Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smith 340 PD

Smith 340 PD

I've carried a Smith 642 J frame as a backup for the majority of a LE career. About 2 years ago, I switched to a Kahr P380 due to my ability to shoot it considerably better at distance. My confidence in the P380 ended this week when I started to have stovepipe malfunctions with ball ammo. I'm back to the J's, but I've gotten used to the 10 ounce P380.

I'm thinking about a Smith 340 PD. For those that have a 340 PD, how bad is the recoil of the Speer Gold Dot 135 +P's compared to the 442/642's? That's my issued duty round. Has anyone had their bullets jump their crimps with .38 ammo?

My plan is to practice with my 642 and carry the 340 PD.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Pasanova; 12-28-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasanova View Post
    I've carried a Smith 642 J frame as a backup for the majority of a LE career. About 2 years ago, I switched to a Kahr P380 due to my ability to shoot it considerably better at distance. My confidence in the P380 ended this week when I started to have stovepipe malfunctions with ball ammo. I'm back to the J's, but I've gotten used to the 10 ounce P380.

I'm thinking about a Smith 340 PD. For those that have a 340 PD, how bad is the recoil of the Speer Gold Dot 135 +P's compared to the 442/642's? That's my issued duty round. Has anyone had their bullets jump their crimps with .38 ammo?

My plan is to practice with my 642 and carry the 340 PD.

Thanks.
    I have both.
    Can't tell you about the +P 135 Gold Dot recoil specifically but comparing my 442 and 340PD back to back with Federal +P 130 HST's the PD has noticeable but not significantly more felt recoil.
    Basically I put the 442 down after 20 rounds of +P and I put the PD down after 15 because there's just not much to be gained and a lot to be lost shooting many more than that in one stretch IMO.
    With target wadcutters both breeze through 150 round range sessions without breaking a sweat.
    I've never had a .38 of any kind jump crimp, from ultra lightweight all copper to super heavy lead wadcutters and everything in between.
    I have had a .357 jump crimp in my 360Sc after 2 rounds, but I wasn't going to shoot the last 3 anyway (it was some nuclear Federal hunting load).

Definitely buy the "no lock" PD.
    I did have my 360Sc lock on its own under recoil.
    I either buy "no lock" or gut and plug all my revolvers after that, especially the ultra light, snappier recoiling ones.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-28-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thanks Jody H. You have sold me on one.

When I shoot +P's in my 340PD it's usually the 5 HST's in the cylinder then the 5 Critical Duty's I have in my "Speed Strip".
    The rest of that range session is spent with wadcutters.
    That makes for an overall pleasant and productive day.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Do the 340s seem to exhibit better QC than the 442/642s?

They are significantly more expensive and built with higher grade materials so one would think but I’m leery given the numerous documented QC issues lately. I gave up a 340CT to fund an HD pistol setup and I’d like another but I’m somewhat inclined to get a .38 LCR and forget about it
    Last edited by parishioner; 12-29-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Do the 340s seem to exhibit better QC than the 442/642s?

They are significantly more expensive and built with higher grade materials so one would think but I’m leery given the numerous documented QC issues lately. I gave up a 340CT to fund an HD pistol setup and I’d like another but I’m somewhat inclined to get a .38 LCR and forget about it
    I've purchased a 340M&P and a 340PD in the past year, neither have any issues whatsoever.

I have a 9mm LCR, the weak trigger return and "false" trigger reset make it a hard "no go" for me it was super easy to "short stroke" and skip cylinders.
    Definitely dry fire one before buying one.
    I also had to file down the front sight a LOT to make it hit even close to POA/POI. It was like 10" low at 10Y with every round I tried.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-29-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've purchased a 340M&P and a 340PD in the past year, neither have any issues whatsoever.
    Which do you prefer between the two?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Not Jody but I have a 340 M&P and a 360PD.

Carry wise, the PD is much better in dress pants pockets, or an IWB holster with athletic shorts. The few ounces less are noticeable in these cases. In jeans, Duluth / Carhartts or a winter coat pocket, not much difference.

Shooting them, the big dot sight on the M&P picks up quicker for me. Recoil is slightly more with the lighter gun but haven’t run them both on a timer to see if it’s significant.

The internet answer is get both, but if only one I’d have a PD.
    Last edited by Norville; 12-29-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Since J's are primarily pocket guns for me I prefer the PD, the weight difference is very noticeable by the end of a 16 hour day.
    I added a Clip Draw to my M&P and use it as my "board shorts and flip flops" gun for those times I don't have pockets or belt loops.
    I had to carve out a half moon in my VZ grips to make room for the clip, but a Dremel and sandpaper made short work of that.
    I've also found that the red ramp front sight on the no lock PD is more visible under more conditions than the Big Dot on the M&P.

442, lock gutted and plugged, hot pink painted front sight.
    360Sc, lock gutted and plugged, hammer bobbed (this one is probably nearly 20 years old and looks like hell but still shoots great).
    340M&P, no lock, clip draw.
    340PD, no lock.

Name:  air_j.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  65.5 KB

Thanks, gents.

I only have a 642-1 (no lock) but toy with the idea of the M&P for the better (night) sight. The weigh difference is negligible and I could care less about firing magnum rounds. My 642 has a fluorescent red/orange front sight which is more than adequate for daytime and picks up well enough at night with my headlamp while walking the dog in our forested area. Still, if the price was right I would probably add the M&P 340.

Hadn't really considered the other but maybe now I'll add it to the equation to mull over as I kick the can down the road.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List