Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP annouced in 22LR!

Site Supporter
    I have no interest in a draw in an emergency pocket gun with a safety. I draw my 1911 and take off the safety pretty well. I have also drawn and pulled the trigger in matches and dry fire a zillion times. Even then, I see folks and me sometimes forget the safety.

Same old debate, I won't carry a gun without a safety because I might shoot myself. I worry more about being the guy behind the curve.

Also, the unreliability issue of the small 22s for a self-defense gun is troublesome. I ditched a cute Taurus PT-22 for being such a horror. A friends tip up Beretta was the same. My 22 handguns are bigger semis or revolvers and not SD guns. Full disclosure, I had a NAA mini or two for fun and bugs.

Compelling. I’m here to vouch that a simple guy, such as myself, can have a lot of fun in the backwoods with a single tennis ball and a gun like this.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    It is long past time someone offered this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Compelling. I’m here to vouch that a simple guy, such as myself, can have a lot of fun in the backwoods with a single tennis ball and a gun like this.
    That's probably the best reason to buy one although you'd probably have just as much fun with an SR22 or one of the Mk series.

Other than it being as easy lift (same frame as the 380 so probably not expensive to make) I am a bit confused by this little gun. I'm sure it'll sell quite well but, as a dedicated trainer or plinker, I'd think a Security 9/22 or even an SR1911 22 would be a good product.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have a weird fetish for having a pocketable or otherwise unobtrusive rimfire in addition to my "serious" gun while out in the woods for plinking, small game, and otherwise non-serious use. Years ago, this was a Ruger Bearcat, but it wasn't particularly pocketable or convenient to shoot so it went away. I've come close to buying an LCR-22lr for this role, but the price and bulk have put me off for the previously described role. This new LCR, however, is about perfect. Flat, lightweight, inexpensive, it is about perfect. It won't take up much space in a pocket (front, back, cargo, maybe even shirt pocket) and a handful of ammo (or 50cnt box if you're not a heathen like me) will fit in another pocket or maybe even right along with the gun if you have largish pockets.

If it'll run shotshells, it may even be a good kayaking gun (for snakes that take an interest in your presence) that you won't worry about getting wet (or won't weigh you down should you take a dip unexpectedly).

So...yeah, I'll be interested in one of these...

Chris

Site Supporter
    First thing I though of was it's a 21st Century version of the Walther TPH. Had one of those which I intended to carry in my uniform jacket's left pocket as an emergency back up. Problem was I practiced with it. I had misfires with just about every magazine and the slide always left my hand bloody. Sold it and put a Randall Guardian in my boot top instead.

I bet the above comment about Ruger selling a bunch of these is right, even with it's problems.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That's probably the best reason to buy one although you'd probably have just as much fun with an SR22 or one of the Mk series.

Other than it being as easy lift (same frame as the 380 so probably not expensive to make) I am a bit confused by this little gun. I'm sure it'll sell quite well but, as a dedicated trainer or plinker, I'd think a Security 9/22 or even an SR1911 22 would be a good product.

Boils down to preference. For whatever reason, I‘ve always found larger .22 pistols, like the mark II-IV, boring to shoot. I cut my teeth plinking in the sticks with model 21s, Taurus PT-22s (great fun until they break), various little walthers, etc. it’s challenging and fun. With the bigger pistols, it’s actually pretty hard to miss a tennis ball or beer can, and there is so little recoil that it’s like watching "the witcher;" fun at first, but uninteresting very shortly thereafter. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I bet the above comment about Ruger selling a bunch of these is right, even with it's problems.

Dave
    For a general consumer who wants a small firearm that's easy to manipulate and inexpensive to shoot this will be a hit. Those who might not know, care or understand the .22LR is not necessarily a good option for defense. They'll shoot 50-100 rounds through the gun in the entire length of ownership and be completely happy with the gun.

$299 so far. Probably means $269 in a month or two...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851131036

User Tag List