Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Novelty in a practical world.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Didn't S&W try a classic line a few years back? That probably sold a few guns to a few old guys but that was it.
    That is true, and I probably should have worded it differently... "older models that are still viable working guns but out of production and hard to find" or some such thing. The Germans probably have a 52 character word that would fill the bill, but I haven't hit upon the right English term.

g n

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Recently, a trainer made a social media post about how he viewed firearms as tools only, and didn't even like going to the range for enjoyment. There was some backlash and apparently a few other industry people showed their ass (on social media, no way.) But I didnt catch that part.

Point is there is a dichotomy of Tool vs Enjoyment. Skill vs Fun.

While many here happen to enjoy firearms as a hobby, it tends to be in addition to viewing them as a tool. That's probably why the grounded recommendation of "G19 and ammo" is so prevelent here.

-Cory
    Who was that? I’m now super curious to see what was actually said.

I don’t understand someone running a business based on training people how to use something that you don’t even enjoy. Why would you spend that much of your life doing something you hate?
    Last edited by zpelletier; 01-02-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Gun buying days are over

Assuming that my house does not burn down and no gun thefts, my gun buying days ended about four years ago when I retired. Got my one and only plastic gun (G17), .22 handguns, .22 rifles, shotgun, PPC guns, snubbies. As a retirement gift, I splurged and purchased a .357 Henry rifle. Got reloading dies to cover the centerfire stuff. Took a Dave Ramsey financial course about five years ago, so he really, really, makes you think twice about buying anything. Do I really need this item ? Can I get by with something else ? The gun manufacturers must really hate me. LOL.

3-D printing is now so ubiquitous even the library in my rural county has a bunch that can be accessed online. Youngin's are being exposed to manufacturing processes in their pre-teen years. Objects that have been impossible to make (e.g. one-piece parts with voids inside) are now possible.

Rapid prototyping and like is only going to push the "novelty" trend. The g44 and the 57 are harbingers of the future.

And it is possible the standard Glock may not be last word in handguns. Who knows, maybe the analog to JMB for the 21st century is playing around with computer files right now, and wondering if she can make her design which is even simpler than Gaston's creation with some of the new materials recently created.

But you probably have to go through quite a few Dardicks to get to the next Glock. Good thing that is a process that will only get cheaper.

Capitalism can be awesome.

(Doesn't mean those of us with a perfectly serviceable set of tools need to fund these efforts. 😉 )
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    Who was that? I’m now super curious to see what was actually said.

I don’t understand someone running a business based on training people how to use something that you don’t even enjoy. Why would you spend that much of your life doing something you hate?
    First I've heard of it, so I couldn't say who it is. At the same time, even if you don't love something you're good at, there's still nothing wrong with making a career out of it. I build homes, and while I do like my job more often than not (the construction part anyway), I don't go home and rip more plywood just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    First I've heard of it, so I couldn't say who it is. At the same time, even if you don't love something you're good at, there's still nothing wrong with making a career out of it. I build homes, and while I do like my job more often than not (the construction part anyway), I don't go home and rip more plywood just for fun.
    I understand what you’re saying. I’m an electrician, I don’t go home and pull wires and splice outlets for fun, but if I went through the effort of creating social media accounts and putting my business on display in that way, it seems like poor advertising to make statements that lead people to think you don’t enjoy your job.

I understand what you’re saying. I’m an electrician, I don’t go home and pull wires and splice outlets for fun, but if I went through the effort of creating social media accounts and putting my business on display in that way, it seems like poor advertising to make statements that lead people to think you don’t enjoy your job.
    Listen to a few long form podcasts and you'll change your perspective on a lot of "big name" instructors.
    It's harder to disguise who you really are over the course of an unscripted hour or two than it is in 5 minute edited YouTube videos or a Instagram "love me" account.

I will say that one person I had a positive perception of that was reinforced in long form was Bolke on P&S.
    I like his contributions on here and I liked what I heard from him on the podcasts as well.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-02-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Listen to a few long form podcasts and you'll change your perspective on a lot of "big name" instructors.
    It's harder to disguise who you really are over the course of an unscripted hour or two than it is in 5 minute edited YouTube videos or a Instagram "love me" account.

I will say that one person I had a positive perception of that was reinforced in long form was Bolke on P&S.
    I like his contributions on here and I liked what I heard from him on the podcasts as well.
    Honestly, I don’t think I pay attention enough to know many “big name” instructors. Most of the ones I’ve heard of have also said or done things that bring up questions about their motivation. Most people on Instagram are just trying to look cool. I’m not even sure how you would separate good instructors from bad without a pretty serious amount of research. I think the only ones I know of who seem on the up and up are the guys at FieldCraft, but I could be wrong about them too.
    Last edited by zpelletier; 01-02-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Grammar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Wish someone would build an actual Compact and Lightweight, Scout-like, .308 Bolt Gun. That would clearly be novel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Honestly, I don’t think I pay attention enough to know many “big name” instructors. Most of the ones I’ve heard of have also said or done things that bring up questions about their motivation. Most people on Instagram are just trying to look cool. I’m not even sure how you would separate good instructors from bad without a pretty serious amount of research. I think the only ones I know of who seem on the up and up are the guys at FieldCraft, but I could be wrong about them too.
    If they post a class here on PF they're probably pretty good. I haven't heard otherwise.

Even so, while I would love to shoot all day every day and get paid handsomely for it, I suspect it'd still lose some appeal after a while if it was my actual day job.

User Tag List