Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP annouced in 22LR!

I have 2,000+ rounds through mine.
    Two failure to fire. Both rounds were duds.
    Two failures to feed.
    I'm good with that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Testing LCP 22 150 rounds:

What I noticed: It is extremely unforgiving in faster fire. Crushing the off hand helps.

Two failures to eject fully 1 Aguila, 1 CCI Minimag, 1 light primer hit CCI Minimag, 1 FTFeed, slide open.

I walked away from this session thinking I am wasting my time with this thing. Came home, Rails and barrel still wet with lube. Cleaned chamber, breechface, and under extractor. Will probably give it another go, but will likely just sit in the safe if it can't be reliable.

More likely though it just needs cleaning every 150 rounds. Does anyone have a cleaning schedule that works for malfunction prevention?
    Have you tried curled thumbs like revolver and some.Sig shooters rather than thumbs-forward? I've found slide drag to be a big deal with my sample. Installing the Galloway spring kit also made a big and inexpensive difference if you haven't already.

With the ammo shortage, I haven't burned enough to come up with a cleaning schedule. But my existing habit of permanently keeping cleaning rod, bore brushes, Q-tips, and oil in my range bag has proven invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Installing the Galloway spring kit also made a big and inexpensive difference if you haven't already.
    https://gallowayprecision.com/perfor...lcp-ii-pistols

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Ruger LCP .22: 250 rounds. Total count 550 now.

Dot Torture at 5: 48/50 Pretty shocking performance given the size of the gun.

Then mostly mag dumps, doubles, single handed shooting at 5 yds. Tore the center out of a B8 with <10% hitting out of the black.

Experienced the following stoppages:

-One short stroke after first round, did not load second. This particular malfunction was pretty common with the Beretta Bobcat as well. Must be something sticky with that first round.

-One failure to eject

-Two premature slide locking back mid mag which was grip related, I was able to prevent any further with a grip adjustment.

-One failure to lock back on empty mag.

-One stovepipe failure to eject.

You would think that many in 250 rounds would have me hating the gun, but not really. And the last 50 rounds ran flawlessly. I think this pistol likes to be run kind of dry, but kind of clean as suggested by the good folks in this thread.

I am endlessly annoyed that Ruger didn't make this thing, kinda DAO, and without the slide lock like the original LCP. It would be an incredible little carry package if it were. The safety is a complete annoyance. Fairly easy to release, but difficult to put back on using my right hand. The slide lock is nearly useless and can be a nidus for stoppages. I don't carry any spare mags with a pocket gun and don't have a use for it.

Hammertime
    I want to thank whomever advised me to run this gun clean but dry. It is running a lot better. 130 rounds no difficulty today. It is getting really fun to shoot and has not had a stoppage in 180 rounds. Fingers crossed. It is clean, but not particularly wet, just a drop here and there.

I may be amazingly stupid but the safety bugged me so much I just removed it. The sear is the only thing holding the hammer. The sear interface is very strong, the trigger is 6-7lbs, there is a trigger dingus to keep it from pulling on a drop to the rear, and a half cock notch if the sear gives way due to a fall on the nose which is also highly unlikely due to its light weight and a really strong sear spring. Don't do what I do, but I am a lot happier with the safety gone. As a range toy. I am not carrying it and will not this way without a lot more testing.

Name:  C623F9B7-72F4-426B-AC6C-2893C7EC6719.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  36.5 KB
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-20-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Hammertime
    So I have been obsessing over this little thing a while:

FYI

Loaded weights comparison:

NAA Revolver: 8.0oz loaded with 5x40grain
    LCP 22 12.0 Oz loaded with 11x40grain
    LCP 380 12.2oz loaded 7x90grain
    43 C 12.4oz with 8x40gr
    Bobcat 21a 13.9oz loaded with 8x40 grain
    340PD 14.4oz with 5x158g
    LCR .22 15.7oz loaded with 8x40 grain

Weight per round loaded in pocket holster:
    LCP .22 Nemesis 13.1oz/11 1.19oz/round
    S&W 43C in Safariland 25: ~14.2oz/8=1.78oz/round

LCP in Nemesis: 13.8oz/7=1.97 oz/round
    LCR .22 in Mika 18.1oz/8=2.26oz/round

Drop Safety thoughts:

From Ruger's website:

https://ruger.com/products/lcpII/specSheets/13705.html

"Additional safety features include a magazine disconnect; neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension; and hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled."

This is identical to the 380 version which does not feature a manual safety (or mag disconnect). And they have made millions of them. And it agrees with my firsthand observations that it would be near impossible to drop the hammer without pulling the trigger.

https://ruger.com/products/lcpII/specSheets/3750.html

I checked sear engagement with the LCP 22: it is around as much as the striker overlap on a Glock or the engagement on a AR. Eyeballing it here. It is at least 2-3x as much at a B92 SA engagement, and around as much as trigger bar engagement on the B92 DA notch.

The Hammer block is totally independent of sear engagement so not a true half cock. It's a little leg that grabs the hammer in an entirely different place.

After all this I am significantly more confident in the Ruger LCP II and LCP 22 design and may pick up some 380 versions as they have a trigger more similar to my usual carry Glock.

If you are more of a DA guy, the classic LCP has a closer to DA trigger and IMO is easier to shoot well due to that.

Beside the fact that Ruger is litigation averse due to a history of drop fire issues with revolvers that cost them, has a strong engineering reputation. And have made millions of these. I just don't think they would make these drop unsafe.

I have no idea why they engineered the mag safety and manual safety into the .22 version, though. It added significant complexity and parts count to the design. It seems they would not go to the effort without a compelling reason, so that gives me pause.

In short: I think I am fine deleting both the mag disconnect and manual safety. And the pistol is a lot more enjoyable and practical without them. For me.

The LCP 22 is also the lightest, smallest, most efficient from a weight/round perspective of nearly any practical pistol on the market.

@Doc_Glock. Great post. Thank you.

Hammertime
    LCP II .22: 250 more rounds of Aguila 40 grain as fast as I could reload mag. Fast, easy to shoot, accurate, and totally reliable for the last 500 rounds. There is a lot to like with this pistol. Glad I stuck with it and the light lube suggestion is solid gold.

Name:  F7EFFF9A-1F20-4DE9-A8D1-5FBF171F5E8F.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  63.3 KB

Yup. They are great little pistols.
    I love mine.

Mine is at the FFL waiting.

Plan to wring it out Monday.

User Tag List