Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR9 build: Colt/Uzi or Glock mag

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I thought about a dedicated Glock mag lower but one of the things I'm considering is SBRing one lower and running 9mm or 5.56 as the mood hits. A dedicated pistol mag lower makes that difficult.
    But then you have a lower with two uppers, and it's not a lot more money to just get a second lower and SBR it to have two complete guns.

I thought about a dedicated Glock mag lower but one of the things I'm considering is SBRing one lower and running 9mm or 5.56 as the mood hits. A dedicated pistol mag lower makes that difficult.
    I have a Glock mag pistol lower and a 5.56 SBR... mean arms let’s me run the 9mm pistol upper on the SBR lower. All is sweetness and light. If I did it again, I’d go colt mag pistol lower. The insertion angle of the Glock mags just feels odd to me. A small quibble, but a quibble none the less.

You could also get a stern defense magblock to use Glock mags in the 5.56 lower... mean arms endo mags really are the easy button solution.
    Last edited by jandbj; 01-02-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Having the privilege of owning a transferable UZI, I've come to heavily respect and trust the reliability of the UZI magazine. I believe Colt was very smart to adapt the UZI mag for their 9mm AR's, and I'd do the same were I building a 9mm AR.
    The only possible exception would be the New Frontier 9mm lowers that take MP5 magazines, but the HK mags are a tad spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Having the privilege of owning a transferable UZI, I've come to heavily respect and trust the reliability of the UZI magazine. I believe Colt was very smart to adapt the UZI mag for their 9mm AR's
    I had forgotten that was the origins of the magazine. I think I am going to start referring to mine as "Uzi Style" instead of "Colt Style"

When I get another AR pistol, which will be 9mm, it will take Glock magazines. Main reason is we are switching to a 9mm Glock duty gun.

I don’t have any direct experience with a Colt 9mm magazine setup, but I do with a Macon Armory .45 magazine. I tend to run ambidextrous magazine releases out of all of my ARs... and had to swap a standard one into it after switching magazines (I put one in after ordering the new magazines, as my old setup used H&K USC magazines). Ambidextrous magazine release wouldn’t securely catch the magazine, as the adapter reduces the amount of the release tab that catches the magazine. Really sucks as removing the magazine with my left hand really was comfortable... and I do it with my 5.56mm magazines.

Might be a moot point, as I would be stuck changing the controls with a Glock magazine, but just something to consider if you are looking for control similarities. I have heard mixed reviews on Colt magazine reliability... Glock magazines are Glock magazines (everything but 10s are good to go). Aftermarket Glock magazines... depends on which brand.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I had forgotten that was the origins of the magazine. I think I am going to start referring to mine as "Uzi Style" instead of "Colt Style"
    Well, it's the origins, but there are differences. Colt-style mags have a tab at the back of the follower which activates the bolt hold-open, and the mag bodies themselves are shaped slightly differently on the rear to accomodate that tab. Also, the mag catch slot is in a different place. You can cut an additional mag catch slot in Uzi mags and get them to work in 9mm ARs, but you'll still be missing out on the bolt hold-open.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 01-03-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Digging around for inspiration reminded me of the DOE SMGs.

Name:  DOE Colt SMG.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  22.2 KB

.300BLK built in the DOE style
    Name:  .300BLK DOE inspired.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  43.4 KB

Either would make a nice pistol package...
    Last edited by awp_101; 01-03-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The big PDW thread has me thinking on this project again. For a Colt mag setup which is the smarter play for a budget build, removable conversion block, fixed conversion block or dedicated lower? If a dedicated lower is the better plan, complete PSA or stripped CMMG?

Remember, this is a budget build for funsies not something to drive the ISIS 5th BDE (Dismounted) off my lawn.
    Last edited by awp_101; 04-01-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The big PDW thread has me thinking on this project again. For a Colt mag setup which is the smarter play for a budget build, removable conversion block, fixed conversion block or dedicated lower? If a dedicated lower is the better plan, complete PSA or stripped CMMG?

Remember, this is a budget build for funnies not something to drive the ISIS 5th BDE (Dismounted) off my lawn.
    5.56 Lower you already own with endomags. I sold my Glock mag pistol lower and just use a Colt A1 upper chopped to 10ish” and threaded 1/2x28 on my SBR lower. Great with and without a can. No funky insertion angle for mags. I got 3 of the endomag inserts and run them in odd colored pmags. Works well enough for my range toy usage.
    Last edited by jandbj; 04-01-2020 at 08:36 PM.

I've already got 2 Endomag kits and 2 new PMags to convert, just haven't done it yet. It looks like I'm about to get out of the Glock game altogether except for my Ruger PCC so I'm looking harder at the Colt mag options to go along with the Endomags.

User Tag List