Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Fuck it. I’m in.

220lbs today. Sure would like to return to my 180s days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Clocked in at 22.6% body fat this morning. Up 0.6% since pre-holiday measurements, so not great, but could have been worse. I suspect it will remain stagnant for another week or two while we work through the holiday goodies and attend the remaining New Year's functions.

I'm wondering if I should embrace the suck and nose dive to my target percentage or stay gradual. A quick loss would be a little more difficult to maintain after the fact, but being in a months' long calorie deficit beats the bejesus out of my strength.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Alright, I’m in too.

Weight yesterday was 193; waist 35.5”

That’s 14 lbs down from my high of a couple years ago. I figure optimal weight would be 175-180. I’ll officially shoot for 180, front-loaded to the first half of the year.

I’ll aim for 1.5 lbs a week loss, with 160 grams of protein and 7 servings of fruit and vegetables a day

88 kg right now, gonna drop 17 kg and get shredded by spring break for all the baaaaabes maaaan
    Last edited by pooty; 01-03-2020 at 01:01 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I’m officially down 0.2 pounds for 2019, so mission accomplished.

I’d like to gain ~15 pounds in 2020 while maintaining single digit body fat, but I don’t think I’ll be able to pull that off.
    Mr. Jones be jacking the steel. Damn.

I would be interested in the program/math working towards that goal. Weight loss has been pretty straight forward to me and last winter/spring was really successful. But when adding higher volume/intensity exercise man it is hard to figure out volume of food/protein for recovery and GAINS while maintaining.

48 hour fasts have been no issues but throw 20 minutes with the 60 lb sandbag, an hour running the Stihl 461, or a few mile weighted ruck and I will tear your throat out for a protein cookie or some peanut butter on 88% dark chocolate.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Ima keep doing what I've been doing and see how it goes. Down about 30 lb in the past year and a half without really trying. My body's enforced some dietary changes on me that have had OK side effects. Don't know how much of the improvement is eliminating stuff that my body reacts to as toxic. My older sister lost "a person" when she started to get her hands around the food allergies that had been slowly killing her for years. Jordan Peterson lost 50 lb immediately. I have lost 30 so far and am damn close to where is probably ideal for health. It kinda makes me wonder how much of the obesity problem is promoted by low-level chemical toxins in the food supply rather than mere quantity.

Normal weight oscillation is +/-1.5-2 lb day to day, hour to hour depending on how much I've eaten and how full of piss and shit I am.

It has been an unsteady progression, with plateaus along the way. I've honestly been more worried about it being a problem in periods where the weight suddenly drops significantly, because that's happened without really making conscious changes.

Basically, I've stopped eating at restaurants except for a salad bar. And the simplistic and hopefully accurate way of looking at it is my body has gone back to the equilibrium it had 20+ years ago before I started eating at restaurants regularly. I have to avoid anything with citric acid or sulfites in the ingredients, which is about 90 percent of the grocery store. I can do citrus fruit juice OK, so I suspect the problem is actually sulfite contamination from how citric acid is produced industrially. I've had a known sulfite reaction for years; it seems to have kicked into high gear. For the most part, I eat only food I prep from basic ingredients. It's boring, and I don't like doing the prep (it's not bad, but I'd rather do other stuff with the time), so I only eat as much as I need. And I don't dump in a lot of sugar and excess fat. At least it tastes good.

For example, I picked up a head cold (so far) from my brother in law at Christmas. Both kinds of cough syrup I have in the house list citric acid as the first "inactive" ingredient. A dose of either would make me sicker than being sick. A year ago, no problem. Not sure where to go now.

Looking forward to back and hernia (surgeries on both aren't the worst of it the past year) getting to where I can do some serious exercise. It's been old-person gentle walks for too long.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-03-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    235.1 and 30.5% body fat (per the scale in the bathroom) . . . . Goal is 195-200 by June.

Yeah, eating like an asshole got me at the end of the year, I put on about 5 pounds in the last two weeks of the year. On the plus side, going to OTF has changed things for me in a very good way. Looking at my workout statistics my running pace has increased about 1-1.5mph in 5 months and the floor workouts have gotten easier. I've gone from 2 days a week to being there 5-6 days a week. One of the best things I've done. I signed up for the "Transformation Challenge" at my gym to see what I could accomplish in 8 weeks, this year they're basing it on how much body fat you drop in 8 weeks. We'll see how everything shakes out.

My only enemies this year are myself and the Taco Bell menu.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    05JAN2020
    200.0 lbs - 23.1% bf

Did decent on the calorie counting, threw it in the towel Saturday knowingly by working the mini-fridge empty. Work resumes tomorrow.
    ------
    01JAN2020
    201.2lb
    23.3% body fat

Starting the year at 179, and that's after two weeks of vacation, being sick, and not exercising. Goal is to make and maintain 175.

I’m actually hopping onboard with vigor on this one. So far I’m down from 241.8lbs to 238.2lbs. For the month of January I’m completely cutting out processed sugar, bread, and alcohol. For the first 3 days I did nothing but baked potatoes to kick myself off. Now I’m to 2-3 reasonable meals per day with no seconds. I also just got back from my first gym session of the year. 25 minutes on the treadmill of which it calculated I burned 235 calories.

My overall goal for the year is to get myself down to 200lbs or less and keep it there. I don’t plan on entering in any big races, but I definitely plan on continuing to get better in USPSA. My goal there is to from my current ranking of 54.0229% (C Class) to at least 75% (A class).

I’m 5’8” ish with definitely an endomorphic build and would just generally like to be a healthier and overall more useful human being. Given my overall goals, how much should I be concentrating on cardio and how much should I be hitting the weights?

User Tag List