Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP annouced in 22LR!

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post

Not trading in the Bobcat like some of you, though. Still love that little thing even if it only runs Stingers reliably.
    I shoot the LCP so much better than the Bobcat as well. Liked the Bobcat, but could never get it to run reliably. For that matter, LCPs have also been less than reliable for me, but at least they can go a couple hundred rounds without cleaning if they don't disassemble themselves.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    If you've shot/handled the 380 version and don't have any real issues working its trigger you (or the mrs) should be good to go.
    (Smacking self on forehead and blurting out, "D'oh!")

The LCP in .380 was not particularly cat-friendly, though not impossible to use. Looks like we'll stick with the SR22.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But jeezalmighty its a tough gun to make hits with. The trigger is not bad IMO. Just breaks late/deep and with it being so tiny, that didn't help.
    Trigger is the same as the 380. Recoil is not.

If you've shot/handled the 380 version and don't have any real issues working its trigger you (or the mrs) should be good to go.
    It's probably me. I grew up rolling K frame DA triggers in gigantic dry fire volume and pretty fair live fire. It's probably my grip managing 11 oz so small. I expected it to be a bit of challenge. I underestimated the challenge. But it's cheap to get into and cheap to shoot so I'll see what I can do. Might sharpen up my fundamentals.
    The trigger is really not bad IMO. In fact nice and light enough it made me think it would be no sweateedaa sticking hits into the upper A zone at closer ranges. It mocked me badly.
    I found I could make hits with my LCP Custom only if I gripped the heck out of it like Homer strangling Bart. It would then put bullets where I wanted them to go, more or less, but it still moved enough to injure my fingers. I couldn't grip it hard enough to keep it from doing that due to the small size. I'm thinking it will be worth trying this to see if results differ. Should also prove a little more durable in .22LR.

I did find that going through it and deburring some stamped sheet metal parts, in particular the trigger bar, and a little judicious smoothing here and there on other stuff, made a yuuuge difference. The trigger bar stamping burr goes around pretty much the whole perimeter on the side facing the aluminum frame, and it can be truly schnarly. There was a video on YT showing how to strip one where the bar had ground an outline of itself into the frame during use. I don't believe the designers ever intended that.

It's rarely discussed, but the hammer spring on the LCP, being hooked around a pin at each end and touching nothing in between, has the same fundamental lack of friction as an S&W K, L or N frame. So there's inherent potential for goodness. Mine became quite smooth and reasonably light. Also, when I realized the barrel and slide were mismachined, it went back to Ruger. They replaced the entire top end without touching anything I'd worked on.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My LCP1.2 has been quite reliable. It has 13# Wolff recoil springs, a Tandemkross anti-walk takedown pin, and Talon grips (these help a lot in gripping). Mouseguns are hard to shoot. As @OlongJohnson says, gripping the fuck out of it is the way to go. I've been able to shoot GW Dark Pin level with it. But my hands get much more tired than with a full-sized gun.

I won't be buying a .22 version because if I'm going to practice with a LCP, it might as well be with the one I occasionally actually carry.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

...The trigger is really not bad IMO. In fact nice and light enough it made me think it would be no sweateedaa sticking hits into the upper A zone at closer ranges. It mocked me badly.
    I'm used to, and really like, the LCP trigger in either a first or second generation. The 22 caliber LCP II will be a new trigger to me when I finally pick one up. So thanks for sticking it in my mind to work up a range plan rather than just wing it. Already made up a target despite being a couple months out. Traced some stuff on a large piece of cardstock:

4x 4" circles to run the N.R.A. Basic of Pistol Shooting course at Red, White, and Blue levels. (60 rounds, 12 safety actuations, 12 safety deactivations, 5 tactical reloads with retention from an initial loading of 10+1.)

1x 8" circle with a N.R.A. printed in tiny black letters to ape the optional instructor test at the end of BoPS. (20 rounds, at least two safety actuations, at least one safety deactivation, one emergency reload from empty.)

1 x ~5" circle* with center dot to run the Werner-Hayes 5^5 minus POI confirmation group. (20 rounds, one presentation from low ready, one presentation from high compressed ready, one draw starting hand on the gun, one draw from a fence position, five safety actuations, four safety deactivations, two speed reloads when down to the round in the chamber having started at 10+1, and a shift from stacking bullets to timed shooting.)

