Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Our big, fun Iraq discussion thread

Well, now we get to see whether the HellFire Missile or the plane load of ca$h is more effective in behavior modification.
    Should settle the "carrot or stick" question on dealing with the Mullah's.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Thank you, everyone. It means a lot to me. But I'm in a safe area sitting ON the flagpole, not just next to it, so I'm just about as safe as one can get in this region.
    It is frustrating, because I'm ready to bring the fight to these assholes and I trained for that. But that's just not the job I've got over here, much to the relief of my wife and family.

Pray for the guys that are doing the fighting, and pray for a swift and effective end to this bullshit once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Prior notice, yeah. There are plans "in the can" for almost all eventualities. There's always a QRF at Bragg on a really short leash. Kudos for them for executing well!
    A fair and accurate correction - thank you.
    Last edited by JRB; 01-03-2020 at 02:02 AM.

The oh-so-public nature of the drone attack is what I find interesting. The combination of the Baghdad International Airport as the setting and the usage of multiple rockets sends a different kind of message than having the attack be done someplace less conspicuous and in a quieter fashion. Every Iraqi leader uses that airport, and now ever Iraqi leader who travels via that airport has to wonder if a trip will be their last.

Site Supporter
    @farscott - I'm sure the circumstances were deliberate. The Iraqi militia leader meets the Quds Force commander to whom he is beholden and both get killed in a very public way, with the US claiming responsibility almost immediately. The QF has been training and funding Iraqi Shia militia units for over a decade with almost no blowback from the US, even when they openly targeted US and coalition forces. Now those militias see there's a price for working for Iran.

This wasn't an attack against Iraqi leaders. It was an attack against Iranian-controlled militia leaders. I'm pretty sure there's no confusion over there about why this happened.

Interesting story about further actions going on related to this.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/202...itias-in-iraq/

"If this is true, it is far beyond the killing of bin Laden or al-Baghdadi. This is nothing less than a complete, textbook decapitation of the Iranian proxy forces in Iraq. Not only is the overall commander, Soleimani, dead but several senior staff and two of the field commanders responsible for the militia attack on the US embassy are in custody."

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    Like how it always was in the first place?
    Different peoples, who can't live with each other, can live in different places.
    We should think about trying that in the States pretty soon.

There was a plan for that: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=4967572
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If you think a full on war with Iran is what we need right now, then great. Celebrate. This could easily mean attacks against Americans here at home and around the world and spark a major conflict.

Don’t get me wrong, I would gladly have dropped the hammer on Soleimani personally any day of the week given the chance. I’d buy my own ticket. I watched friends killed and maimed by EFP’s in a campaign that he was ultimately responsible for. He’s directly responsible for decades of horror in half a dozen countries. Fuck him and all his progeny until the end of time.

But, Soleimani is a household name in Iran. The hero of the Iran/Iraq war and viewed as the equivalent of George Washington and Audie Murphy had a baby. They WILL do something crazy now. The regime can’t let this go. It will be serious enough that we have to retaliate. And so forth. I can’t see how this act leads to anything good for America long term. I’m glad he’s dead, but personally I’m not willing to sacrifice anymore American blood and treasure into this black hole. Nuke the place from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

P.S. Seriously, if you didn’t know who Soleimani was before yesterday you should probably just STFU. You don’t know what your talking about.
    Last edited by EPF; 01-03-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Thank you sir.

Well thats going to make for an interesting morning!

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    If you think a full on war with Iran is what we need right now, then great. Celebrate. This could easily mean attacks against Americans here at home and around the world and spark a major conflict.

But, Soleimani is a household name in Iran. The hero of the Iran/Iraq war and viewed as the equivalent of George Washington and Audie Murphy had a baby. They WILL do something crazy now. The regime can’t let this go. It will be serious enough that we have to retaliate. And so forth. I can’t see how this act leads to anything good for America long term.
    ...because appeasement and soft sanctions were working so well before. The IRGC has been continually emboldened ever since we got weak on foreign policy. Letting people steamroll you and attack your diplomats overseas is not a better solution. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself, and if Iran were to retaliate in such a manner that it gave a US-led middle eastern coalition justification to invade Iran it would be the worst decision that regime could ever make.

On another note, the idea that the average Iranian holds love in their heart for Soleimani is a strange concept to me, given the average Iranian's dissatisfaction with their government and the IRGC in particular.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-03-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: I be transposin' like a madman
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

How will Soleimani be characterized in the WaPo or NYT in the coming days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List