Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 5.7x28 Pistol?

Ruger 5.7x28 Pistol?

Recoil had a tweet about this with the image https://imgur.com/a/PhfyPil, but the interesting thing to me is Ruger has received a trademark for "Ruger-57" per https://trademark.trademarkia.com/ruger57-88654610.html

I can't imagen a huge market for another 5.7 pistol.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I can't imagen a huge market for another 5.7 pistol.
    If they can sell it for half the price of the FN it will make money. Not to be a dick, but I think the market for that caliber is the same as the low information/ lower expendable income Taurus judge market.

I love my "centerfire .22mag" 5.7s.

The pistol makes for a great "backpack survival gun", high capacity (20+1), lightweight, accurate, reliable, durable, won't destroy small game but can still be pressed into self defense duty against light skinned predators.
    A 20+1 loaded pistol and 100 rounds of spare ammo weighs less and takes up less pack space than a Glock 17 and 50 rounds of 9mm.
    I hope that Ruger sells a million of them so the ammo prices will drop and options will expand.

The P90 is probably the most user friendly home defense carbine ever made.
    In 5 minutes I can have everyone from a 10 year old girl to an arthritic Grandma smoking a plate rack or hosing down targets with pie plate sized groups and smiling the whole time.
    Red dot sight with 5+ year battery life and 50 round magazines means the only "manipulations" I have to teach them are dot on target, rotate the safety off, press the trigger until the bad guy goes away.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-29-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Oddball cartridge + striker fired with manual safety = hard pass

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I love my "centerfire .22mag" 5.7s.

The pistol makes for a great "backpack survival gun".....won't destroy small game but can still be pressed into self defense duty against light skinned predators.
    From the data I’ve seen, the 5.7 x 28mm in commercially available civilian loadings is ineffective for self defense. Considering the cartridge (and its HK equivalent) were designed for military use during the Cold War this is no surprise.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

If it jump starts the 5.7mm ammo market, I’d consider it... and of course, price being right.

I did like the FN, but for the price of the gun and ammo, it wasn’t worth it. Nor did I want to go KelTec and .22 Magnum.

If Ruger did the same gun in .22 Magnum, I’d say you might see more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    From the data I’ve seen, the 5.7 x 28mm in commercially available civilian loadings is ineffective for self defense. Considering the cartridge (and its HK equivalent) were designed for military use during the Cold War this is no surprise.
    Fort Hood... 13 killed, 30 injured by the absolute worst ammo option (blue tip). Perpetrator survived after getting shot with a 9mm.

Is it my first or even my fifth or sixth choice as a self defense primary? No.
    It is the best .22 mag made, and does everything a .22 mag can do but better and with centerfire reliability.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    For bumming around in the desert, this seems like a pretty neat option. I have shot a friend's FN and it a very flat shooting and fun. I have always wanted one, but would never cough up a grand for one. If the Ruger comes in substantially less, then I might consider it. They might even pair it with a 5.7 version of the PC Carbine....using the same mags of course.

Ruger will try anything once. Got to keep the competition on their toes.

Reloadable 22 cartridge? Now let me think about that for a few minutes.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-29-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List