Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision Point for Switching from Irons to RDO?

Site Supporter

Decision Point for Switching from Irons to RDO?

Numerous folks here have switched from irons to red dots, usually giving as the reason something along the lines of "I can't see my sights as well as I used to." Okay, at 68 I can relate to that, but it's kinda vague. Is there a better-defined line that, when crossed, indicates unambiguously that, "Hey dumbass, it's time!"?

I'm a decent, though not wonderful, shooter. When the new FBI qual came out earlier this year, I shot it using an IDPA target and had three rounds outside the -0, with all shots well within time limits. I realize that's a relatively low bar considering the skill level of some of the folks on this forum, but I'm not sure how much a red dot might have helped.

Data and/or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 12-28-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Numerous folks here have switched from irons to red dots, usually giving as the reason something along the lines of "I can't see my sights as well as I used to." Okay, at 68 I can relate to that, but it's kinda vague. Is there a better-defined line that, when crossed, indicates unambiguously that, "Hey dumbass, it's time!"?

I'm a decent, though not wonderful, shooter. When the new FBI qual came out earlier this year, I shot it using an IDPA target and had three rounds outside the -0, with all shots well within time limits. I realize that's a relatively low bar considering the skill level of some of the folks on this forum, but I'm not sure how much a red dot might have helped.

Data and/or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Note, IDPA down zeros at 20 yards were not a given for me with irons. Today a 3X5 card is in trouble at the same distance. 0 to 3 yards, who cares, index and bang.

I wear bi-focals, yes, I am an old shit. I wanted more accuracy at distance. I also realize that I don't know what I don't know so I am enrolled in a two day Modern Samuri class on Red dot technique.

Go get yourself some and be happy.

Does the "time" need to be defined by others?

If you're even wondering, I'd say it's time for you to try it and see for yourself.

I forsee that by this time next year I won't be shooting any iron-sighted pistols in competition and likely won't be carrying one either.

Even if I had perfect eyesight, the advantages of a single focal plane sight are too overwhelming.

Site Supporter
    I'm 35 and am pushing hard on it for 2020.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I'm 35 and am pushing hard on it for 2020.
    Okay, why? Question, not snark.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Okay, why? Question, not snark.
    1 - the feedback from the dot trumps the feedback from irons, and doesn't let you get away with slop on your body mechanics as there's nothing in the periphery to guide you to making the dot appear. That means if you put the time in to learn it, your skills by default have to be more consistent than irons, and that skill set also translates over to an iron sight gun. For me it's a tool.

2 - my vision has been down the toilet since before the 3rd grade. Sights are mechanically aligned and allow me to look at the target, versus never really getting a crisp front sight on a pistol. I'll have some verification on 25 yard groups tomorrow if all goes well.

3 - and because my eyesight isn't 20/20, and this coming year is? Dad joke?
    Last edited by jeep45238; 12-28-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    1 - the feedback from the dot trumps the feedback from irons, and doesn't let you get away with slop on your body mechanics as there's nothing in the periphery to guide you to making the dot appear. That means if you put the time in to learn it, your skills by default have to be more consistent than irons, and that skill set also translates over to an iron sight gun. For me it's a tool.

2 - my vision has been down the toilet since before the 3rd grade. Sights are mechanically aligned and allow me to look at the target, versus never really getting a crisp front sight on a pistol. I'll have some verification on 25 yard groups tomorrow if all goes well.

3 - and because my eyesight isn't 20/20, and this coming year is? Dad joke?
    Exactly the reasons why I just recently decided to start moving in that direction.

Site Supporter
    I shot red dots on Open Pistols a long time ago. I got a CZ P10F OR with SRO a few months ago, I want to work on my accuracy and the dot lets me put my focus on trigger pull and that is where I need the most work (I do not have to focus on sight alignment, etc. with RDS - put dot on target). The dot also shows me when I am jerking trigger etc. I am getting much better hits on IDPA targets and steel at speed with the dot again as I am focusing on trigger pull (and grip). I am nearing 60 but vision is not the issue with my monovision contacts.

Son & I attended a recent Chuck Pressburg "No Fail Pistol" class. Chuck does some fabulous things with his NH and RDO. I got to shoot a few rounds out of his pistol. Waiting for a RDO pistol sight that's as "No Fail" as the H1/T1 or my eyesight to significantly worsen. Chuck did some great work with a student's iron sight G34 also.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I'm old but with good eyes. I fought it and stuck with irons till about a year ago. Been running an RDS since on my duty guns and I ain't going back to irons unless someone makes me. The RDS makes me more consistent and doesn't slow me down an appreciable amount.

User Tag List