Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR9 build: Colt/Uzi or Glock mag

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Pr...k_p_10292.html

These reportedly aren’t as crappy as most promag stuff. No personal experience but a few folks I know run them with no complaints. The Hahn ones are the pinnacle of quality but also cost 3x as much. I have a buddy that runs a Hahn with his M16 and it’s absolutely perfect.

For glock mag host, I’ve taken a step on the oddball side and pre-ordered a recover tactical brace thingy to use with a G19 with a red dot. It’s presently inbound from Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    For a Colt mag setup which is the smarter play for a budget build, removable conversion block, fixed conversion block or dedicated lower? If a dedicated lower is the better plan, complete PSA or stripped CMMG?
    I have a CMMG that I bought as a complete lower. Came upon it during a prior frenzy and it was laying in the case because PCC wasn't cool yet. I had to "tune" (bend...) the ejector but since it has just rocked.

One consideration is last round bolt hold open. If you buy one of the inserts that does you have spent half what a lower cost (not checked current prices).

Also, the Brownells mags have been great and they are very nice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I am fully dedicated to 9mm Glock so I bought a Stern Defense adapter and it functions 100% with OEM mags. Magpul mags don't always seat well and my early ETS mags not at all. My main issue is that the inner workings of the adapter sorta get in the way of quick/imperfect mag changes. If you try and slam a mag home not perfectly lined up it can catch on something. Relatively minor for a fun gun but makes me sad when the adapter is so beautifully made.

After a year I switched to a Hahn Colt mag adapter which also works great and I can slam mags at odd angles all day long. I already had a Colt Sporter 9mm and lots of mags so it was an easy choice. As an 80's kid the mags look cooler too!

I also have a QC10 dedicated Glock lower on a carbine that works just fine other than the spotty LRBHO.

Hope this helps!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I owned a factory Colt 9mm AR that I sold many years ago, and I still have a “factory” Anvil Arms SBR lower with a mag block for Colt mags that I’ve had for at least 10-15 years from a time when things were different.

If I were starting from scratch today, and assuming I was already a Glock shooter (I am), and particularly if my handguns were almost strictly Glocks (mine are), I would look for one of the dedicated lowers that takes Glock mags without any sort of block.

I can’t speak to the quality/reliability of these things, but I would prefer not to have to buy a whole new slew of mags, pouches, etc. I already have Colt mags coming out of my ears so I’m not starting over fresh today.

One example I am aware of with non-blocked Glock maxwells...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...lower-blk.html

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have a CMMG that I bought as a complete lower.
    I should also mention that I like mine, but several friends have 9mm PSA stuff and it seems fine for your use.

Were you talking Pistol/PDW or carbine?

Site Supporter
    FWIW, and just as a single data point, I have a fairly recent production Colt-style CMMG that runs reliably with every magazine brand I’ve tested, including ASC, Brownells, Mecgar, Promag, and C-products. Genuine Colt mags are out of my price range, although AFAIK they’re rebranded Mecgars. I’m inherently suspicious of both Pro-mag and C-products, but they both run fine in my gun. IIRC, the springs on the C-product mags seemed to be a little weaker than the other brands, so I’d rank them at the bottom of the pack. That’s really the only deficiency I can find in any of them. ASC’s can be had from Primary Arms for about $15 each, which I think is a great deal, and negated any cost advantage of Glock magazines for me.

I really wanted AR-style manual of arms, to get carbine reps in when I couldn’t shoot 5.56, so that ruled out many of the Glock mag options. I also felt like using a dedicated lower might help eliminate potential variability in the mag block location. If I was less concerned with the manual of arms, I’d have looked a lot harder at dedicated Glock lowers, but so far I’m really happy with the CMMG gun. Sample size of one, so take it for what it’s worth.

Limited round count through it, but knowing the people behind Lone Star Armory and the work they did and what the guns did before they released them made their Glock mag PCC/PCP an easy choice.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Were you talking Pistol/PDW or carbine?
    Pistol/PDW. I've already got a QC10 10.5" barrel mocked up with a 10" (IIRC) rail and a Stern Defense bolt. Right now I'm giving serious thought to a Colt mag conversion so I can use the Endos or Colt-style mags but that's entirely subject to change on what I've talked myself into when I'm done rolling pennies.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Pistol/PDW.
    As long as you are not talking SBR you could dabble with both.

I would lean Colt since you do not have Glock pistols, but one drawback is good Colt style mags that are not 32rnd, rather long for the PDW idea. 21rnd Magpuls might be good for the AR and Ruger.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hahn Precision dedicated block is what I would and have used. I'm on my third conversion this way, uses the superior stock AR15 bolt catch. It's not complex, if you can remove a bolt catch on an AR15, you can install and remove the block in as long as it takes you to remove the catch and reinstall it.

Paired with Hahn's sub-caliber heavy buffer, I've literally never had a problem feeding my guns from steel-bodied Colt-mags; Metalforms, ASCs, or C-Products all work fine. Sometimes the C-Products or ASCs stick a little on insertion, but usually just need some of the finish removed from the mags (whatever they use is a thick bake-on thing). Feed, function, lock-back, and drop-free all work, 10s, 20s, and 32s all work.

Guns feed all normal weights of ball and JHPs in normal weights, no problem.

My most recent one is New Frontier Lower, Rock River Upper, Hahn Dedicated Block and Sub-Caliber Buffer, CMMG trigger is currently sitting next to the bed loaded with 30-rounds of 115-grain +P XTPs.

Name:  C1248276-4BF5-4849-BB63-7016910F941C.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  34.1 KB

User Tag List