Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Ruger LCR .38 - Tips for Selecting?

Used Ruger LCR .38 - Tips for Selecting?

I want to pick up a LCR .38. Local gun shop has a couple used ones. Would you buy a used LCR .38 and, if so, what kind of things would you look for in the gun to select one?

A search wasn't too helpful.

happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Many people love the LCR. Many have replaced j frames as a snub for many. People generally like the triggers as they find them smoother than many small stock revolvers.

There is the choice 38 vs 357. I would stick to shooting 38 out of either. If I could tolerate the additional weight of the 357 I would go that way. I figure the few ounces will help reduce recoil.

I have owned several my only negatives were its a little larger than a j frame and prefer the j for pocket carry. I didn't like trigger I would short stroke the reset.

I had a .357 and currently have a .38 LCR. I bought both new. They both worked well and I had no issues. If you want a comparison with a broken in, bought from new gun to the ones available at the LGS, let me know and I can get my .38 out if it will help.

I'm about as far away from a revolver guy as you can get (both my LCRs were my first and second revolvers, like, ever) so I am interested in the comments of the more experienced guys here as to input.

I have two. Both are in .38 and that is the caliber I would recommend over the .357. Nice trigger directly out of the box. Much more accurate at 15 yards than I expected, and hits to POA. Not much to go wrong with these pistols unless they have flat out been abused. I know I am in the minority on this forum, but I have never had much luck with "J" frame S&W revolvers, or for that matter S&W "K", "L", "N" frame revolvers either - going back to 1972.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have two. Both are in .38 and that is the caliber I would recommend over the .357. Nice trigger directly out of the box. Much more accurate at 15 yards than I expected, and hits to POA. Not much to go wrong with these pistols unless they have flat out been abused. I know I am in the minority on this forum, but I have never had much luck with "J" frame S&W revolvers, or for that matter S&W "K", "L", "N" frame revolvers either - going back to 1972.
    Question for you - what weight ammo does yours hit POA with?
    I have zero experience with the LCR.

Site Supporter
    I bought a used LCR38 this summer after more than 2 decades of owning and shooting j-frames. I see no reason not to buy a used one as long as it wasn't obviously abused or has some other obvious flaw. The guns are well made by a reputable company. I'd vet one like any other revolver.

Compared to the j-frame, the only negatives to me are the slight increase in size and the short-stroke issue mentioned. Neither have been a factor in actual use though. The benefits are much improved sights, much better trigger, and slight weight decrease compared to my airweight 38. I shoot the ugly little gun better than my S&W j-frame so much that I'll probably end up with a 3" 357 model and/or 22lr model.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Though I'm not 1911Nut, I'll presume to reply as an owner of two identical LCRs in .38 Special, that they both hit right to POA with 148gr wadcutters*.

(I can't speak to other 148gr wadcutter brands than one since I had good luck with the first wadcutter brand tried [Delta Precision], and looked no further, after having first shot Gold Dot 135gr+P short barrel JHP [hit low and right] and Remington 158gr+P LSWCHP [hit high] with disappointing results, at 10 yards.)

YMMV, etc., and I'd wish rather that Speer's 135gr short barrel load had won the laurels, but it didn't, in my guns, in my hands, and for me POI = POA is paramount, since I don't regard snubbies as "belly guns only".

*To be specific, Delta Precision brand Premium is what's carried in both guns, since I have taken care to verify by trial & error than Delta Precision's 148gr HBWC remanufactured practice load and their Premium load both hit right to the same POA, making for less expensive practice.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I checked my notes on this pistol. Actual point of impact is 1" high at 15 yards with both the following loads:

Buffalo Bore Item #20C Factory 158 gr. SWCHP. This is a very soft bullet and I only use it for EDC. This load provides 827 FPS MV according to my chronograph. ES is only 12 FPS and SD is 6 FPS.

Handload consisting of an Oregon Trail 158 gr. SWC with 4.8 grains of Winchester 231 powder, and a W-W small pistol primer in Winchester cases. This OT bullet is hard and does not lead much at all. This load provides 835 FPS MV with an ES of 37 FPS and the SD is 13 FPS.

Recoil is stout, but manageable.

Site Supporter
    I would look for excessive play in the cylinder. (Does it slide back and forth with the cylinder closed.)

Does the timing work well. (No hitches or binding while dry firing).

With the trigger pulled back is there lot of cylinder play.

Check the breach face and forcing cone for wear.

With that said. I did all that with a used Ruger Gp100 and once I actually got it to the range I did have binding problems. So I sent my used revolver back to Ruger and for a $30 FedEx shipping label they fixed it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I bought a used LCR38 this summer after more than 2 decades of owning and shooting j-frames. I see no reason not to buy a used one as long as it wasn't obviously abused or has some other obvious flaw. The guns are well made by a reputable company. I'd vet one like any other revolver.

Compared to the j-frame, the only negatives to me are the slight increase in size and the short-stroke issue mentioned. Neither have been a factor in actual use though. The benefits are much improved sights, much better trigger, and slight weight decrease compared to my airweight 38. I shoot the ugly little gun better than my S&W j-frame so much that I'll probably end up with a 3" 357 model and/or 22lr model.

Chris
    Once again, I don’t have to type a response. This, all of it, literally verbatim as written.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List