Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger-57. No Longer Just Internet Rumor

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I’d be interested in a charger type pistol using these mags with the ability to accept a brace.
    +1

Hope someone at Ruger is reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by surevaliance View Post
    Please wake me up when it is 7.62x25 Tokarev.
    Yahtzee!

Late to this thread,but:

As a Boomer who has 40 acres sans mule I believe we need more longuns and handguns available in both 5.7 FN and 7.62 Tok. Both would be perfect on pests up to coyotes to 150 yards (in carbines) and legal for deer in my state with expanding projectiles.

GLOCK is missing sales not producing little and large models in the Commie round. A G34- sized 7.62 or 5.7 with a good RDS would be ideal for tractor born ops.

Carbines and combo guns as well would sell to we witless, rustic deplorables. Gonna call Savage and urge them to bring out a Model 42 in 5.7 and 7.62.

Be maux bettah with a 20 ga. Tube, too!

PS: A Crimson Trace light/Green Laser combo on the Ruger 57 would be better than RDS for home defense...Or the Wal-Mart parking lot!
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 01-12-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Yahtzee!

Late to this thread,but:

As a Boomer who has 40 acres sans mule I believe we need more longuns and handguns available in both 5.7 FN and 7.62 Tok. Both would be perfect on pests up to coyotes to 150 yards (in carbines) and legal for deer in my state with expanding projectiles.

GLOCK is missing sales not producing little and large models in the Commie round. A G34- sized 7.62 or 5.7 with a good RDS would be ideal for tractor born ops.

Carbines and combo guns as well would sell to we witless, rustic deplorables. Gonna call Savage and urge them to bring out a Model 42 in 5.7 and 7.62.

Be maux bettah with a 20 ga. Tube, too!

PS: A Crimson Trace light/Green Laser combo on the Ruger 57 would be better than RDS for home defense...Or the Wal-Mart parking lot!
    Problem with 7.62x25 (and pistols that are chambered for it) is lack of supply.

Reason people liked these guns was cheap to purchase and cheap to shoot. But gone are the days of stupidly cheap CZ52s and Chinese TT33s. Ammo that used to be almost free when bought by the spam can is long gone.

I also wonder if the Ruger would hold up in anything other than 5.7. Being a blowback gun could it be made to work in 7.62? Surely it would need more than a heavier slide and stiffer recoil spring. And if it could be made to work would the increased slide mass turn the gun off to potential consumers?

Blowback 7.62 might have been fine in PPS43s and PPSh41s but nobody made an unlocked breach handgun that I'm aware of. Maybe there's a reason for that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Problem with 7.62x25 (and pistols that are chambered for it) is lack of supply.

Reason people liked these guns was cheap to purchase and cheap to shoot. But gone are the days of stupidly cheap CZ52s and Chinese TT33s. Ammo that used to be almost free when bought by the spam can is long gone.

I also wonder if the Ruger would hold up in anything other than 5.7. Being a blowback gun could it be made to work in 7.62? Surely it would need more than a heavier slide and stiffer recoil spring. And if it could be made to work would the increased slide mass turn the gun off to potential consumers?

Blowback 7.62 might have been fine in PPS43s and PPSh41s but nobody made an unlocked breach handgun that I'm aware of. Maybe there's a reason for that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Ideal fantasy pistol for me - "The Zapper."

-Uses Witness .38 Supper magazines
    -Can be converted into 9mm/ 9x23 winchester / .22 TCM / .30 Luger +p+ with just a barrel change
    -Optics ready for red dot
    -Polymer frame, 5" barrel

--> Allows the user to experiment with fun, high velocity calibers, while also being able to fall back on cheap and plentiful 9x19. Since the gun is rated for 9x23 winchester, can also fire 9mm Major.

In terms of 7.62x25, a user on Glock Forums has figured out that +p+ .30 Luger is able to hit x25 velocities, while being drop in on 9x19 pistols:

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/17...luger.1696832/

Last edited by spyderco monkey; 01-12-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Delayed Blowback versus Blowback:

In a Blowback pistol action, the barrel is generally fixed to the frame. When fired, the bullet travels down the barrel and the slide, or bolt begins to open as soon as energy imparted to it has risen high enough to overcome resting inertia. There is no interaction between slide and barrel. Frictional interface between bore and bullet have no connection to slide timing. Because there is no mechanism locking slide and barrel together, slide or bolt mass must be considerably more to have adequate resting inertia to resist opening until bore pressure has begun to drop.

In a Delayed Blowback pistol action, the barrel is generally attached to the frame via some form of link, cam, bevel, or stud that allows a degree of barrel movement to the rear. The barrel is also designed with some form of lock that interfaces with the slide of the pistol, such as the locking bands on a 1911 barrel that fit into mating recesses inside the slide, or the large, single locking "lug" on the top of a Glock barrel that fits into a mated opening in the slide's ejection port. When fired, the bullet travels down the barrel, "pushing" the barrel forward with it due to bore friction. As long as acceleration is sustained by the bullet in the bore, the action will remained locked. Even though chamber pressure is pushing the breech face to the rear, the breech, being locked to the slide, cannot move back far enough to unlock the action until the acceleration force on the bullet has dropped, or the bullet has left the barrel. Upon barrel exit, with the bullet no longer pushing the barrel forward, energy imparted into the combined slide/barrel mass pushes it to the rear. At some distance, the barrel unlocks from the slide by means of a cam, link, etc., and the slide separates from the barrel, and begins to move independently as the barrel stops. When the slide returns, the breech face pushes the barrel forward, actuating the mechanical locking system between the two.

