Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackrabbit Safari (no rabbits) but took some pics!

Jackrabbit Safari (no rabbits) but took some pics!

So last night was our turn to host the feral gang of little girls in the neighborhood who roam free and run around screaming their heads off, and jabbering at a level that you would think they were trying to talk over the sounds of fighter jets taking off, but nope, it is just their normal level. For a quiet person like myself, it is like someone hitting my head with a hammer over and over..

By this morning I was ready eat a Glocksickle..

The shrieking started before 7am.

I did not even say a word to anyone. I went and grabbed a backpack, a couple of guns, and said fuggit, I am out!

The weather was crappy, blowing, and a mix of wind and rain. Pretty much about the most miserable weather you would want to go outdoors in.

It sounded outstanding as compared to being inside my house! So I drove deep into the high desert, to a little honey hole that normally is good for some winter time Jacks when the weather is super cold. The weather was not really cold, temps wise, but the wind had a pretty nasty bite to it, so I was hoping maybe a few big Jacks might be out and I could chase them around for a while and get some exercise.

I brought along my little .45 Flattop, and a Colt AR in case a big desert dog decided to show it's face.

While tromping through some high, old growth sage I ran into some snares that someone had set a while back.

I was surprised to see signs that anyone had passed this way, as it is not a well traveled area.

Out came the .45

I saw a fair bit of sign, but it was a few hours old, most likely in the pre-dawn hours, but I broke out the .45 and started working my way through the deep under brush in hopes of jump shooting some jacks. When the weather gets cold, this can be some fun action.

Found a somewhat recent badger hole.

No fresh tracks around the badger hole in the last 24 hours though.

The jacks have been feeding on the underbrush pretty heavy, as it is obvious they know a storm is coming.

And I thought that my neighborhood was the only one beset by roving packs of yard apes, howling at the top of their lungs.

I hope you were successful in your rabbit hunt.

I explored around a little spring I know. There were no shortage of tracks. Mink or Martin (I am not sure which) tracks, coyote, deer, etc. Lots of animals in the area have been using the spring, but nothing wanted to show their faces today.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And I thought that my neighborhood was the only one beset by roving packs of yard apes, howling at the top of their lungs.

I hope you were successful in your rabbit hunt.
    My only success was not losing what is left of my sanity, which for me was plenty good enough!

And one day you'll marry them off . . . and miss them sooo much.

I did hear some Song Dogs talking so I walked about 1/2 mile up to a ridge. Normally in the mid day they don't talk, so I was a bit surprised, plus in the wind it is hard to hear them unless they are fairly close.

I did not bring any calls, so I mouth yipped a couple challenge barks just to see if I would get a response, and very much to my surprise, I did get a single response.

I think the fact that the wind was blowing must have helped

I did not dare make any more barks or yips as getting a response was pretty lucky. I snuck up over to a ridge that overlooks a basin to see if I could catch a 'yote in the open, but no luck.

You shooting some lighter bullets out of that Ruger SA? I notice the rear sight is cranked up a bit—sort of like my .44 special with 200 grainers.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Somewhere out there in the wind and the snow, the Jacks taunt me and the coyotes watch safely from a distance!

My feet and fingers were numb, but there were no little girls trying to outdo each other with their ear splitting screams.

It was just me and my Tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You shooting some lighter bullets out of that Ruger SA? I notice the rear sight is cranked up a bit—sort of like my .44 special with 200 grainers.
    Yep,

I was playing with some 185s SWCs. I actually need to reconfirm zero with it again, and get it set for 200 grain SWCs. It is a really fun, comfortable shooter with the 185 and 200 grain SWCs pushed by Clays.

User Tag List