Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger-57. No Longer Just Internet Rumor

Bud's pre-order price is $679. Team Bud's members can order now; Monday for everyone. I am not sure how well it sell at that pricing. Yes, it is much less than FN offerings, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Bud's pre-order price is $679. Team Bud's members can order now; Monday for everyone. I am not sure how well it sell at that pricing. Yes, it is much less than FN offerings, but we will see.
    I haven't checked prices but I've read on a couple other forums that there are some places selling the FN for $900-ish. The FN ships with three mags.

The Ruger, at almost $700, may not be that far below an actual FN especially factoring in the third magazine.

So is the lowered pricing a reaponse to the Ruger or just distributors getting rid of old unsold stock?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I haven't checked prices but I've read on a couple other forums that there are some places selling the FN for $900-ish. The FN ships with three mags.

The Ruger, at almost $700, may not be that far below an actual FN especially factoring in the third magazine.

So is the lowered pricing a reaponse to the Ruger or just distributors getting rid of old unsold stock?

Just to keep it "apples to apples", Bud's price on the FN is $1332. I expect that to drop some, but even at $900, the Ruger is a good deal even factoring in $50 for an extra magazine. $$729 versus $900 is 19% less, and one can wait a bit to buy the extra magazine. For shooters on a budget (not that the 5.7 makes a ton of sense for shooters on a budget), the difference is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Just to keep it "apples to apples", Bud's price on the FN is $1332. I expect that to drop some, but even at $900, the Ruger is a good deal even factoring in $50 for an extra magazine. $$729 versus $900 is 19% less, and one can wait a bit to buy the extra magazine. For shooters on a budget (not that the 5.7 makes a ton of sense for shooters on a budget), the difference is significant.
    No doubt the Ruger will come down to something like $589 after a few months. I don't know about mags. They probably won't come down much.

On a somewhat related note I did call Flux Defense earlier. They are interested in making a stock and/or brace kit for the 57. I'll loan them my loaner if they need an immediate specimen to look at.

Please wake me up when it is 7.62x25 Tokarev.

Having been involved with 5.7 for 11 years now, the Five Seven, PS90, and 5.7 ammo have a cyclical price.

FN imports the Five Seven and PS90 in batches from Belgium.

When batches first arrive, prices are low; typically $900-1100 for FsN, $1100-$1300 for the PS90. As availability starts to dry up, we see both guns rise in price ($1200-$1300; $1300-1500) until the next batch arrives.

Similar cycle happens with SS197 ammo, which Fiocchi seems to make in batches as well. When the batch drops, price is a consistent $0.35-$0.37. When supply is low, we see prices edge up to $0.45-$0.5.

A quick perusal of Gunbroker and Midwest GunWorks (my two most reliable sources for cheap 5.7) show that we are currently in a 'batch drought' for SS197, with next to none left in stock. Which is unfortunate vis a vis Ruger releasing their 57 right now.

Grabagun has the Ruger-57 for $650, so the pricing is starting to get to the mass market tipping point.

I have to say though, people wishing for 7.62 Tokarev have no imaginations. They bother if 7.5FK is available? It's the same thing only better!

Sadly with Ruger going into 5.7, we need someone like S&W making a 7.5 gun for us now.

Site Supporter
    The more I look at this one, the more I want to buy two of them. One to tear into and have for my reference collection, another to mess around with. If a suppressor ready model or accessories comes out

One thing I'm thinking of on this . . . it could be a precursor to a PMR-30 competitor. Not too far of a stretch to go to .22WMR from 5.7x28. Just thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Should have spent their energy coming up with P365 competitor!
    I'd say just about everyone in the industry is trying to work up a P365 competitor.

How hard would it have been to build the thing to take Glock sights?
    I've said that more than once about several guns . . . and know a couple engineers/designers that want to put Glock sights on every gun they work on.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I've said that more than once about several guns . . . and know a couple engineers/designers that want to put Glock sights on every gun they work on.
    It would not have to be Glock sights. SIG sights would have been fine too. As would true Novak sight cuts front and rear.

The gun does use Novak cuts but the rear dovetail sits father back so a Novak 1911 sight would overhang the rear of the slide.

User Tag List