Rifles and carbines can work with a simple blow back system because the added mass of a "free cycling bolt" adds proportionately little to the overall weight of the gun system. With handguns, blow back systems are generally limited to small handguns with short barrels where added slide mass is reasonable. By the time caliber gets to 9mm, a blow back system starts to become unwieldy and unbalanced with an overly heavy slide. The Hi-Point line of pistols are an excellent example of large-bore, blow back action pistols that have large, blocky slides to provide enough mass to hold the breech closed during the highest pressure phase of the cartridge.

Delayed blow back systems can be made lighter and safer because the action is locked closed during the high pressure phase of the cartridge and are preferred for lightweight handguns. If the FiveseveN handgun or Ruger 57 used a blow back system, the weight of the bolt or slide alone would equal the overall weight of the pistol. In order for these guns to be light, they must use some form of breech locking system - and they do. The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia (which is sufficient for this topic):

In 1993, Jean-Louis Gathoye of FN filed a United States patent application for a delayed blowback operating system intended for the Five-seven pistol, and U.S. Patent 5,347,912 ("Elements for decelerating the recoil of the moving parts of a fire arm") was received the following year.[/SIZE]

The locking system used in the Ruger 57 is identical in design to the one used in the FiveseveN. In the photos posted by Tokarev the locking lever can be seen retracted in the frame. Tokarev incorrectly states "there is no cam or locking block on the barrel" when in fact you can see it in the photos. The bottom lug of the barrel is the "barrel lug" and the lever seen in the slide with the "wings" on either side are the "locking lugs" that index into small recesses in the underside of the slide's side walls. In order to UNLOCK, the barrel MUST move rearward in order to allow the lock lever to swing down by action of rotating around a base pin mounted in the frame. When fully "locked" the bottom lug on the barrel holds the lock lever UP with it's twin locking lugs indexed into the slide recesses - steel-2-steel lockup. The action cycles very fast, and due to the small bore and bottleneck cartridge, chamber pressure is still high enough to cause the case shoulder to "unroll" forward as the case head is both pushing and being pulled from the chamber by the extractor. The locking system is inline with no tilting or rotating of the barrel and instead of the locking system being between barrel and slide, it is between barrel and lock lever, and between lock lever and slide.

How doesn't one "know" if a pistol's action is blow back or delayed blow back? Place a dowel in the chamber that extends out the muzzle, then, grasping the dowel at the front, and the slide, pull in opposite directions. With a blow back action the slide will retract in opposition to the barrel being pulled or held fixed.
    Now, do the same with a delayed blowback action. gripping only the dowel sticking out of the barrel, and the slide at the other end, pull in opposite directions. Do NOT hold the frame, receiver, or grip while doing this! The slide and barrel will NOT separate and will in fact remain firmly locked together no matter how hard you pull in opposite directions! This is because the slide cannot separate from the barrel unless the barrel is allowed to move back as well. This is where the DELAY comes in.

It's important for users to understand that the action of a Ruger 57 is indeed LOCKED during firing so that some intrepid tinkerer doesn't start wondering what those weird looking parts are, and decides to remove them because somebody on the internet tells him they aren't needed and he ends up doing an impression of a Unicorn!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    So we finally have a sub $700 home defense handgun with velocities beyond 2000 FPS that can provide useful cavitation terminal effects. What's not to like?
    Nothing is not to like for sure!

I own three FiveseveNs and hope to find a way to add a Ruger 57 or three to my collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I think I saw that but Im pretty sure the guy was wearing Level III body armor.
    If the P90 with SS190 ammo didn't penetrate a TL3A vest, no 9mm, 38, 45, 357, or 10mm would have either! This is pure internet mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I can’t find it, but out there on the internets is a video of a cop with a p90 putting a couple of bursts into a guy’s torso and after the end of the second burst the shootee basically says something along the lines of “ok ok please stop shooting me” without much of a physical reaction at all.
    Too bad "that guy" wasn't at Ft. Hood when Hassan murdered 13 and wounded 32 using an "ineffective" FiveseveN! Where are these super humans when you need them?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
    The locking system used in the Ruger 57 is identical in design to the one used in the FiveseveN. In the photos posted by Tokarev the locking lever can be seen retracted in the frame. Tokarev incorrectly states "there is no cam or locking block on the barrel" when in fact you can see it in the photos. The bottom lug of the barrel is the "barrel lug" and the lever seen in the slide with the "wings" on either side are the "locking lugs" that index into small recesses in the underside of the slide's side walls. In order to UNLOCK, the barrel MUST move rearward in order to allow the lock lever to swing down by action of rotating around a base pin mounted in the frame.
    I stand by my description of the Ruger and how it operates. There is no cam nor locking lug on the barrel nor does it lock into the slide as is commonly referred to as the Browning system.

Maybe Diamonback will produce a version that takes Ruger clips

User Tag List