. The long-term remediation was to switch to a lower-bore-axis weapon, and get away from .40 Snap & Whip.

*I never managed to attend one of the far-too-few WML certification training classes, that would have enabled me to use a WML on duty.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter

Glock 44

I've had my G44 for about 5 weeks and put 1,700 rounds (testing 8 different kinds of .22 ammo) through it and had NO malfunctions.

I shot 200 or so rounds each time (once I shot 300) and cleaned the gun after every range session.

I mostly did accuracy drills at 50 feet on reduced silhouettes.

I think it's a good way to practice some basic skills for cheap. As somebody in this discussion said, one has to be sure not to get sloppy with the grip tension on the support hand.

User Tag List