Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger-57. No Longer Just Internet Rumor

So we finally have a sub $700 home defense handgun with velocities beyond 2000 FPS that can provide useful cavitation terminal effects. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    So we finally have a sub $700 home defense handgun with velocities beyond 2000 FPS that can provide useful cavitation terminal effects. What's not to like?
    Not likely to achieve 2000+ FPS from this handgun. Factory AE ran something like 1,650 FPS over my chrono. My 40gr VMAX loads are running about 1,750. From what I've read that's pretty close to what the factory FN 40gr does from the Five seveN.

Maybe with the 27gr stuff it'll get there. But that bullet breaks apart immediately in gel from what I've seen. No personal experience with it however.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's a bummer.
    I think the best way to describe it would be, "They humor me..."

Not to make light of my relationship. There are many solid people working for Ruger and I am happy to be acquainted with them. But they have many market forces that come into effect. What I think might be a good idea might sway production costs too far outside of what their design folks want to do. Or the marketing guys don't think some features are needed, etc.

Ruger knows its market. I made a comment some years ago to my friend about making the AR556 with a mid-length gas system. But would that have really made any difference? Would a sub-$600 AR sold any better with a slightly longer gas tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Not likely to achieve 2000+ FPS from this handgun. Factory AE ran something like 1,650 FPS over my chrono. My 40gr VMAX loads are running about 1,750. From what I've read that's pretty close to what the factory FN 40gr does from the Five seveN.

Maybe with the 27gr stuff it'll get there. But that bullet breaks apart immediately in gel from what I've seen. No personal experience with it however.
    I was thinking of loads from Elite Ammunition like the T6B that gives 2480 FPS from the 5.7 pistol or any of their 2000 FPS ballistic tip or FMJ pistol loads.

From the website: “Steel magazine provides double stack capacity without unnecessary bulk.” And Gaston takes fire...

I actually kinda like the idea. A needlegun for the masses!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I hope this leads to a 10/57. That would make a dandy woods loafing carbine.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    I agree.

If anything it will be a Ruger PCC.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    I agree.

If anything it will be a Ruger PCC.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Ruger 10/57 Charger pistol with brace could be a poor mans P90.

I think the best way to describe it would be, "They humor me..."

Not to make light of my relationship. There are many solid people working for Ruger and I am happy to be acquainted with them. But they have many market forces that come into effect. What I think might be a good idea might sway production costs too far outside of what their design folks want to do. Or the marketing guys don't think some features are needed, etc.
    I e-mailed them years back about taking the Mini-30 design and working it out to take 8-round enbloc clips of 7.62x39mm and calling it the Mini-Garand. Was told no in very clear terms. Maybe if you try, they'll see a market trend!

Site Supporter
    I can’t find it, but out there on the internets is a video of a cop with a p90 putting a couple of bursts into a guy’s torso and after the end of the second burst the shootee basically says something along the lines of “ok ok please stop shooting me” without much of a physical reaction at all.

User Tag List