Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the "roll of quarters" trick actually a thing?

What about the stinger, which is like a pushdagger for punching?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ed L; 01-04-2020 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Looks like a dick or an IUD. I'd run away upon its presentation...hey, you don't know where they've been.

Personally, I think most things like that are likely to make the gendarmes or the jury think one was out looking for trouble...and what is the likelihood of being able to get it into proper position in time? I think it might hurt it if rotated in one's grip but I haven't worked with one to comment from experience.
    Last edited by blues; 01-04-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

No and I’ll tell you what won’t break and hits many times harder than a roll of quarters or plastic penis; an elbow.

I’d imagine the roll of quarters to boost your punching power a bit. More weight on the striking end helps that, a momentum thing.

Dunno if I’d use it and risk the increased chance of breaking hand bones though...

I saw an old partner of mine load his fist with a Streamlight Stinger and use it to fine effect on multiple occasions; it worked well for him. I never tried it, as I usually had a larger flashlight or an ironwood baton in my hand when things got sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Note in the picture how open and unsupported each finger is.

IF you can hit perfectly on a precise target, and IF the only thing that makes contact is the tip of the stinger, it will work okay.

The problem is that those are really big ifs, and if the universe does not line up perfectly and allow the perfect hit, your hands are in a perfect position for serious damage.

The other issue with the stinger is how do you carry it? If you carry it concealed, how do you get to it quickly and functionally deploy it? And if you carry it on your keychain (one of the ways they tell you to) it is bulky and pretty obvious. It is also obviously only a fighting implement (regardless of how the manufacturer tries to sell it as "tell them it is a massage tool ).

I tried carrying these in the mid 80's. I never found it a good idea.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    It is also obviously only a fighting implement (regardless of how the manufacturer tries to sell it as "tell them it is a massage tool ).
    My preferred story for the Stinger especially if it's under close scrutiny and examination by law enforcement, is that it's a prostate massager for better ejaculation over 50.

They usually drop it pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    My preferred story for the Stinger especially if it's under close scrutiny and examination by law enforcement, is that it's a prostate massager for better ejaculation over 50.

They usually drop it pretty quickly.

That's hawt.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is this actually a force multiplier?
    While I can't find it right now, I read something out of a kinesiology program that measure energy from different weight boxing gloves. For energy there wasn't much difference between the weight of gloves. A little bit of weight helped but with too much there was a significant decline. Yes you will hit "harder" with a roll of quarters, I doubt that the actual difference will amount to anything meaningful. That thing you feel when you punch with different weight gloves is momentum, that's mass times velocity. That thing that breaks bones is energy, that's 1/2 mass time velocity squared. Perception of "force" being multiplied doesn't mean there's an actual "force" multiplier.

If those little poker things pivot heel of the palm towards the finger tips, they can partially deglove fingers. If it's got to move somewhere it's going out between your fingers. We had an officer severely injure himself with a push dagger*, regardless of what he said happened, it was pretty obvious that would have turned 180 degrees between his fingers and the blade went through his thenar eminence and partially amputated his thumb. *if it really happened with a push dagger, since there's no way his "the blade broke" story could work out the way he says it happened.
    Last edited by txdpd; 01-06-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    The other issue with the stinger is how do you carry it? If you carry it concealed, how do you get to it quickly and functionally deploy it? And if you carry it on your keychain (one of the ways they tell you to) it is bulky and pretty obvious. It is also obviously only a fighting implement (regardless of how the manufacturer tries to sell it as "tell them it is a massage tool ).

I tried carrying these in the mid 80's. I never found it a good idea.
    I carried my stinger in my front jacket hand warmer pocket, for about a month until it wasn’t there anymore. You can’t really go around to bars and ask for them like you could if you left your credit card.
    In retrospect, doesn’t the thing assume you’re going to be sinking a lot of strong hand shots to the ribs? If you’re a person who routinely sticks a lot of strong hand shots to people’s ribs... There’s nowhere to go, you’re already there.

User Tag List