1x 3"x5" rectangle in portrait orientation for a walkback drill. (Start at 10 yards as BoPS pretty well covered 3-7. Will present from ready, take a shot, re-safe, scoot back a few yards if I get a hit, and repeat until I get a miss and mark the range of last hit as a point for improvement. However many more rounds fired, more use of the safety, more presentations from ready, add safely moving with the gun out, and a shift back to a test of accuracy.)

Tape my miss then use my remaining ammo to work failures to stop and non-standard responses of 2-5 shots per burst using the 8" circle for a center-of-mass and alternating 4" and 3x5 zones for the headshots. Probably at four to ten yards. (Rest of the 150 rounds of whatever load I'm testing that will be brought along, more safety use, target transitions, varying targets to do a Cunningham-esque balance of speed and precision session, and a shift back to timed work with varied accuracy standards defined by targets in the moment.)

150 rounds fired, a bunch of familiarization, thorough howdy-do with a new-to-me safety style, should pretty well know POA/POI by end, chance to mostly break in the gun and mags, four different target sizes in two different shapes, strings of fire from 1-20 rounds, ranges from 10' to 45'+, and staged into to pocket holster work with a SAO versus my usual DAO. Second trip will probably open with a Wizard Drill, move on to strong-hand-only, Pistol-Forum's own Drill of the Week #27 on Dave Spaulding's printable high center chest target to crank speed and get another target size, and end with a police qualification just to have a test at the end for comparison to other stuff. Probably OPOTA (but on a QIT-99 with 4" circular headbox and 6" circle in the body) as it only requires 25 rounds, times a reload, requires support-hand-only shooting, is quick to administer, goes out to 50 feet, and I have target photos saved running it with other mouseguns of quality from Grendel to Glock. Third trip will open with the awesome Pocket Gun Test from our own backtrail540 (which will be real tough with the 10+1 capacity) then loose my family/friends on the thing and do some duelling tree and plate array out to 50 yards. After that, just plinking and working points for improvement shown in the first three range trips.

* Traced a Doctor Who DVD.

Site Supporter
    $299 so far. Probably means $269 in a month or two...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/851131036
    Still $325 at my LGS last week. Cute, but only one magazine still. At $325 with two or three mags, I’d probably be an owner. Only one, I hesitated. Rather spend $50 more buying a G44 which at least comes with 2 mags than buying a pair of spares for this one. The slide manipulated quite nicely, the trigger was acceptable, the safety worked for me.
    Last edited by Duelist; 02-24-2020 at 07:59 AM.

A touch shy of $320 at my favorite shop. Have one on layaway and hope to scrounge up a couple spare mags before taking possession.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The LCP in .32 would be a very balanced little package.
    I have wanted a conversion barrel for an LCP for years. .32 acp with warm loaded flat point ball would make for a much more controllable little emergency pocket gun. My original LCP squirmed on me so badly that I installed one of the Houge grips on it and then shaved that down to reduce the bulk. I never could see the front sight so I had a local gunsmith install a big brass bead on it. It isn't pleasant, but with factory ammo it was a reliable little beast.

I am really intrigued by this new 22 LR option and could see myself picking up a couple of them. Cheapest I have seen one down here was on the shelf for $309. Once I all my retro revolvers off layawake I am going to have to pick one up.
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 05-04-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    My father's Phoenix had the ~4" and stubby barrels. Bit like a Dan Wesson, can swap them out. But the zinc slide split with no warning after however many years in his hands and rounds downrange. I hated the absolutely insane administrative handling due to the way the internal and external safeties worked but he loved it and could make reliable on-demand hits on his favorite target of a coffee can out to fifty yards with seeming ease.
    I have been shooting my for over a decade. I have only know the zinc sides to split when shooting HYper velocity ammo. I only shoot standard. The safeties are a easy fix, many you tubes showing how to do this. By the way, the Phoenix has a lifetime warranty. Send it back and they will send you a new one. Very great CS reported all the time.

Ps a Few friends of mine from my club went shooting over the weekend to a friends farm as the local ranges were closed. We all brought our 22.cals. I brought my Phoenix. At the end about three of the guy came home and tried to order one, myself included. They seem to be sold out every where.

User Tag List