Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision Point for Switching from Irons to RDO?

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Waiting for a RDO pistol sight that's as "No Fail" as the H1/T1
    Isn't the Trijicon RMR Type 2 it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I really don't know. That was my first exposure to dots on a handgun. Pressburg was using the Trijicon. My work is light years away from allowing anything but iron sights so I haven't really delved.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Numerous folks here have switched from irons to red dots, usually giving as the reason something along the lines of "I can't see my sights as well as I used to." Okay, at 68 I can relate to that, but it's kinda vague. Is there a better-defined line that, when crossed, indicates unambiguously that, "Hey dumbass, it's time!"?

I'm a decent, though not wonderful, shooter. When the new FBI qual came out earlier this year, I shot it using an IDPA target and had three rounds outside the -0, with all shots well within time limits. I realize that's a relatively low bar considering the skill level of some of the folks on this forum, but I'm not sure how much a red dot might have helped.

Data and/or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Do it now: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post978114
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-09-2020 at 06:16 PM.

No. The main drawback to MRDS is there is still a ways to go before they are near being rock solid reliable.

It wasn’t eyesight-based for me. I’m in the back half of my thirties, and I’ve gotten genetically lucky with eyesight.

I am, however, mildly obsessive and hobby-interested in pistol sights. My first handgun, as a teenager, was a fixed-sight Single-Six, but the first handgun my family got that we all started shooting with was a dot-sighted Smith 22A. As long as I’ve shot pistols, I’ve been aware of what dits have had to offer, but my interest has been in practical sorts of pistols. P-F gave me confidence that a pistol with a modern dot could be practical and useful, and I think I’m fully onboard this train.

While I reduced my inventory of iron-sighted pistols, I have not and will not completely divest myself of them. As others have said, shooting a dot can improve your ability to shoot irons.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I guess I’m the odd man out with RDS. At 60, I still feel very comfortable with my marksmanship abilities with iron sights. Probably long term muscle memory helps as well. Also, I’m the last one to change until all the bugs have been worked out of a system. When a major, big city police department (ie., NYC, LAPD) has tested/issued RDS pistols to the line troops for at least three years, and reported out positive results, then will I start looking for a gunsmith to mill out a cut on my G17 gen 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    No. The main drawback to MRDS is there is still a ways to go before they are near being rock solid reliable.
    Who sets the metric and who does the testing?

Only testing I've seen is by one Aaron Cowan and the RMR seems to take serious abuse better than almost anything else.

The title of this thread is a bit of a misnomer, since iron sights are going to be around, either in the form of BUIS or on pistols not suitable for a red dot, for a very long time. I think the question really should be, “when are you going to make a red dot part of your pistol shooting experience?” The reason to include a red dot is not because the current optics are bombproof durable, because they are not, as those of us shooting matches every week frequently observe. The reason to incorporate a red dot pistol into your pistol shooting is not because X department has issued Y optic to the rank and file successfully for however many years, because they haven’t. The reason to incorporate a red dot on your pistol is not because it is realistically likely to improve your odds in a defensive gunfight.

The reason to incorporate a red dot into your pistol shooting is because it makes you a better iron sight shooter, a better red dot shooter, and a better laser shooter. Regardless of what sighting system you use now, and likely will in the future, your red dot pistol experience will make you better with that system. You might even have some fun with the red dot, although I know that fun is considered hobbyist in some circles.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What GJM said. A dot sighted 22 is the easy button to try before considering going “all in”.

Who sets the metric and who does the testing?

Only testing I've seen is by one Aaron Cowan and the RMR seems to take serious abuse better than almost anything else.
    I like Aaron's work and reviews. I agree the RMR is proven as the most durable right now. I have a type 1 on a Gen 3 19 that has been on there about 10 years and 80,000 rounds now. It has seen a lot of classes and some mild abuse. I have a second type 2 on a Gen 5 because the first one flickered during DRY FIRE. Overall they are great. Just still not where I would like to see them.

User Tag List