Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Ruger-57. No Longer Just Internet Rumor

Site Supporter
    Wouldn't that round in a revolver have the same problems as the Jet did? IIRC, the 17 mags screwed up in revolvers, also.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Plus, in realm of centerfire .22 mags, I suspect Stephanie, as a lady of good taste, would prefer a S&W 53.
    I've shot one. It's not a gun that I have any desire to own.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've shot one. It's not a gun that I have any desire to own.
    I must be drinking too much, 'cause Steph just said a classic Smith was shitty. I gotta tone down the "no students tomorrow due to weather" celebrating.

Seriously, that must have been a lame experience.

On the original topic, I doubt I will ever own a Ruger 57, but I am glad they exist. Someone here said "tractor gun," and I can see that, and a $1000+ pistol will never fill that niche. Plus, it opens up experimentation to a far bigger crowd and that's always a good thing.

Ruger continues to impress me as a consumer-driven business.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I must be drinking too much, 'cause Steph just said a classic Smith was shitty. I gotta tone down the "no students tomorrow due to weather" celebrating.

Seriously, that must have been a lame experience.
    The gun was nice, a quality old K frame. But the combination of a the gun and the cartridge sucked. The guy who owns the gun is a serious collector of Smiths. He believes that the epitome of S&Wrevolvers was in the post-war, pre-numbering era. But that doesn't stop him from owning nice guns, like a Model 57.

When I shot his gun, he had a can of lighter fluid that he used to ensure that the chambers and the cartridges didn't have any trace of oil on them. That didn't prevent the gun from locking up twice out of six shots fired.

Now the 57, that was a nice gun. I can see why people love them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The gun was nice, a quality old K frame. But the combination of a the gun and the cartridge sucked. The guy who owns the gun is a serious collector of Smiths. He believes that the epitome of S&Wrevolvers was in the post-war, pre-numbering era. But that doesn't stop him from owning nice guns, like a Model 57.

When I shot his gun, he had a can of lighter fluid that he used to ensure that the chambers and the cartridges didn't have any trace of oil on them. That didn't prevent the gun from locking up twice out of six shots fired.

Now the 57, that was a nice gun. I can see why people love them.
    I think I would find a well-built gun that has the issues the .22 Jet brings more frustrating than a POS with those issues.

Neat idea. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it work in a revolver.

I find that whole hypervelocity .22 idea in a pistol very interesting, but I am waiting for other enthusiasts to work out the issues. My friend's PMR-30 was much fun for the first 5 mags that feed flawlessly, then it went downhill fast.

Cheap plastic-cased 5.7×28 would be a game-changer for me.

Of course, my least shot handgun is a .22WMR Single-Six. (Inherited) It's a tackdriver, but so is my Model 17, and it's far cheaper to shoot. If I lived out west, I would probably use it more.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

MAC first shots review with Ruger 57.

So where are we now with these guns? They generated quite a bit of Internet buzz five or six months ago but I've seen pretty much zero as of late.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Well, finding 5.7x28 ammo is certainly a challenge, so that is one indicator that someone is using weapons chambered for it. When shipments are received by ammo dealers, the ammo sells out quickly.

My 5.7mm weapon is a PS90. I have yet to have eyes on a Ruger 57.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Ruger has announced a Pro model that deletes the thumb safety. Just is case the TS was the only thing deterring some of you...

User Tag List