Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Will No Longer Use CCI Pistol Primers with Revolver loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Ok, but if that is the case why does this only occur with a variety of 38/357 revolvers using only the CCI small pistol primers but not other brand primers or revolvers and never with 9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP, 5.56, 308, 7MM Rem Mag using the same Hornady hand priming tool?
    Headspace differences will certainly account for that variation.

I Will No Longer Use CCI Pistol Primers with Revolver loads.

If your gun has an extended firing pin, and a strong hammer/striker spring, it will usually ignite even very hard and/or high primers (not fully seated). Eg my CGW Prograde P-07s will ignite even weakly seated CCI 41 military rifle primers, with a not so heavy hammer spring.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-30-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Headspace differences will certainly account for that variation.
    It is the only rimmed cartridge that I load so I could see that.

I've had zero problems with recently manufactured CCI SP primers. In the immediate aftermath of the great ammo shortage I had some problems with CCI, and a whole lot of problems with Winchester.

Are you shooting DA, SA, or both? Have you tried them in auto pistol ammo?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I've had zero problems with recently manufactured CCI SP primers. In the immediate aftermath of the great ammo shortage I had some problems with CCI, and a whole lot of problems with Winchester.

Are you shooting DA, SA, or both? Have you tried them in auto pistol ammo?
    Double action. No issues with autoloaders using the same primers. I checked primer depth and several of the guys here were on the money. Many of the primers were not fully seated. I ran a couple hundred back through my Hornady hand priming tool and found I had to squeeze the very bottom of the lever quite hard to get additional seating depth which did leave minor impression marks of the primer face. The depth change is more noticeable by feel than sight. I will see if this makes a difference on the range. I have some pretty significant grip strength so I wonder if it's not time to replace this tool. I should not have to squeeze this hard to get full seating. On a conservative guess I say it has primed 12K rounds.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 12-31-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Ok, but if that is the case why does this only occur with a variety of 38/357 revolvers using only the CCI small pistol primers but not other brand primers or revolvers and never with 9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP, 5.56, 308, 7MM Rem Mag using the same Hornady hand priming tool?
    Somebody mentioned headspace. That cartridge is flopping back and forth in a revolver chamber, while the breach face holds it in place with every other type. Also it's more possible to have gunk in the front of the chamber preventing the round from fully seating until it is whacked by the firing pin. Revolvers can be tricky.

Revolver shooters from the past have found that Federal primers with a crush fit are the most reliable. CCI primers have been known as the hardest to set off in lightened actions. Chambers must be perfectly clean. Many revolver shooters seat their primers to look physically slightly flattened.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Somebody mentioned headspace. That cartridge is flopping back and forth in a revolver chamber, while the breach face holds it in place with every other type. Also it's more possible to have gunk in the front of the chamber preventing the round from fully seating until it is whacked by the firing pin. Revolvers can be tricky.

Revolver shooters from the past have found that Federal primers with a crush fit are the most reliable. CCI primers have been known as the hardest to set off in lightened actions. Chambers must be perfectly clean. Many revolver shooters seat their primers to look physically slightly flattened.
    Ok good to know. I think that is right where I am at after running them through the priming tool a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Seating the primer fully can help. I’ve added a primer support die in my 1050, and am now able to use CCI primers for 9mm in a Shadow2 with an 8.5# mainspring.
    Most revolvers will bind if the primers aren't seated fully long before the hammer has a chance to fall and have a light strike.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Most revolvers will bind if the primers aren't seated fully long before the hammer has a chance to fall and have a light strike.
    I’ve found that many primers that aren’t proud of the rim can still be seated deeper. If the strike is heavy it doesn’t matter, but for light gamer gun strikes, the last few thousandths seem to make a difference.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

And there are variances between primer pocket dimensions as well as primer dimensions. I've also seen primer pockets that are tapered slightly to the bottom. Now couple this with CCIs reputation for producing slightly larger diameter primers. I know this to be true because I've purchased CCI primers in the past because they are larger, and I could get maybe a couple more loadings from some of my brass. So the OPs cases could have some bearing in this issue as well.

https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php

SAAMI small primer specs: .1745 to .1765 diameter, .115 to .126 height. Primer pocket specs: .1730 to .1745 diameter, .123 depth. It looks like primers are expected to be a crush fit in the pockets. Quite a range for something so small.

See page 26 for SAAMI primer pocket specs, the file won't let me cherry pick just one page: https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

User Tag List