Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Selecting 22LR for Range Use

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I’ve shot a lot of .22 ammo, mostly in rifle matches at ranges from 40 to 300 yards. In my experience CCI Mini Mags and Aguila Super Extra HV are the high velocity rounds to start with in testing a new gun. Federal 710 or 810 were the high velocity rounds I’d try if my gun didn’t like CCI or Aguila. I’ve not had any misfire issues with those Federal loads. In standard velocity stuff, CCI is the gold standard. If you want to try match ammo, Wolf Match Target or one of the various Aguila match loads are a good place to start as they are fairly reasonable in price. In bulk ammo, a lot of people shooting long range .22 had decent results with Federal Auto Match. I’ve never had stellar results accuracy wise with any of the Winchester .22 LR loads. Avoid Remington .22 ammo.
    While I—and my .22 pistols—prefer the 40-grain RN CCI Mini Mags, I've also had acceptable experience with the Federal 810 (40-grain CPRN at 1,240fps) and as you note, misfires are a non-issue. They also have enough power to cycle the most recalcitrant actions reliably.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 01-02-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List