Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Observtions from EDCing

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    My G26.3 was not fired from May through Dec 2019, just carried or in the safe with the admin carry load left in it. I noticed fuzz was building up, but I’ve been carrying a Jframe a lot this year, so it didn’t overly concern me anyway.

On 28 Dec, the muzzle was not quite blocked with white fuzz, and visible fuzz was elsewhere. I fired the admin load at 5 yards. Nothing notable happened except that the 11 rounds of 147gr HST made a nice group.

Just an anecdote.
    Fuzz carrying a fuzz infested firearm but functioning finely finds me feeling all warm and fuzzy.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Fuzz carrying a fuzz infested firearm but functioning finely finds me feeling all warm and fuzzy.
    LOL!! I love the dad jokes.

Too bad I’m not a cop!

LOL!! I love the dad jokes.

Too bad I’m not a cop!
    Forgot...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

My G26.3 was not fired from May through Dec 2019, just carried or in the safe with the admin carry load left in it. I noticed fuzz was building up, but I’ve been carrying a Jframe a lot this year, so it didn’t overly concern me anyway.

On 28 Dec, the muzzle was not quite blocked with white fuzz, and visible fuzz was elsewhere. I fired the admin load at 5 yards. Nothing notable happened except that the 11 rounds of 147gr HST made a nice group.
    I wouldn't expect the fuzz to hinder operation, but this is good to know.

Flashlight Carry

I have settled on two modes of light carry;

1. Bottom of a front pocket for carrying a small light. At largest a "small light" to me is the size of a Malkoff MDC 1CR123, such as the Bodyguard v.1. However more often than not, the light is even smaller and used for task purposes, such as my Foursevens Quark. Recently I inherited an old NovaTac EDC 120T which required a little work to make it reliable again but has a UI that I really like. At about 3-1/4 inches AOL, the NovaTac is nearly a half-inch shorter than the Malkoff Bodyguard v.1. It's "retina searing" 120-lumen beam plenty for normal task-light purposes, the light is built like a tank and it's multi-mode UI is the best I've used.

2. Belt holster for carrying a larger, more capable light. I've tried many light carriers but the current best is the Kytex Gear horizontal holster. Worn at the 11 o'clock position on my Wilderness Instructors belt, I literally do not even know it's there. Whether I'm walking about or sitting in a car seat or recliner, the light disappears from a comfort standpoint, yet remains quickly accessible. The light remains concealed under normal EDC attire, with essentially zero risk of causing issues if it becomes uncovered and observed by others. For me this mode of carry is more comfortable than clipping a light of any size inside a front pocket.

So my current EDC light arrangement is the NovaTac riding in the bottom of my left-front pants pocket. If I want to carry a single light of higher capability, the Malkoff Bodyguard takes it's place. Around the house or if out-and-about, I can add a Malkoff MD2 or MD3 light, or my 6P Lego on the belt.

Photos

Malkoff Bodyguard v.2 head on a 1CR123 shroudless body, 6P Lego and Malkoff MD3-M91T. The 6P and Malkoff carry nicely in the Kytex belt carrier.

Malkoff MD3-M91B "walk the dog" light in the Kytex belt carrier

After 19 years I rid myself of IWB. That's a lot misery to basically hide a gun from yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    After 19 years I rid myself of IWB. That's a lot misery to basically hide a gun from yourself.
    No doubt comfort is a big factor - if it is a pain to carry, it wont be carried for long.

At least for me and what I carry (a PPS in a JMCK #3 IWB), I find this combo very comfortable to carry and very easy to conceal. After trying different handguns in a variety of OWB, AIWB and IWB, this combo has by far offered the best combination of comfort, concealment and the ability to get rounds on target quickly and accurately.

A couple of factors that I believe make IWB more comfortable are (1) a couple of layers between the holster and skin (tucked-in t-shirt and briefs) and (2) a sturdy belt that does not droop or loosen. In my case, I find the Wilderness Instructor belt with liner works well.

Carrying the Surefire Z2 Combat Light

In a previous post I shared an old Z2 Combat Light that was gifted to me. After updating it with a LED drop-in and spending some time handling it with and without a handgun, I became convinced that it would work really well for me.

The SF combat lights are very limited in terms of carriers, those designed for use with a 6P won't work. After some searching I found a carrier designed for use with the SF combat lights, including the old Z2, made by Daranich Tactical. I ordered the carrier and have now had an opportunity to try it out.

As you can see, the carrier is designed to hold the light by the bezel. It is well-formed to the shape of the Z2 bezel and has tension adjustments. With a bit of experimenting I got the tension adjusted to my liking and started wearing the light and carrier just behind my left hip on a Wilderness Instructor belt.

From an access standpoint, it is superb. I can grip the light between my index and middle fingers, extract it and present the light quickly on-target with a Rogers-Surefire hold. I find holding the Z2 this way to be intuitive and with the Z41 twisty tailcap adjusted to my liking, easy to control the light. After some practice I found this to be the fastest and most consistent presentation of a handheld light from concealment, with or without a pistol. It obviously works well if the pistol then needs to be drawn, the two hands coming together quickly into a Rogers-Surefire grip. Alternatively, the finger lanyard allows retention if the grip needs to change from a cigar hold to an icepick hold.

From a comfort standpoint, it's not quite as good as the horizontal carrier I use for straight-body lights, but it certainly is not bad at all. I find it no more noticeable than the PPS/JMCK #3 IWB I carry on the other side.

From a concealment standpoint, it's not as good as the horizontal carrier. But then again it's just a flashlight and even if people in a NPE notice it, they are more likely to comment on the nerdiness of carrying a flashlight than being snowflake-offended as if it was a gun.

I need to spend some live fire time with it, but so far I'm very much liking the light for SD purposes and this method of carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

See...I'm the exact opposite. I find that I'm more comfortable with IWB carry. After 14 years, with the help of the Phlster Flex, I've finally gotten everything stuck IWB and it's my favorite set-up so far.

With OWB carry, even with a really good belt, holster, and carriers, I just didn't like the way everything "hung". With everything IWB, for me, it's both more comforting and comfortable.

I guess that's my take away from EDCing for over a decade...everyone is different and what works for some folks might be a total disaster for others. You might have to try a LOT of different set-ups before you find what works for you.

More info on this one here;

User Tag List