Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger-57. No Longer Just Internet Rumor

Quote Originally Posted by twrol View Post
    What do you suppose they follow this up with an AR-57 or a PC Carbine sharing 57 mags?
    Anything is possible. I'd say chances are good that some type of rifle will be produced.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    The 27gr typically gets 9-10" penetration, while completing one large, nasty yaw cycle. Its essentially a micro 5.45x39.

Here it is in the tougher, 20% ballistic gel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6wf41ze9U

Due to its aluminum core, its very penetrative, capable of going through a surprisingly thick chunk of bulletproof glass:
    https://youtu.be/_teY8vwwXvA?t=50

All in all its a mixed bag. Gel penetration is low, but is also displays the most rifle like velocity, tumbling, and barrier penetration.

It seems like from other tests, at 32gr and above is where we see 12" of penetration.
    I'll have to see if I can find it. I read a fairly recent test with the 27gr stuff. IIRC the bullet broke apart almost immediately and had pretty shallow penetration.

This stuff makes me curious about the 5.7 pistol as a whole. I may order up some Armscor 40gr JHP bullets to try in gel as well as some of the new Gold Dot when it becomes available.

What do you suppose they follow this up with an AR-57 or a PC Carbine sharing 57 mags?
    The "AR57" moniker is usually applied to the AR that uses the P90 magazines and ejects down the empy magazine well (although some smart people used a hollowed-out AR magazine as a brass catcher). We need to come up with a better name now for an AR that uses Ruger-57 magazines. Although I suppose we can make a distinction between the old AR57 and the new AR-57 with a dash.

This is exciting!

I was always interested in the 5.7, but high price tag, reported crappy trigger, and high ammo cost has always made it nothing more than justification for a .22tcm.

If this thing sells (or Ruger was smart enough to effect it preemptively) more manufacturer’s may get involved and bring the ammo cost down. If that happens, game on.

Maybe a single action army clone ??

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    The "AR57" moniker is usually applied to the AR that uses the P90 magazines and ejects down the empy magazine well (although some smart people used a hollowed-out AR magazine as a brass catcher). We need to come up with a better name now for an AR that uses Ruger-57 magazines. Although I suppose we can make a distinction between the old AR57 and the new AR-57 with a dash.
    Yeah I know. Ruger forgot about other calibers when they named their budget AR line "556".

But hey, since you bring up P90's, Ruger is on a role kicking people in the junk and has not put out a bull pup in a while.

I’d be interested in a charger type pistol using these mags with the ability to accept a brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What kind of penetration does the 27gr bullet have?

Not ideal at around 9 or 10 inches but very similar to Hornadys 55 grain 223 TAP round.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'll have to see if I can find it. I read a fairly recent test with the 27gr stuff. IIRC the bullet broke apart almost immediately and had pretty shallow penetration.

This stuff makes me curious about the 5.7 pistol as a whole. I may order up some Armscor 40gr JHP bullets to try in gel as well as some of the new Gold Dot when it becomes available.

Here's some good loading data on several projectiles from FiveSeven forum:
    https://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewt...719689dddc60cf

https://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewt...p?f=19&t=10996

Max load puts a 40gr VMAX in the 1950-2000fps range, in line with Elite's Protector load. Per Elite, the Nosler 40gr tipped projectile is even better, performing more consistently at 5.7 velocities.

Here is probably the best gel test of the Protector (40gr vmax @ 1950):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX-AEc4-A5U

That data would also seem relevant with using the 40gr TCM projectile.

Another popular projectile are the 30 and 36gr Barnes Varmint grenade. As I recall, at 5.7 velocity they dont fragment, but rather tumble similar to the 27gr SS198 projectile, but with better penetration:
    https://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewt...armint+grenade

In general, for any reloading, the FiveSeven forum is the place to look for info. Between Jay from Elite and the regulars over there, they probably have more knowledge of the nuances of 5.7x28 then FN does.

https://youtu.be/kh_WxeOAcxo

Test Results Summary

Chronograph Data
    FPS Measurements (Average of 5 shots)
    .................Weight...............Five-seveN.................AR57 12"
    SS197........40gr....................1709......... ................1969
    ProtecTOR...40gr....................1957.......... ...............2421
    S5 .............32gr....................2101......... ................2464
    S4M ...........28gr....................2414........... ..............2917
    CCI .22wmr40gr 1343

Ft-Lb Measurements (Average of 5 shots)
    .................Weight...............Five-seveN.................AR57 12"
    SS197 .......40gr....................259................ ............344
    ProtecTOR ..40gr....................340..................... .......521
    S5 .............32gr....................314.......... ..................431
    S4M ...........28gr....................362............ ................529
    CCI .22mr....40gr...................160

Ballistic Gelatin Block Results
    Blocks were 6x8x10” 10% ballistic gelatin, placed lengthwise for 20” total gelatin depth. All shots were taken from a distance of 10'.

SS197 (FsN Pistol)
    Shot #1: Fragmented early in the block, fragments penetrated the entire depth of the block and exited the back.

Shot #2: 14” penetration, core separated from jacket.

Shot #3: Fragmented early in the block, fragments penetrated to 18”

SS190 (FsN Pistol)
    Shot #1: Penetrated to 15”, round remained intact. Large (2.5”) cavitation present from 3”-10”, apparently due to bullet tumbling.

Shot #2: Penetrated to 14.5” before exiting the bottom of the block, bouncing off the metal, and continuing downrange outside (under) the block). Similar wound channel to shot #1 prior to exiting the block.

Shot #3: Penetrated to 15”, similar wound channel to shot #1. All rounds remained intact.

Elite Ammunition S4M
    Shot #1: Penetrated to 14”, fragmenting approximately 1” after entering the block and creating a large wound cavity with fragments present throughout the wound channel.

Shot #2: Penetrated to 14”, similar wound channel to shot #1.

Elite Ammunition ProtecTOR (FsN pistol)
    Shot #1: Penetrated to 11”, extensive fragmentation, core separated from jacket at 7.5”, largest diameter of wound channel was approximately 2.5”.

Shot #2: Penetrated to 14”, similar wound channel to shot #1 (extensive fragmentation).

Shot #3: Penetrated to 14”, similar wound channel to shots #1 and #2.

Elite Ammunition S4M (FsN pistol) 4-layer denim
    Shot #1: Penetrated to 11”, exhibited fragmentation (less than when fired into bare gelatin).

Shot #2 – Penetrated to 12.5”, similar fragmentation as shot #1, core separated from the jacket and exited the block.

Shot #3 – Penetrated to 15”, exited the top of the block, bounced off the denim laying along the top, recovered in this position.

Elite Ammunition S5
    Shot #1: Penetrated to 16”, no fragmentation and almost no deformation.

Shot #2 – Penetrated to 16”, same as above

Shot #3 – Penetrated to 18”, same as above

CCI .22WMR 40gr HP
    These rounds were fired into a single 10" block. Both rounds penetrated the length of the block and created a wound channel not much larger than the bullet's diameter.

Guns used in this video:
    FN Five-seveN
    57Center AR57
    FN PS90
    Kel-Tec PMR-30

Ammunition Used:
    Elite Ammunition ProtecTOR
    Elite Ammunition S5
    Elite Ammunition S4M
    SS197
    SS190
    CCI Maxi Mag .22WMR HO