Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple people shot at White Settlement, Texas church

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    That is so sad. You can see the guy trying to come to grips with what’s going on at first, then drawing *really* slowly (ability, not intent).

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The guy who attempts to respond has the gun way back and looks like he has to clear a jacket and a covering shirt - that isn't fast.

Ever read on the interwebs that a fast draw has not been proven to be that important? I hope we all remember this video next time we hear that.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I am hearing that the Gentleman that stopped the shooter today is named Jack Wilson(Pictured).

I am also hearing that it took LE/EMT's 11 minutes to respond. That could have been 11 minutes of carnage if no one was armed. Morale of the story. Stay strapped or get clapped...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Ever read on the interwebs that a fast draw has not been proven to be that important? I hope we all remember this video next time we hear that.
    Same with reloads. It only has to matter once.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I was counting pews and looking at the angle, my guess is about 12 yards.
    this church broadcasts on YouTube and has multiple camera angles from previous services in their archives.
    Might get a better estimate from a different viewing angle.
    I counted the pews as well, figuring +/- 3ft/pew...about 36 feet as a very rough guesstimate allowing for angle across 3 sections. So, yeah, 12 yards +/- works for me.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Untrained and semi-trained people have terrible gun handling skills.
    Watch any of hundreds of LE, Mil and civilian shooting videos on the Internet and you'll see that everybody gets muzzled and it's a miracle there aren't more ND's.
    Rarely does someone exhibit solid gun handling, and if they do you're not surprised because the video already showed them taking care of business in a solid way as well.
    Darryl said something to this effect in a P&S modcast very recently "People need to work on their administrative gun handling skills but they don't because it's not sexy". I started working at a range not too long ago and I now get a really good glimpse of just how sloppy and careless some people can be. I often want to ask people how do they expect to be able to control their muzzle in these types of situations under stress when they have difficulty following four basic safety rules on a flat range. I don't because I don't want to come off as confrontational but a lot of people really need this kind of talk. Just like getting negative reps live and dryfire, you can get negative reps with safety.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What is or is not reasonable distance is depending on context just like every other lawfully justified shooting. Carbine or pistol or just tools. Just because X distance is a stretch for you does not make it unreasonable for someone with the requisite skill.
    I rarely see people impartially analyze their daily routines and train accordingly. If ones occupation means routinely visiting 200 person lecture halls, a Bersa .380 is probably not a beneficial carry gun. We should note the intervening shooter had a firearm which properly functioned with quality ammo - two things many ignore when they walk out the house with a .380 chambered Condition Three.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Buzzfeed says responding shooters were part of the church's volunteer security team

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...?ref=bfnsplash
    Not the headline, but pretty close.

Very sad about the big man who was drawing when the bad guy shot him. He died a hero who bought time for the older gentleman in back to finish the fight. Kudos to the older gentleman for stopping the threat, from a Weaver stance no less.
    Last edited by AlwaysLearning; 12-30-2019 at 03:53 AM.

The information is out about the hero who shot the shooter: https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/jack-wilson/

According to the information, the member of the church security team who shot the shooter was Jack Wilson, who was formerly a reserve deputy sheriff, , a long time firearms instructor who previously owned a shooting range and gun store that burned down in 2016. The firearm he used to shoot the church killer was a Sig P229 in .357 Sig. He is currently running for county commissioner in Hood County.
    Last edited by Ed L; 12-30-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    The information is out about the hero who shot the shooter: https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/jack-wilson/

According to the information, the member of the church security team who shot the shooter was Jack Wilson, who was formerly a reserve deputy sheriff, , a long time firearms instructor who previously owned a shooting range and gun store that burned down in 2016. The firearm he used to shoot the church killer was a Sig P229 in .357 Sig. He is currently running for county commissioner in Hood County.
    I’ll bet he wins in a landslide now.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Anyone got a working link for the video?
    #RESIST

User Tag List