Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observtions from EDCing

Observtions from EDCing

A call for general observations about carrying gear (pistols, knives, flashlights, etc.) on an everyday basis. Not critical info, just casual observations that might be useful to others.

Here's one I recently made: the prevention of fuzz build-up in my pistol.

Background - I work primarily from a home office (only have to go to corporate in MA a few times a week) and when not in MA, I carry a pistol every day. My wife likes it cooler inside the house than I do, so I'm left with having to wear a hoody to stay warm. My typical attire is a pair of jeans, a heavy T-shirt tucked in, a PPS in a JMCK #3 worn behind the right hip and the hoody over the top.

My battle with lint in the PPS has been relentless: at least once a week I take a few minutes to "de-fuzz" it. Not a big deal, but it only takes a day for the lint to start building up again. It finally dawned on me that the source of the never-ending lint are my hoodies.

Since I have a significant collection of golf shirt (lint-free) logo wear, I now wear one under the hoodie (not tucked in) to cover the pistol. It has significantly reduced the accumulation of fuzz on/in the pistol, which I reckon is a good thing. The extra layer helps keep me warm too.

Got EDC tips and/or observations? I'd love to hear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    A call for general observations about carrying gear (pistols, knives, flashlights, etc.) on an everyday basis. Not critical info, just casual observations that might be useful to others.

Background - I work primarily from a home office (only have to go to corporate in MA a few times a week) and when not in MA, I carry a pistol every day. My wife likes it cooler inside the house than I do, so I'm left with having to wear a hoody to stay warm. My typical attire is a pair of jeans, a heavy T-shirt tucked in, a PPS in a JMCK #3 worn behind the right hip and the hoody over the top.

My battle with lint in the PPS has been relentless: at least once a week I take a few minutes to "de-fuzz" it. Not a big deal, but it only takes a day for the lint to start building up again. It finally dawned on me that the source of the never-ending lint are my hoodies.

Since I have a significant collection of golf shirt (lint-free) logo wear, I now wear one under the hoodie (not tucked in) to cover the pistol. It has significantly reduced the accumulation of fuzz on/in the pistol, which I reckon is a good thing. The extra layer helps keep me warm too.

Got EDC tips and/or observations? I'd love to hear 'em!
    NH Shooter,

I've had issues with lint build up as well on my off duty IWB carry where I had to clean the dust bunnies off my pistol. Within the last year, I changed cleaning solvents and lubrication to Breakthrough Clean's products. I used their Military Trade Solvent and Battleborn Grease. I've found that after using the solvent, using compressed air to get all residual solvent off, lubricating internals, then a last wipe down with rubbing alcohol to remove excess tidbits of grease from the slide frame area, the amount of lint build up has decreased significantly. I do have to defuzz the pistol nearly as often. If course, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Tackleberry40sw; 01-01-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks for the info the Breakthrough Clean products! I've been using Slip 2000 on everything and though it's not as bad as conventional oils in terms of trapping dust bunnies, any ideas on reducing fuzz buildup is appreciated.

I’ve recently noticed that I have ATP (Anterior Pelvic Tilt) which makes for the top end of my Glocks to print harder AIWB. I’m trying to take steps to fix it because of this reason but also ATP can lead to lower back pain. I can’t confirm but I also suspect having rounded or slumped shoulders can contribute to a less efficient drawstroke along with the obvious health risks.

Name:  61500726-6974-4DC2-A7ED-DEE7F75C592F.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  30.5 KB

My casual observations: given that I'm self employed and dress however I want ...

A Fenix PD35 or similar is as easy to carry as a tiny light for me, and gives me "twinkle" to "very bright" at the push(es) of a button.
    A 4" S&W N-frame can be concealed IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, cross draw and AIWB easily in all weather if you desire to do it. Samo for 4" L-frame.
    A fixed blade knife is easily concealed on the weak side, on the belt, if tucked into the back pocket.
    Speedloaders/carriers are easy to conceal when placed just in front of or just behind the holster.
    Safariland CD-2's are waaaaaaaay more secure than you would ever think. And cheap plus small. Can be clipped in many useful spots.
    A 3 1/2" 1911 in a Safariland 5198 holster (OWB) conceals under ANY untucked shirt.
    A side folder on a Mossberg 590 is stupidly handy.
    A kukri can be hard to conceal, you might need a day pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I’ve recently noticed that I have ATP (Anterior Pelvic Tilt) which makes for the top end of my Glocks to print harder AIWB. I’m trying to take steps to fix it because of this reason but also ATP can lead to lower back pain. I can’t confirm but I also suspect having rounded or slumped shoulders can contribute to a less efficient drawstroke along with the obvious health risks.

Name:  61500726-6974-4DC2-A7ED-DEE7F75C592F.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  30.5 KB
    kettlebell swings, they'll strengthen up all your trouble spots and straighten you up in no time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've had more issues with lint and pocket carry and AIWB. Hit it with compressed air from a can now and then.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Zero lint issues in my pocket or AIWB, probably because I'm really lazy when it comes to clean & lube
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

. . . any ideas on reducing fuzz buildup is appreciated.
    I'm thinking a polyester leisure suit - - - you might have one or two hanging in the back of your closet - - - might get rid of the fuzz problem.

Site Supporter
    A Unity Tactical Clutch is a great way to keep a lot of EDC gear organized, and to carry said gear with a variety of types of clothing. It works over a belt, or over the waistband of sweatpants, etc.

This way, your handgun/reload/flashlight/knife/creds/handcuffs/etc. can all be in the same place you train with, regardless of clothing.

User Tag List