Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selecting 22LR for Range Use

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yes, that's what you want. They are the "go to". You could shoot nothing else for the rest of your life and feel happy.

Lots of other good ammo out there, but you won't find anything better for your purposes.

Both my Brownings and my S&W like these kinds:
    https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rimfi...of-500-rounds/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953439553

Almost no failures to fire, and good accuracy.

EDIT: Frankly I would not go more expensive then that for a range pistol. It will still be more accurate than you are.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 12-31-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Another vote for CCI Mini-Mags. Federal's higher-end stuff would likely work too, as would Winchester's plastic box offerings. My M&P22 runs like a top on any of them.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm working my way through a bulk pack of Federal blue box that has a lot of duds.

I concur with the Mini Mag advice.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    That stuff is the Glock 19 of .22 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    My Plastic Smith is 100% on CCI Mini-Mags. 40 grain copper plated roundnose high velocity.

People will tell you to "try a box of everything" but I bet if you try a box of Mini-Mags you can stop right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    CCI Standard Velocity is my go to. Remington Thunderbolts seem to suck less now, than they used too. Federal bulk, and Remington Golden bullet seem to fail to feed/fire/extract more than most. This has been in various 10/22 rifles, Charger Take down, Savage MKII, Ruger MKII, H&R 999. My Smith .22c will work with darn neer anything, so it is somewhat gun dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    CCI Minimags are my go to as well. CCI SV is my preferred suppressor ammo. I’ve found CCI Blazer to function well and cost a bit less than the minimags in my experience as well. And I shoot more rimfire than anything else. Around 10-15k per year.

I ordered an extra case of 22 the day the G44 was announced. Chomping at the bit to shoot it ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Another vote for CCI. I think I have a bunch of the standard velocity but prefer Mini-Mags. The solid round nose variant has never given me any problems in either my AA G19 kit or M&P 15-22. Golden Saber (Remingotn I think) hasn't been very good IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I very much like CCIs new "clean" poly ammo. Both in SV and HV flavors. Runs very reliable and results in less lead fouling.

Otherwise you should buy a couple brands and see what runs well. My AA G19 conversion chockes on all SV ammo and really only likes a few HV brands, primarily Remington.

My 15-22 eats pretty much anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Run mini mags until you find a problem they're not solving.

They run a semi auto well and are not the most accurate but unless shooting for groups at 25 and you are a pretty good distance shooter I doubt you will notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Yes, that's what you want. They are the "go to". You could shoot nothing else for the rest of your life and feel happy.

Lots of other good ammo out there, but you won't find anything better for your purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Another vote for CCI Mini-Mags. Federal's higher-end stuff would likely work too, as would Winchester's plastic box offerings. My M&P22 runs like a top on any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm working my way through a bulk pack of Federal blue box that has a lot of duds.

I concur with the Mini Mag advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    That stuff is the Glock 19 of .22 ammo.
    Attachment 46551

Looks like we have a winner.

Thanks guys. Love this Forum.

I purchased 5K Aguila HV back when there was a shortage. Still have a bunch. That stuff isn't auto friendly. My buddy and I have both come to that conclusion using Ruger auto loaders. I tried some CCI (SV) and the problems went away. Never tried the HV CCI or mini mags so no opinion.

I was so impressed with CCI (SV) that I purchased 10K before the next banic takes it all. CCI, Speer and Federal are all subsidiaries of Vista Outdoor. I think it all comes out of the same plant in Lewiston Idaho.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-31-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Attachment 46551

Looks like we have a winner.

Thanks guys. Love this Forum.
    I’ve also had good results with Aguila “super extra” it’s Aguila’s version of minion mags. Copper wash bullet at similar velocity as mini mags. It’s worked in every gun that has worked with mini mags including a couple conversion kits and autos that won’t work with standard velocity or bare lead ammo.

.22 LR ammo ranges from bulk to high-end match. Bulk is ammo packaged in a container with no effort given to keeping the rounds from damaging each other. At the other end of the spectrum is ammo made by Eley that is priced like centerfire match ammo.

As others have noted, CCI is a good place to start, and CCI offers everything from bulk to hunting to match ammo. Other good manufacturers are Aguila, Geco, Lapua, and SK. Federal and CCI have the same parent, but I have more consistent results from CCI. I prefer standard velocity because it is more accurate and because it has a quieter report. My general rule of thumb is any .22 handgun must consistently group with CCI Standard Velocity. If it does not, there is an issue with the handgun. But rimfire gun and ammo combos are a law to themselves; some guns provide the best precision with some ammo while other guns of the same model group poorly. Once you find the ammo that works best (value based on precision and cost) for your gun, it makes sense to buy cases of that lot. But until you determine what ammo is the best for you, buy boxes or bricks to see how each ammo performs in your gun. The last thing you need is a case of ammo that performs poorly with your gun.
    Last edited by farscott; 12-31-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Something to be aware of: .22 ammo can have a waxy bullet lube which can be sticky, and over time it can build up in magazines. It’s easy to clean out if it does get to the point of causing feeding issues.

User Tag List