Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Our big, fun Iraq discussion thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Because Trump strikes me as having the impulse control of a toddler on meth.
    No one is saying he doesn’t, but do you think the professionals didn’t have contingency plans ready to go to take this guy out when the opportunity presented itself is naïve at Best.

Chalk it up to even a stopped clock being right twice a day if you wish, but dude was a legitimate target who “needed dead” Along time ago.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-03-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

"Say, that guy looks a lot like me. I wonder if he drives buses too...?"
    Last edited by blues; 01-03-2020 at 06:24 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I think we all agree the world is better off without Qassem Soleimani living and breathing. The question is whether it is in the best interests of the United States for this operation to be done so spectacularly or whether being able to not be positively linked and/or very quietly happened is better for our national security interests. I expect the "how and where" was extensively debated before the operation was approved, and it was decided that the spectacular public nature of the operation was in the best interests of the country. I just hope it was the right decision for the long term.

Event: Due to heightened tensions in Iraq and the region, the U.S. Embassy urges American citizens to heed the January 2020 Travel Advisory and depart Iraq immediately. U.S. citizens should depart via airline while possible, and failing that, to other countries via land.
    https://iq.usembassy.gov/security-al...9RacG8.twitter

I'm hoping American citizens pay attention to this. I expect there will be some serious riots in the country soon enough and the airport in Baghdad may be closed.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I expect the "how and where" was extensively debated before the operation was approved, and it was decided that the spectacular public nature of the operation was in the best interests of the country.
    I hope so, but I suspect this is what both me and Stephanie B are worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I hope so, but I suspect this is what both me and Stephanie B are worried about.
    I think more than a few of us are concerned with how the decisions are made and why. Hopefully, they achieve the intended result in the most expedient manner.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    https://iq.usembassy.gov/security-al...9RacG8.twitter

I'm hoping American citizens pay attention to this. I expect there will be some serious riots in the country soon enough and the airport in Baghdad may be closed.
    First, American citizens need to stay out of war zones unless they have a very good reason to be there - aka a job to do. The PF rule of "do not go to stupid places..."
    Second, the Iraq government needs BIAP open more than the US does.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I think we all agree the world is better off without Qassem Soleimani living and breathing. The question is whether it is in the best interests of the United States for this operation to be done so spectacularly or whether being able to not be positively linked and/or very quietly happened is better for our national security interests. I expect the "how and where" was extensively debated before the operation was approved, and it was decided that the spectacular public nature of the operation was in the best interests of the country. I just hope it was the right decision for the long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    In all seriousness, Soleimani was a pro didn’t live as long as he did by being an easy target. This was as close to catching him slipping as it was gonna get.

Site Supporter
    I keep thinking of one of our Up-armored HMMWVs with the hole through the passenger door from an EFP and the devastation on the American crew inside. We knew it was Iranian. We should have dealt with this in 2005 or earlier. Turning the other cheek will not work - bullies have to be confronted.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I keep thinking of one of our Up-armored HMMWVs with the hole through the passenger door from an EFP and the devastation on the American crew inside. We knew it was Iranian. We should have dealt with this in 2005 or earlier. Turning the other cheek will not work - bullies have to be confronted.
    For background:

Five things you should know about Iranian EFPs that killed American troops in Iraq

https://connectingvets.radio.com/art...gk9Ba0OVigwkks

See also:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008272327004&__tn__=CH-R&eid=ARD8h4otqkEV2C6R6cmE2jkhC8b9XQHwzVfffJ90atBo nkIze5Vda1f83h8tLGpqAbCVYFMWTiIot2j9&hc_ref=ARSP7w qiWv-rl7iQE2h8QCoJvrCFZZlLvzZyHtBwJ9VGbB99xDaI4S1YpCrJG L9l5Bo&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARApIm2OMVupMkfcUSt5DYITs0sXS1aozzhxGmpD_DHJfe iFoQjN8xLTpq5wewjnmgh6CuZX5O7BtvGn9gZjTv1JtLLuKGTX Vb2b9Y_b7N0DVrrBZjpmI_cYxYEdoYZ_MV25LqrAL_8AtuCSq0 n-UoWeqKPLW7CMJjIUY046XulOLcLibA7rjKpR_IbnlTUJr1pYi_ iKUAZQjg34nIike1H8ED8nJQEHKsspHrBNkhxT85pmvp0VPa_k ur9PoO5h2i_mUHDMMCYoSh_r46ibsRSKDlCIeryJljb-ZuRPJUZF8LgQZYaxsyrBsIOT7T6-XobS0bG_a5CXsWK-JOtll9_DrQ

Name:  D9F1587F-4EA1-4124-BE92-5FDC4B445C0B.jpeg
Views: 523
Size:  62.0 KB

For those people who want to apologize to Iran for the killing of Qassem Soleimani, I present you with Army Captain Brian S. Freeman.
    Brian was a loving husband, father, Olympic caliber athlete and Army Civil Affairs team leader who actually cared about people regardless of who they were, where they came from, what God they worshipped, or their politics.
    13 years ago this month, Cpt. Brian Freeman and his team of Civil Affairs soldiers were in Karbala, Iraq at a meeting to help improve the lives of the people of that province.
    During that meeting, a team under the command of Gen. Qassem Soleimani, stormed in, killing a number of American's, and capturing Brian and several members of his team.
    The captured CA team members were handcuffed, driven away from the meeting and later executed. Once found, in spite of our best efforts, several medics, including myself, unsuccessfully attempted to save Brian.
    Captain Freeman is but one of the lives lost due to the evil of Qassem Soleimani. Qassem Soleimani was an evil person whose end, regardless of the politics surrounding it is a good thing.
    With that, anyone apologizing to Iran for Soleimani's death is, I feel, pandering to an oppressive regime out of either ignorance, moral bankruptcy, or in a heartless attempt at self-promotion.
    Rest in Peace Brian.
    (If you feel the same, please share this post.)
    https://www.iraqwarheroes.org/freemanbs.htm
    Last edited by HCM; 01-03-2020 at 07:11 PM.

User Tag List