Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When will the CR123 die (or when can we kill it)?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BCA View Post
    Anyone have a good recommendation for a 18650 rechargeable. Im using a 2 cell CR123A Surefire and there are so many options. Just trying to be safe regarding batteries.

edit:after some more research, it seems that 18650 are too wide for the body I am using.
    You can have your Surefire body bored to fit the 18650. If you want to totally go over the top on it. Or buy a Malkoff body that is bored that size.

Quote Originally Posted by BCA View Post
    Anyone have a good recommendation for a 18650 rechargeable. Im using a 2 cell CR123A Surefire and there are so many options. Just trying to be safe regarding batteries.

edit:after some more research, it seems that 18650 are too wide for the body I am using.
    A 16650 cell will work just fine. I use these in my SF lights that will not accept an 18mm cell;

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...utton-top.html

https://www.orbtronic.com/16650-li-i...able-protected

Found some lights in the shop. and a bag of batteries. So I guess (a) CR123 store pretty well (these have been in an unconditioned workshop for ~5 years) and (b) I shouldn't need to buy any CR123s for awhile so no need to change platforms.

I'll keep the 3.2+ tested, trash the 2.8-2.9 tested, and not sure yet about the 3.1-3.2 tested...
    Name:  IMG_1574.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  101.0 KB

After years of resisting using CR123s due to cost, I finally broke down in the mid-2000's and bought some Surefire lights. I found the quality of the Surefires was the same the Streamlights, and the Streamlights were MUCH cheaper and let me use rechargeable batteries where a Surefire would kill them. I also don't care for exposed tail buttons. I sold all my SFs and haven't looked back.

I use several ProTac Streamlights that take CR123s and have had zero issues with them. My needs are different than yours, as I need longer throws and higher lumens. My HL-X is the perfect on duty back up with a small size, well designed pocket clip, great reflector and UI, 1000L on high for traffic stops and outdoor searches, and 60L on low for vehicle and personal searches. I haven't used the 18650 for it, but plan on buying one. I always have a spare pair of 123s in my pocket as backups.

I prefer a light at or under 4" for EDC carry as I keep it in the front left pocket of my pants/shorts. I've used a Streamlight 1L-1AA for years, but am looking for one with the same rough length (4.25") or shorter, that takes CR123s or rechargeables, and at least 500 lumens. The top contenders with the UI I prefer are both from Klarus... The XT1C & XT1A. Anyone have experience with the Klarus lights?

You can find 20 packs of Energizer 123 batteries on Amazon for under $21 shipped, so the cost per unit is now on par with AAs. A 20 pack lasts a year between my handhelds and WMLs. Make sure any rechargeable batteries you purchase are protected and compatible with your light's body and spring type (ie. button or flat top, etc).

For those that use Tasers like the X2, X26, et al, the batteries for the weapons consist of two CR123 batteries and a circuit board. We replace the Taser batteries when they reach 40% or so and remove the CR123s from them. They make great back up batteries for flashlights!
    Last edited by iWander; 01-20-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Streamlight ProTac HL 4

This flashlight takes 4 of the CR batteries. I ended purchasing from Streamlight 4 18650 batteries and a charger. I now use 2 in the flashlight with 2 fully charged when the ones in the flashlight need replacing. Works out well.

CR123s are a non-issue for me. I have several weapon lights, a Streamlight 1L-1AA, and a Fenix TK11 and TK10 (yea they're old). I just buy a box of whatever Amazon has at a decent price, usually Panasonic every couple of years. The 1L-1AA rides in my pocket as long as I'm wearing pants and is used daily. It still gets me a month per battery. CR123s last far longer than AAs and throw a lot more light. I'll keep the CR123s...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I'll keep the CR123s...
    Makes sense in many ways. I use them in my vehicle emergency handheld lights (a Streamlight PolyTac in my wife's car, an old Surefire G2 with a Malkoff LED module in my car) and in an old Surefire M951 updated with a LED module for my carbine. Being able to stick a fresh set of batteries in these lights and then essentially forget about them until needed is nice.

That said, CR123A batteries cannot support some of today's high performance (high current draw) lights. Modlite, certain Malkoff lights, etc. can only run on Li-ion cells which have far greater current capacity than the old CR123A. Even some of the "dual fuel" lights like the SF Fury DFT take a hit in performance if a Li-ion cell is not used. I suspect this is a trend that will continue to grow, and at some point may render the CR123A obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Makes sense in many ways. I use them in my vehicle emergency handheld lights (a Streamlight PolyTac in my wife's car, an old Surefire G2 with a Malkoff LED module in my car) and in an old Surefire M951 updated with a LED module for my carbine. Being able to stick a fresh set of batteries in these lights and then essentially forget about them until needed is nice.

That said, CR123A batteries cannot support some of today's high performance (high current draw) lights. Modlite, certain Malkoff lights, etc. can only run on Li-ion cells which have far greater current capacity than the old CR123A. Even some of the "dual fuel" lights like the SF Fury DFT take a hit in performance if a Li-ion cell is not used. I suspect this is a trend that will continue to grow, and at some point may render the CR123A obsolete.
    Yes, that's exactly my situation. My TK10 stays in the door pocket in my pickup. It may get used a couple times a year and it always works when it does get used. I don't have to worry about leaky AAs (or whatever other size). I have 2 streamlight LED lanterns that were damn near ruined by not very old at all Duracells bought at Sam's Club. I buy Amazon Basics for those now and have had great luck with them so far...

I'm not LEO and live in an urban setting unfortunately. If I had a more mission critical need for these lights the requirement parameters would be have to be adjusted accordingly. As it is my requirements for handheld and weapon lights are met quite nicely with CR123s.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    You can have your Surefire body bored to fit the 18650.
    Vendor recommendations?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List