Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger-57. No Longer Just Internet Rumor

Honestly probably 90% of the people who buy this gun won't care one way or another what sights are on it. But the other 10% will now have to wait for an aftermarket option--if one comes--or have something made or modified.

Would it really have been additional cost/effort to machine the slide for existing sights?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...-more-popular/

Taken from that article...

$600 Ruger 57

https://dkfirearms.com/product/ruger...i-auto-pistol/

Ruger would probably do well if they also introduced a version of the PC9 for this cartridge that took the same mags as the pistol....I think it would have wide appeal to the people who are going to buy the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Ruger would probably do well if they also introduced a version of the PC9 for this cartridge that took the same mags as the pistol....I think it would have wide appeal to the people who are going to buy the pistol.
    I can't imagine Ruger NOT doing a 5.7 carbine of some type. Unless the pistol just totally tanks.

I can't imagine Ruger NOT doing a 5.7 carbine of some type. Unless the pistol just totally tanks.
    Or maybe even then. Remember that Ruger resurrected SR-series just because PC Carbine needed a magazine in .40, and that was their only gun (there's no Security-40 nor RAP in .40).
    Last edited by zaitcev; 01-05-2020 at 12:24 AM.

Honestly probably 90% of the people who buy this gun won't care one way or another what sights are on it. But the other 10% will now have to wait for an aftermarket option--if one comes--or have something made or modified.

Would it really have been additional cost/effort to machine the slide for existing sights?

It's a Gen 1 version so who knows what updates and changes Ruger might make if the 57 is successful. The LC9 started out as a hammer fired pistol. They now have the LC9S (Striker fired), EC9s, LC380 and a LCP II. The PC carbine and Mini-14 have all undergone multiple updates as well.

If the gun succeeds it will naturally spur a few variants.

As I think I've mentioned; ammo price and availability will be the gun's downfall. If Ruger can convince Hornady or similar (and Hornady or similar can figure out FN's secret sauce case coating) to make ammo they should be all set.

There will be a small part of the market that wants threaded barrels, suppressor sights, red dot mounting options, etc. But even the average joe will want cheap and available ammo.

If the gun succeeds it will naturally spur a few variants.

As I think I've mentioned; ammo price and availability will be the gun's downfall. If Ruger can convince Hornady or similar (and Hornady or similar can figure out FN's secret sauce case coating) to make ammo they should be all set.

There will be a small part of the market that wants threaded barrels, suppressor sights, red dot mounting options, etc. But even the average joe will want cheap and available ammo.

I agree, brass availability is ultimately the make or break factor for 5.7 succeeding. With an alternate source of brass, other companies can start loading 5.7 target ammo.

And companies like Underwood and Buffalo Bore can work on developing high performance offerings, similar to the loads currently offered by Elite / Vanguard/ R&R.

One company that could be a promising option for brass is Shell Shock, maker of these innovative hybrid aluminum / steel cases. The base is aluminum, while the body is a thin wall stainless steel:

A couple advantages:
    -Shell shock cases are cheaper then brass
    -They are rated for 65-70kpsi - ideal for the higher end 5.7 loads / increased safety margin
    -The thin wall case offers slightly higher case capacity

I haven't seen TFB video review posted here yet. Im sold. 10 inch drop at 200 yards with FN ammo, that thing is a laser.

User Tag List