Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Our big, fun Iraq discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Just curious, is there any chance anyone in this thread is going to change their mind about anything? This might not be a road worth traveling.
    You've implied that a dynamic exchange of ideas on the internet has little value. You savage!

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Care to explain why an enlisted Air Force veteran cant quote Col. Boyd? Or why that quote is incorrect?
    I've tried to engage with you before, but your arguments are strawmen and non-sequiturs, they are simple-minded, they don't address the issues I raise, and they are out touch with reality.

And of course you can quote whoever you want. But just because you were in the AF doesn't mean that you are right. I work in the big leagues, and if you are bulls!tting -- whether or not you're wearing a uniform -- it will be apparent.

I have a helluva lot of respect for enlisted folks. My dad was an E-9 in the Navy, and I learned a lot about leadership and common sense from him. And I learned when to be quiet. When I worked in a lab, I had some enlisted guys assigned to my branch. Guys that had been overseas and lost a leg. If they told me my idea wouldn't work with a hot, stressed out 23 year old kid on a dusty road in Iraq or Afghanistan, they told us, and I sure as hell listened and respected their input.

I wanted to follow my fathers footsteps and join the sub program, but I am deaf in one ear and Rickover rejected me, so I stayed in school and got a PhD in engineering. I've worked in the defense industry since Reagan was president. I've worked in the foremost government and contractor labs, in the Pentagon, out in the field and at bases and commands. One of the labs I worked in was shut down during perestroika and glasnost and was rumored to be the first lab that the Russians wanted to tour. I've briefed Congressional staffers, and I got the memo from the Senators the next day. I have worked on the two largest DoD acquisition programs, and I've seen things that very few people have seen. Having said all of this, I'm just a lowly fed and to be honest I don't know jack sh!t, but I learned to STFU when I didn't know what I was talking about.

You can share your resume with someone else who might give a shit. Plenty of people studied under Col. Boyd , and others have blatantly plagiarized his work as their own.
    Sure, plenty of people studied under John Boyd. Did you?

Not sure why you bring up plagiarism. Oh yeah - just another distraction that adds NOTHING to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I've tried to engage with you before, but your arguments are strawmen and non-sequiturs, they are simple-minded, they don't address the issues I raise, and they are out touch with reality..
    So instead of responding to my PM directly ,you post a rant on this thread. Duly noted.

Credibility is built on actions, not job titles or resumes.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

...on second thought...
    Last edited by blues; 01-06-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

So instead of responding to my PM directly ,you post a rant on this thread. Duly noted.

Credibility is built on actions, not job titles or resumes.
    I was not aware of your PM until after I posted. Yet another mis-fire by you.

I provided plenty of action in my resume. Now you're in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I was not aware of your PM until after I posted. Yet another mis-fire by you.

I provided plenty of action in my resume. Now you're in denial.
    Alright Iron Resume , I’m just gonna post the PM I sent you right here. You’re right about one thing- an attempt to keep the dialogue clean was a big misfire on my part. Respond however you see fit.

This is a subject best taken to PM.

Let me be direct. Can you tell me why my quotation of Colonel Boyd was incorrect? Weapons are tools, and important ones. But the mental capabilities of the combatants matters too, and unless I’ve grossly misread Patterns of Conflict and his other briefings it’s a point not inconsistent with his writings and intent.

Pointing that out vis a vis Iran , perhaps that’s a stretch. Hell maybe they ain’t got two brain cells to share in the Tehran capital. I’m not going to proclaim myself as always correct on anything. But a capable commander with obsolete equipment is still a threat, because the mindset of the combatants counts. Deciding technology alone will win a fight is a dangerous assumption I’m sure is NOT consistent with his writings.

Would you agree? Let us leave emotion and Internet dick measuring out of the matter
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Looks like we are officially leaving Iraq.
    http://news.trust.org/item/20200106193750-gbx3f
    I’m going to go out on a limb and wager that SOF, ISR and training cadres will remain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Looks like we are officially leaving Iraq.
    http://news.trust.org/item/20200106193750-gbx3f
    WA post is reporting this as legit but Drudge is saying it is a draft that was leaked. Any better read on the legitimacy of this ?
    Last edited by HCM; 01-06-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    WA post is reporting this as legit but Drudge is saying it is a draft that was leaked. Any better read on the legitimacy of this ?
    The SECDEF came out earlier and said it was not legit.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pen...ements-mistake
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You have to write something that makes logical sense other than quotes taken out of context if you want to keep writing this dumb shit and not sound like the complete buffoon you've entrenched yourself as over the last few years. Or you could start by addressing what I've already corrected you on, instead of constantly tap dancing around arguments and presenting different, nonsensical points with every post.

Oh, that's right, you can't, because you're a fucking twit.
    Take that sanctimonious shitpost and go fuck yourself with it.
    Hopefully that’s clear & logical enough.
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List