Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Observtions from EDCing

Silicone spray does not seem to attract dirt like most “gun lubes” do. Sure, I’ll find some lint on a pocket carried gun now and then, but it is never really a problem. Since I stopped relying on cotton shirts to cover my gun and switched to a nylon vest or silk Hawaiian shirts - no issues. IWB guns.

ETA: Silly putty/“flubber” similar slightly stick gel/pastes are nice for removing lint and dirt. Better than compressed air and a brush, actually.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-01-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Along with the PPS in a JMCK just behind the right hip, I keep a folder clipped to the inside on of my right front pocket and a small light riding in the bottom of my left front pocket. I also keep my house keys and a CR123 Battery Locker containing a spare 16340 cell in a Zipper Key Pouch in my right front pocket;

In addition to my basic EDC items above, when home I usually have a horizontal light carrier on the belt at the 11 o'clock position carrying a two or three cell Malkoff for the night time dog walks. A larger light carried this way is amazingly comfortable and fast-to-access. I can also add a spare magazine in a JMCK #3 Mag Pouch behind the left hip if the circumstances call for it.

Site Supporter
    Biggest "oh fck" with gear for me has been stuff clipped on pocket edges.

I work in the environmental sector, and find myself on the ends of ropes and in harnesses more often than most people at the company, and probably by default more than the forum, so it's a bit of a specialized problem. I've lost knives and lights due to the leg straps/moving pushing stuff up/out of my pockets to be lost in purgatory. One time a co-worker found my knife by accident a couple days later on a stream-bank project, that's been the only returned item.

I started wearing cargo pants from Duluth - giant, like 12-13" deep front pockets. They don't do anything for the above situation due to the pockets, but the cargo pant side of things moves the gear off my ass and thighs to the sides of my legs where there's no pressure when sitting, etc..

Instant comfort and a refusal to go back to standard 5 pocket pants for most things, and a place to relocate my pocket knife/streamlight when I don a harness. You just won't catch me wearing BDU's or similar styled pants

Since dust begets dust, I hit my carry guns with this shave brush when I disarm at the end of the day … takes just a few seconds. I keep my carry guns fairly dry on the outside so that minimizes accumulation.

I stepped out to the car one night and slid an LCP (sans holster) into the pocket of a pair of cotton gym shorts. When I got back inside, this is what I saw when I removed the gun from my pocket. I suspect that condition (repeated often enough) has some potential to become an obstruction.

When I was a cop, a local business man would periodically have me clean & lube his little pocket pistol …a Browning Baby .25 Auto. This guy was a little rough around the edges and on at least one occasion, he pulled that little popper and shot at someone, only to have the gun malfunction after the first shot due the accumulation of an unbelievable amount of pocket lint.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Check your carry holster/mag carrier screws occasionally. Had a mag carrier screw fall out in a store once - no harm done, fell down the inside of my pant leg and I found it right then. But gave me insight to start checking.

My pocket gun and holster get pretty dusty - working in construction. I was in a routine of wiping off/down about every other week or so. The inside never really had any visible issues. Now I tend to shoot the gun every other week or so and it does a really nice job of blowing off all dust/lint. Do have to wipe my holster out still.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Since dust begets dust, I hit my carry guns with this shave brush when I disarm at the end of the day … takes just a few seconds. I keep my carry guns fairly dry on the outside so that minimizes accumulation.

I use an old German boar bristle shave brush for similar...but mine primarily whisks sharpening swarf off my bench stones and other hones. GMTA.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Living in Florida my blued 1911 gets wiped down every night when I take it out of the holster(Actually so does my 642) for rust prevention. Lint doesn't become an issue that way, but rust would. I also wipe down my knives from time to time. Nothing special just a cloth with some Slip 2000 EWL on it.

I do use gun grease under the grips however as well as VZ Grips. The VZ Grips don't soak up the oil or grease or moisture like wood does eventually. The grease lasts longer than oil and stays put as well.

I use grease on the inside of my guns as well as it stays in place longer. Not an issue here, but if you live in a cold enviroment you may want to stick with a lighter viscosity lube. I use Slip 2000 EWL as a regular lube.

Just my 2 cents.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Pistol wiped down each evening upon unholstering, followed by application of (canned) compressed air for nooks and crannies.

(It probably doesn't even bear mentioning, but the chambered round is never ejected followed by reloading, except at intervals for sake of cleaning & maintenance; no good reason to do this sort of thing. The carried pistol is shot only occasionally for verification of function, reliability and consistency of POI, while an identical example is employed for regular range practice and dryfire.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    I currently lube my P30 and Glock 45 with Slip 2000 on the rails, but prefer Lucas Grease on the heavy wear areas (Barrel, inside of slide, connector). The design of the JM Custom 2.5 does a great job of keeping the lint out, but I dust out the holster every couple of weeks.

My Daltech SuperBio EDC belt is more comfortable than my “Scuba Webbed” holsters, and gives up little to them in terms of concealment. I prefer the comfort of the biothane.

Site Supporter
    My G26.3 was not fired from May through Dec 2019, just carried or in the safe with the admin carry load left in it. I noticed fuzz was building up, but I’ve been carrying a Jframe a lot this year, so it didn’t overly concern me anyway.

On 28 Dec, the muzzle was not quite blocked with white fuzz, and visible fuzz was elsewhere. I fired the admin load at 5 yards. Nothing notable happened except that the 11 rounds of 147gr HST made a nice group.

Just an anecdote.

User Tag List