Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting 22LR for Range Use

Selecting 22LR for Range Use

I’m going to be purchasing a Glock 44 in 22LR next month, my first 22. It will be a training / range fun gun, primarily, complimenting my Glock 19.

Since I’ve never so much as seen a .22 round, except possibly once at Scout Summer Camp many moons ago, what does one look for when selecting .22 ammo?

Are there ‘better’ or more reliable brands out there?

How about manufacturers? Do Federal, Speer etc names I’m familiar with from 9mm ammo carry over to .22?

Lastly, are there any specific skus or ammo types that have proven reliability and accuracy over the years?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 12-31-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Gram Arr

My Plastic Smith is 100% on CCI Mini-Mags. 40 grain copper plated roundnose high velocity.

People will tell you to "try a box of everything" but I bet if you try a box of Mini-Mags you can stop right there.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    My Plastic Smith is 100% on CCI Mini-Mags. 40 grain copper plated roundnose high velocity.

People will tell you to "try a box of everything" but I bet if you try a box of Mini-Mags you can stop right there.
    Thanks Jim.

Is it this one?

https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-lr...ated-ammo-0030

That's the stuff.

I am currently shooting Aquila HV because it was available sooner as .22s came back on the market after the Obama-Clinton Panic, but when I resupply, it will be Mini-Mag.

My target pistols get CCI Standard Velocity. There is more accurate ammo available but it is much more expensive and I am not good enough to tell a difference except off a good rest.

Gee, nobody has any.
    Aquila is OK as is Federal. I'd look for copper plated high velocity if CCI doesn't come in by the time you get the gun.

I buy from Target Sports, "free" shipping on case lots.
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-l...mo-c-202.aspx#
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 12-31-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Jim pretty much echoed my experience and thoughts. Mini-Mags to start and Standard Velocity if you want a lower velocity and/or quieter load for target shooting. My Ruger 22/45 likes the CCI SV load and it pairs nicely with the suppressor. However, it won't cycle the gun properly once it gets very filthy (500-1000 rounds with no cleaning at all).

I've also found the standard velocity, plain lead Armscor load to be quite good accuracy-wise and cheaper than the CCI SV option, but I can't find it locally anymore.

Beyond that, buy a bunch of different loads and experiment.

Chris

CCI Standard Velocity is my go to. Remington Thunderbolts seem to suck less now, than they used too. Federal bulk, and Remington Golden bullet seem to fail to feed/fire/extract more than most. This has been in various 10/22 rifles, Charger Take down, Savage MKII, Ruger MKII, H&R 999. My Smith .22c will work with darn neer anything, so it is somewhat gun dependent.
    Taking a break from social media.

CCI Minimags are my go to as well. CCI SV is my preferred suppressor ammo. I’ve found CCI Blazer to function well and cost a bit less than the minimags in my experience as well. And I shoot more rimfire than anything else. Around 10-15k per year.

I ordered an extra case of 22 the day the G44 was announced. Chomping at the bit to shoot it ASAP.

Another vote for CCI. I think I have a bunch of the standard velocity but prefer Mini-Mags. The solid round nose variant has never given me any problems in either my AA G19 kit or M&P 15-22. Golden Saber (Remingotn I think) hasn't been very good IME.
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-31-2019 at 10:33 AM.

I very much like CCIs new "clean" poly ammo. Both in SV and HV flavors. Runs very reliable and results in less lead fouling.

Otherwise you should buy a couple brands and see what runs well. My AA G19 conversion chockes on all SV ammo and really only likes a few HV brands, primarily Remington.

My 15-22 eats pretty much anything.

Site Supporter
    Run mini mags until you find a problem they're not solving.

They run a semi auto well and are not the most accurate but unless shooting for groups at 25 and you are a pretty good distance shooter I doubt you will notice.

User Tag List