Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Our big, fun Iraq discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    We are at war with Iran. Overtly killing an enemy general is what one does during a war. What happens next is a pure speculation ...
    Not really. We’ve been at war with Iran covertly for decades, and at the risk of repeating myself we directly engaged their military in the 1980s. Neither the US or Iran gain from peace at this juncture. We don’t need a crystal ball to figure out where this goes next.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    First, American citizens need to stay out of war zones unless they have a very good reason to be there - aka a job to do. The PF rule of "do not go to stupid places..."
    Second, the Iraq government needs BIAP open more than the US does.
    Well, the embassy did say "while possible". Their words, not mine.

Saddam would have agreed with you.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Well, the embassy did say "while possible". Their words, not mine.

Saddam would have agreed with you.
    Please elaborate more on how Saddam would have agreed with me.

Site Supporter

A delivery being made in Iraq

Second wave tonight.

“Airstrike kills 5 members of Iran-backed militia, Iraq official says”

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iraq-a...litia-official

“An airstrike Friday hit two cars carrying members of an Iran-backed militia north of Iraq's capital, Baghdad, killing five members, an Iraqi official told The Associated Press.

The official added that the identities of those killed were not immediately known. It was not immediately clear who launched the strike.

The latest operation came almost exactly 24 hours after a U.S. airstrike killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani, leader of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' (IRGC) elite Quds Force, and nine others.”
    Last edited by RJ; 01-03-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think there is a second message for current and future Iraqi leadership, namely "Choose your factional allies carefully." The location of the attack is a clear message to Iran to step back from Iraqi affairs as well as a statement to Iraqi leadership about the negatives of embracing Iranian leadership.
    We're pretty much on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I think we all agree the world is better off without Qassem Soleimani living and breathing. The question is whether it is in the best interests of the United States for this operation to be done so spectacularly or whether being able to not be positively linked and/or very quietly happened is better for our national security interests. I expect the "how and where" was extensively debated before the operation was approved, and it was decided that the spectacular public nature of the operation was in the best interests of the country. I just hope it was the right decision for the long term.
    We haven't done much against Iran for a long time, and what has been done, has been done quietly. This was not made public just because the President wanted to brag, the DOD statement came out way too quick for that to have been the case. It was definitely meant to be a mic drop moment, and it had to be because both the VP and POTUS gave clear warnings. Iran tried to call the bluff and found out that our current leadership wasn't bluffing. If this event doesn't serve as a significant deterrent, nothing will.

If these dudes are in Iraq, not Iran, then what's the problem?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Any thoughts from you guys as to whether Trump would leave Iraq if their parliament votes to ask the US to withdraw combat forces from their country?

Seems to me it would be a great opportunity to finally gtfo of there.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-03-2020 at 09:24 PM.

User Tag List