View Poll Results: APX Target or Steyr L9-A2 MF

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beretta APX Target

35 66.04%
  • Steyr L9A2 MF

18 33.96%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Hipster Gun would you buy? Beretta APX Target or Steyr L9 A2 MF?

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I had an APX full size not long after they came out. I kinda let it go because at the time the sight options weren’t great. I’m tempted to try one again. Mine breezed through the 2000 round challenge with no issues at all. It was a very fun pistol to shoot timed drills with. Ergos were very good for me as well.
    While I agree the sight and holster options are limited presently, I think in the current $300-350 range there’s probably nothing that touches it in the reliability/quality department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    While I agree the sight and holster options are limited presently, I think in the current $300-350 range there’s probably nothing that touches it in the reliability/quality department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that you can get Ameriglo Spartans from the BUSA website for the APX, I don’t have much of a complaint about sights anymore. JMCK has holsters. In its current price range, if it ain’t the king, it should at least be the crown prince. I am kind of concerned about it’s future since it’s now in the discount bin, but S&W has kept the Sigma models around in the discount bin for a looooong time now, so maybe the APX will live a long life

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I still cannot wrap my brain around what “hipster” means, exactly. As I understand hipster clothing styles, there is no room for one’s external reproductive organs, much less for an AIWB’ed or IWB’ed pistol. Does a hipster carry the pistol the pistol in the purse, er, bag? Is the true main question, “Which gun is best to carry inside a messenger-style bag?”

At the most basic level, I will take a Beretta APX, any day. If I had to start over, from scratch, with no auto-pistols, no magazines, no holsters, from absolute zero, I would probably opt for the Beretta APX system.
    LOL

For the purposes of this poll, it's to highlight the fact that this choice isn't based on "I need serious aftermarket support and all the logistical support from established brands" kind of thing. In short, I'm picking out two options of intentionally quirky SFA, polymer pistols that are in an affordable price range that exhibit "non-mainstream" characteristics that I find innately appealing from a design, engineering, and shooting perspective.

To put some context on this, I sold a 686 because I liked my Chiappa Rhino better, I currently have an APX set up for daily carry that works well for me. I got a Px4 as my first polymer handgun after testing a bunch of them, long before Langdon did his magic or testing on them.

I'm in a funny position because of Christmas of being able to purchase a handgun in this price range but not more ammo. So, I figured, why not pick up one of the fun guns that I've been wondering about and think would be fun to shoot. The APX Target is a chance for me to try out the grip frame, long slide, and green striker kit all in a nice configuration as well as get "spare parts" for my existing APX, and it would work for carry in a pinch. It also gives me a chance to play with optics on a handgun if I want.

However, the Steyr is something I've always thought was interesting, and I lean heavily towards guns with extreme grip angles (I really like the extreme grip angle on the Rhino). However, the lack of texturing on the previous Steyrs vs the APX held me back. Now that they have those uber-hipster Trapezoidal sights combined with improved texturing all the way up the side of the gun, I'm really interested in picking on up to try.

So that's where I'm standing, and I kind of want both. The APX would be a bit more "in line" with what I already have, but the Steyr would let me play around with feeling a different platform than what I've shot for a long time, and the hipster factor (= fun factor for me) is very high, so there's that. In short, I know that I will like the APX, but I kind of want to branch into new territory just for the experience.
    Last edited by arcfide; 12-28-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Quite honestly the ultimate hipster gun starts with a C and ends with a Z.

Some say, that CZ owners smell like garlic hummus and that they have weekly mixers where they read Emily Dickinson poetry and drink microbrew IPA. All we know them as is the CZ hipster mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I still cannot wrap my brain around what “hipster” means, exactly. As I understand hipster clothing styles, there is no room for one’s external reproductive organs, much less for an AIWB’ed or IWB’ed pistol. Does a hipster carry the pistol the pistol in the purse, er, bag? Is the true main question, “Which gun is best to carry inside a messenger-style bag?”
    Nobody does, they just use it whenever they wanna describe someone younger than them that does something they don't like.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Navyguns View Post

Some say, that CZ owners smell like garlic hummus and that they have weekly mixers where they read Emily Dickinson poetry and drink microbrew IPA. All we know them as is the CZ hipster mafia.
    My Star Megastar .45 would like a word with you.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I will raise the CZ with the Grand Power K100 MK 12 models. Those combine a rotary action, a steel sub-frame inside the polymer frame, an amazing DA/SA trigger, and the ability to run the pistol "cocked-and-locked".

owned an APX and Steyr M9
    still have the APX
    Steyr was sold
    has some redeeming qualities but just too weird and near zero industry support
    the lack of striker block on the steyr also weirded me out

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The Steyr has a way higher "weirdo" factor, and therefore if the goal is to buy a "hipster" gun, then between those two, with me having no real knowledge of either, it's the clear winner.

If I were a hipster, I'd rock a pair of Steyr GB's

Name:  steyr gb.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  7.0 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Garlic hummus: NO!
    Who is/was Emily Dickinson?
    Microbrew IPA: fuckyeah!

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List