Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Our big, fun Iraq discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    When I was in Iraq in 09 it felt like they couldn’t wait for us to leave so they could get on with a civil war. Sunni vs Shia.
    Which would immediately turn into a Saudi Arabia v Iran proxy war. We’d end up back in the region with the Saudis , and the Iranians would have Russia and Shia regional militias .

No matter what, we are geopolitically handcuffed to the region.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Aside from other reasons, the long term one is we’ll be back. If we withdraw Israel will get involved, which means we end up back in the region anyway with a bigger mess to clean up.
    Or not. Israel is not US territory.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Aside from other reasons, the long term one is we’ll be back. If we withdraw Israel will get involved, which means we end up back in the region anyway with a bigger mess to clean up.
    Who said we have to clean up anyone's mess. I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. What happens in Iraq isn't our business any more than what happens in this country is Iraq's business. al-Qaida tried that in 2001 and the retaliation was swift and devastating.

I was in a Muslim country for two years and those people truly didn't like the fact that I was there. The only reason I was able to move about the country without being arrested was the fact that I had a military ID from the base where I was stationed. I even passed into the country at their border without a lot questions. One phone call and I was in.

Once you lose the support of the local gov't (if there is one) you better close up shop and head on home. People just don't like foreigners poking around in their business.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

https://www.foxnews.com/
    Reports of a rocket strike on Baghdad International Airport killing the head of Iran's Quds force and several others. The story states "katyusha rockets", no claim of responsibility yet. Whether it was us or not, the locals are going to get really spooled up over it.

Edit: Reuters says US airstrike. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1Z11K8 and quotes "U.S. officials told Reuters that strikes had been carried out against two targets linked to Iran in Baghdad."
    Last edited by Dog Guy; 01-02-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/
    Reports of a rocket strike on Baghdad International Airport killing the head of Iran's Quds force and several others. The story states "katyusha rockets", no claim of responsibility yet. Whether it was us or not, the locals are going to get really spooled up over it.

Edit: Reuters says US airstrike. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1Z11K8 and quotes "U.S. officials told Reuters that strikes had been carried out against two targets linked to Iran in Baghdad."
    Two words:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Sulemani has now become a good jihadi. I think I’ll have a coke.

High fives all around to our awesome people who pulled off such a useful act!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Name:  2B34BB23-3E5B-4DFC-8B0D-F60F30EA6271.jpeg
Views: 615
Size:  54.6 KB
    #RESIST

Wait, what?

Boom.

“Trump orders attack that kills Iranian Gen. Qassim Soleimani, other military officials in Baghdad, Pentagon says”

https://www.foxnews.com/world/rocket...uries-reported

That should just about do for any further cooperation with the gov't of Iraq.

I knew those bastards were setting us up. The proof right there at the Baghdad airport.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List