Thread: Last revolver of 2019: The Stainless Centennial, S&W M640.

Last revolver of 2019: The Stainless Centennial, S&W M640.

Last revolver acquisition of 2019, and one I'd been after for awhile to do a head-to-head comparison with my 640-1. S&W 640, 38spl, the true stainless steel Centennial. Super clean example that came with its box and with the Uncle Mike's boot grips that, aside from CT laser grips, are my favorite J-frame concealment grips. Haven't had it out to the range yet but I figured some comparison pictures and data might be of interest.

As can be seen, the 640-1 is about 1.3oz heavier than the 640. In the hand, the 640-1 balances noticeably muzzle-forward compared to the 640. Not unpleasantly so, but it is easy to see where the extra 1.3oz is concentrated on the 640-1. It will be interesting to see how that difference manifests itself, if at all, during live-fire.

Not a bad way to end the 2019-revolver year

Weight as compared to the .357 Magnum M640-1.

Nice! How did I not know there was .38spc version of the 640?

Quote Originally Posted by 396 View Post
    Nice! How did I not know there was .38spc version of the 640?
    Yes, the original reissue (does that make sense?) was .38 special+p+. The first run used the serial number prefix “CEN”, later versions went back to random. The -1 was the switch to .357 magnum.

Had the 38 re-issue CEN it was a great gun but it went down the road to help pay for a better home down payment. That was in the early 90s and would grad one today if I could find one. IMHO one of Smiths' finest.

The 1989-90 640 .38 Centennials were my intro to modern J-frames. I would happily carry one in any of the barrel lengths they offered.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I have mine. It rode many, many miles in a hideaway briefcase when I worked in Chicago’s Loop and commuted by rail.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I shot an ECQC with an original .38 640 just like that one. I like them more than the 640-1.357s. Incidentally, the new cylinder release latch can be purchased at the usual online parts places, and takes 30 seconds to swap. Keep the old one, and shoot +P with the newer latch. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List