Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiple people shot at White Settlement, Texas church

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Honest question: Does this transfer to non-LE shootings? I can document training in recognizing pre-assault indicators, but would it be deemed relevant as a non-LEO? Logically it should, but we're talking law, not logic.
    Legally, documenting the training should make your articulation of those factors you observed during an incident relevant because the factors are documented as being known to you prior to the incident. Legally, Reasonableness judgements are made based on what was known to you at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

Their narrative holds that guns for uniformed or designated personnel are acceptable. Since the citizen was part of Church security and the casualties were single digits it’s unlikely to provoke further action.
    Looks like CNN is starting to make that point:
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/30/us/te...day/index.html

cc

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Looks like CNN is starting to make that point:
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/30/us/te...day/index.html

cc
    In line with my prior comments about “sooner, not faster”

In an interview with CNN affiliate KTVT, Wilson said that he had "eyes" on the suspect from the time he walked into the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    There’s a good chance a shotgun blast inside is going to f up my reaction time a little.

Last month me and a buddy were returning to a trail head after a long hike and some jackass let off a round of .30-06 (not in our direction) in the parking lot when we were about 30 yards away and couldn’t see him. We’d been hearing sporadic rifle fire for about 20 minutes, but the proximity of that shot basically physically paralyzed me for a brief instant while my brain registerd that I didn’t hear the crack of a bullet and wasn’t actually being shot at.
    Another salient lesson is mental expectations.

Churches aren’t places we’d expect gunfire. Most churchgoers attend since childhood, and naturally consider a church sanctuary to be just that. The realization of “holy shit .....that’s a shotgun IN SUNDAY SERVICE” is a shocking mental picture.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    The CNN story linked above is the second place I seen mention of TWO security members shooting the attacker.
    In watching the video a few times, I don’t see any indication of another responder shooting.

Anyone seeing something that I don’t?

The church my wife attends (and is an armed volunteer at) has a policy of having one or two designated ushers "enthusiastically greet" new walk-ins to service (especially out of place ones).
    They will also assist them in finding a seat. Which if the size up warrants it is conveniently located where one or both ushers are in an advantageous position, and is known as "the seat to watch" by all the volunteers.
    It's not enough to just keep eyes on someone, talking with them and looking them over in a casual, welcoming conversation goes a long ways in assessing threat potential.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Looks like reporters managed to corner Mr. Wilson at some point today, this video just surfaced. I'm impressed how aware he's expressing he was of his target's foreground and background.

Sorry no imbed
    https://streamable.com/0mjrs
    Last edited by SsevenN; 12-30-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    I'm impressed how aware he's expressing he was of his target's foreground and background.
    I'm pretty cognizant of it in our sanctuary and it would be incredibly difficult be positioned in a seat where you could witness a potential threat enter via the main doors and engage that threat without having to move to create a sufficient angle to reduce bystanders behind the target.

Joe Biden weighing in, and giving us the benefit of his wisdom on the matter.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/12/30...ssacre-sunday/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My take away was that movement draws attention. A very slow draw, attracted the attention of the shooter.
    @SouthNarc has a very good presentation/discussion about "earning your draw". He's one of several people I would be very interesting in listening to, regarding this incident.

User Tag List