Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP annouced in 22LR!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Boils down to preference. For whatever reason, I‘ve always found larger .22 pistols, like the mark II-IV, boring to shoot. I cut my teeth plinking in the sticks with model 21s, Taurus PT-22s (great fun until they break), various little walthers, etc. it’s challenging and fun. With the bigger pistols, it’s actually pretty hard to miss a tennis ball or beer can, and there is so little recoil that it’s like watching "the witcher;" fun at first, but uninteresting very shortly thereafter. JMO.
    That and if you're already carrying a full-sized gun, the 22lr is going to be for "fun" and you don't want to be encumbered by another largish gun. Additionally, if you do drop the little Ruger in your pack and never pull it out, you won't feel like you humped the extra weight for nothing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I think the official company stance is the safety is meant to be ignored but can be used if someone feels so inclined.
    I am so inclined. I have a LC9S. The DAO pull is long but it is smooth and very light*. I feel much better off with the safety on, even though they make other variants with no safety. What I have turned to for actual carry is a G43, a tough enough trigger that I am comfortable with it in a pocket holster or IWB holster. The Ruger has become my mailbox, garbage can, and bump in the night gun, something I can drop in bathrobe pocket with short term awareness that I have to punch the safety.

*I ask, why can't you put a trigger like this on a revolver or service automatic?

I have a S&W Plastic M&P Compact .22. It is thus far 100% with Mini-Mags. But even "compact" it is still a bigger gun than the Ruger with more room for the machinery to work.
    (I was amazed at the statement that the little Ruger is a locked breech .22 LR.)
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 12-30-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Why did Ruger take so long to make these? Why was I not bugging them constantly to make them? I'm down for a couple of them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

As an indiscriminate .22 LR fan (I even bought the USFA ZIP Gun!!) who has only found a few .22 firearms that I do not like, I will probably end up with one of these. My daughter has an LCP9, so I can see getting one for her to use for lower cost, diagnostic practice. So right there, two have been sold.

We sure seem to be living in a golden age of rimfire pistols. In the last year or two, we got the Glock 44, Kel-Tec CP33, the Taurus TX-22, and the LCP II. I would add the Kel-Tec P17, but everything I have heard has been negative.

I’m definitely down for one of these.

I just wish it was a proper partially-cocked DAO. Still gonna buy one and realize the trigger would probably have to be hefty but still.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 12-30-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I have a weird fetish for having a pocketable or otherwise unobtrusive rimfire....

So...yeah, I'll be interested in one of these...

Chris
    This is me, minus even the excuse of wanting it for outdoor activities [emoji23]
    I've just always had an itch for a small 22lr but never warmed up to the little Berettas enough to buy one. But since I already have a LCP...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'd be interested too as I don't have a super small .22. But those two reviews are conspicuously absent of targets, I hope POA/POI is close.
    Adam

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That's probably the best reason to buy one although you'd probably have just as much fun with an SR22 or one of the Mk series.
    My prediction: it'll be less fun than the SR22. I do see it as a centerfire LCP understudy.

As far as defensive .22LRs, I don't believe in them myself but know (and value some) people who do, most of them physically unable to deal with more formidable handguns. There is a clowder in this region that has already turned to the SR22 as a defensive (!) pistol, and vetted examples kept clean/fed CCI Mini-Mags seem to run quite reliably. It'll be interesting to see if this new rimfire LCP makes inroads with this bunch.

SR22's already have a deserved reputation for being fun, and I just can't see this .22LR LCP being as popular with mom, dad, the kids (all inclusive), grandma & grandpa, assorted shirt-tail relatives, the neighbor lady, the meme cat who is getting yelled at...
    Heck, even I have fun shooting the SR22, and I was as skeptical about them as anyone who had previously been burned by a Walther P22.

(The fun does come to a temporary screeching-gluteus halt when one prices spare factory SR22 magazines and muses on what they probably cost to produce.)

g n

User Tag List