Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the "roll of quarters" trick actually a thing?

If you're going to carry something and throw punches with it in your hand...a properly fitted pair of knuckles seems like the vastly superior choice.

Learning to throw a proper punch works better than these silly gimmicks.

Im not against improvised weapons but this "trick" is almost as silly as trying to use your car keys to become wolverine.

Site Supporter
    It kinda sounded like gun counter derp. Yet another reason P-F stands out.

I have a slightly better BJJ base than striking so I could definitely improve my stand-up game. I think better accuracy and picking your shots are definitely good suggestions with knuckles as a no from me.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Making a proper fist is hard and takes practice because if you are a bit off, it will greatly weaken the punch and it will exponentially increase the risk of damage. Putting a roll of quarters inside the grip puts the fingers and knuckles in the same position that a poorly formed fist does. Not a smart thing
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

-delete-
    Last edited by pooty; 01-03-2020 at 01:28 AM. Reason: gay

An interesting read on the subject:

http://www.donrearic.com/fistload.html

Worth the read just for the old martial arts magazine ads.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    An interesting read on the subject:

http://www.donrearic.com/fistload.html

Worth the read just for the old martial arts magazine ads.
    I used to correspond with him close to twenty years ago...primarily about knives. He's an "interesting" fella.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Rearic always struck me as one of the last of the "untested theories published by Paladin Press" types.

Although I did work with a guy who had his orbital socket smashed, allegedly by a guy holding a roll of quarters. I wasn't working that night so I can't attest to the quarters but you don't often see a single punch smash a guy's eye socket like that, and the other bouncer said it was a single sucker punch that did it, by a guy with a roll of quarters.

I don't think they caught him, though, so it's also entirely possible they decided "roll of quarters" in order to salvage the guy's pride, consciously or unconsciously. They had to screw his skull back together, or that's how the surgery was described to me anyway, and he had a permanent squint on one side afterwards. He told me the doctor had thought it was a pool cue hit.

But I wasn't there for the hit, or the hospital trip, or any of that. I got the story from the other bouncer the next night and more details from the punchee a few weeks later when he came back to work. At the time I didn't think to question how they knew about the quarters, I just assumed they were giving me the story as it happened. And, come to think of it, I don't even know if the second guy was at the door or on the floor in the bar, so I don't even know if he saw the hit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Rearic always struck me as one of the last of the "untested theories published by Paladin Press" types.

Although I did work with a guy who had his orbital socket smashed, allegedly by a guy holding a roll of quarters. I wasn't working that night so I can't attest to the quarters but you don't often see a single punch smash a guy's eye socket like that, and the other bouncer said it was a single sucker punch that did it, by a guy with a roll of quarters.

I don't think they caught him, though, so it's also entirely possible they decided "roll of quarters" in order to salvage the guy's pride, consciously or unconsciously. They had to screw his skull back together, or that's how the surgery was described to me anyway, and he had a permanent squint on one side afterwards. He told me the doctor had thought it was a pool cue hit.

But I wasn't there for the hit, or the hospital trip, or any of that. I got the story from the other bouncer the next night and more details from the punchee a few weeks later when he came back to work. At the time I didn't think to question how they knew about the quarters, I just assumed they were giving me the story as it happened. And, come to think of it, I don't even know if the second guy was at the door or on the floor in the bar, so I don't even know if he saw the hit.
    I used to work at a mental hospital. Guy I worked with got his orbital smashed by a single sucker punch, and there was no roll of quarters or anything else but a fist involved. Docs had to put the eye back in when they put his face back together.

He did not return to work.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Okay, well, there you go. They could easily have concluded "must have been a weapon because no punch would lay me out like that" and just inferred, then reassured each other that the roll of quarters was there. I can't see I have seen a lot of eye sockets broken by fists but I have no doubt it could be done.

And they must not have caught the guy because I'm sure I would remember that story because they would have beat him half to death, at least.

Sidebar: about a year later, the other bouncer from that story really picked a fight with the wrong guy one night and beat him up pretty badly, kind of over nothing. The guy came back later, just after close, head looking like an enormous bloody potato. He himself was not in condition to do much, but he brought a few bikers and they crowbarred the door off the frame, came in, and applied the same crowbar to the bouncer. He did not come back to work, ever, as far as I know.

Vic, the guy who'd had his orbital broken, was relatively lucky, I thought at least, because the strike had clearly come like a hook, like with a vertical fist from the side. So the whole structure did not come apart, it was more like cracks throughout the assembly. I believe he was back at work that same summer, althought this is fifteen years ago so I may have the timeline kind of wrong.

User Tag List