Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP annouced in 22LR!

Fifty-four rounds of CCI Mini-Mag down the pipe, today. I was managing an averag 0.22 second split time for shots to a B-27 X ring at five yards. Unsure about POI as I couldn't settle down with it better than staying on about a sheet of printer paper at 25 yards. Gun was still dirty and no stoppages.

My initial concerns about building automaticity with the safety have also been eroded. Every time I finished a string and came back to low ready, I thought that I should pop the safety back on as I hadn't thought about doing so. When poking at it, the safety was already engaged every time. My support hand thumb sbakes back to tag it just fine. Remains to be seen how smooth it could be right-hand-only. Disengaging the safety does slow my time to first shot from bothe the draw and any ready position but I haven't found myself having to think about it once I got a good thumb index ingrained to start with.

I'll clean it tonight and stop liveblogging round counts u less something noteworthy comes up. Starting to trust the thing and it feels good.

CCI Mini-Mag gave me a couple failures. Both presented high and the nose was pinned against the top edge of the chamber, holding the slide open. I did not note the magazine or magazines in which the stoppages occurred. I'm adding Mini-Mag to the No Fly list with Varmint HE and RWS Rifle Match. CCI SGB and Federal Champion bulk 36 grain copper washed hollowpoints ran fine in all mags so inclined to lay the blame the ammo.

36 Grain Mini Mags gave me issues in my example as well. They caused premature slide-lock-ulation, which isn't fun for anyone.

All 40 grain round nose ammo has run fine for me.

Hammertime
    I finally acquired an example. It seems much better built and designed in general than my Gen 1 LCPs. Really nice fit and finish and machining compared to other Rugers I have owner.

The magazine safety was bugging the hell out of me so that gave me an excuse to tear it apart before even
    shooting it. Given the frequency with which pocket guns puke their magazines while
    in the pocket I just think it is a stupid idea. But this pistol is certainly not a best choice for self defense.

5.5# trigger with a 1/2lb first stage and a nice snap at the end.

This is 100% a single action gun, so as much as I wanted to remove it, I kept the thumb as factory.

Should be fun to test but if I had to carry a .22 I think I would lean toward the 43C.

Hammertime
    Beautiful little gun. 157 rounds split between CCI Minimags and Aguila Superextra. Zero malfunctions.

Name:  E4245F49-C0EA-46A5-8D07-210B014DF010.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  34.7 KB

Hits tip of front sight with both at 25 yards. This was my best but I had a 91 and 87.

I find this gun much easier to shoot than a Beretta 21A Bobcat.

Why oh why didn’t they make it in a version 1 LCP format with a kinda DA trigger and no safety? I would carry that.

As it is: Range/plinking toy. It is delightful to shoot, however.

Hammertime
    Testing LCP 22 150 rounds:

What I noticed: It is extremely unforgiving in faster fire. Crushing the off hand helps.

Two failures to eject fully 1 Aguila, 1 CCI Minimag, 1 light primer hit CCI Minimag, 1 FTFeed, slide open.

I walked away from this session thinking I am wasting my time with this thing. Came home, Rails and barrel still wet with lube. Cleaned chamber, breechface, and under extractor. Will probably give it another go, but will likely just sit in the safe if it can't be reliable.

More likely though it just needs cleaning every 150 rounds. Does anyone have a cleaning schedule that works for malfunction prevention?

I do not have a LCP II .22 but I do have a lot of rimfire pistols. The statement about being wet with lube after ~150 rounds suggests there may be too much lube. For slide/bolt lube on rimfire pistol, I use just an oily rag. Too much lube collects powder/lead/dust debris slowing the reciprocating parts and leading to failures like failure to return to battery. I also prefer low viscosity lubes for rimfires, especially in colder temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Testing LCP 22 150 rounds:

What I noticed: It is extremely unforgiving in faster fire. Crushing the off hand helps.

I walked away from this session thinking I am wasting my time with this thing.
    That was my experience after trying to run mine a couple times and I let a friend try it out and he shot it far more consistently than I.

He fell in love it with it and happily took mine off my hands. I still think it is a charming inexpensive pistol but I didn't think I'd put the time into it vs other pistols.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I do not have a LCP II .22 but I do have a lot of rimfire pistols. The statement about being wet with lube after ~150 rounds suggests there may be too much lube. For slide/bolt lube on rimfire pistol, I use just an oily rag. Too much lube collects powder/lead/dust debris slowing the reciprocating parts and leading to failures like failure to return to battery. I also prefer low viscosity lubes for rimfires, especially in colder temperatures.
    Thanks I am using Slip 2000.

Picked one up tonight, not sure when I’ll make it to the range but excited to run it through the paces and see if it’ll be a good yard work option. I have a 317 and 43C but think the flatness will be more comfortable if it proves reliable.

User Tag List