Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I got an M1 Garand

Site Supporter

So I got an M1 Garand

Through circumstances all their own, it was decided I needed to snag one of the Philippine M1's from the CMP. Braved the rain and 32 degree day to zero it and take a few 300 yard shots. I was impressed enough considering the adverse circumstances, can't wait to get it back out when the weather doesn't suck.

1954 Springfield, service grade.

Name:  m1 garand 300 yd.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  82.7 KB

Nice rifle, good shooting, and you have the sling rigged correctly.

I may or may not have a CMP application ready to go for later this year...
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Nice rifle, good shooting, and you have the sling rigged correctly.
    Haha. Good deal. I had to guess, but I was attempting to use some logic of how it would be applied.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Haha. Good deal. I had to guess, but I was attempting to use some logic of how it would be applied.
    A sharpie is a huge help for me. Essentially you set the sling up as is for length to use as a hasty sling. The rear clip comes off and can be opened up into a loop, which goes above the bicep, for a really rock solid prone/seated shooting position, which will require re-adjustment of the front quick-adjust. I put a sharpie line on the inside of the sling with a P written by it for prone and another with H for hasty, so it's easy to get the sling back into the proper length for the different uses.

https://artoftherifle.com/the-loop-s...oop-sling.html

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    A sharpie is a huge help for me. Essentially you set the sling up as is for length to use as a hasty sling. The rear clip comes off and can be opened up into a loop, which goes above the bicep, for a really rock solid prone/seated shooting position, which will require re-adjustment of the front quick-adjust. I put a sharpie line on the inside of the sling with a P written by it for prone and another with H for hasty, so it's easy to get the sling back into the proper length for the different uses.

This is very good advice.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Nice M1.
    Got this Winchester M1 from the DCM in ‘89
    My son is shooting it.Name:  2690CAC9-6C1B-4FAD-9D0D-030324EA5888.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  29.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post

I have all mine set up with P, S, and K (prone, sitting, kneeling). After starting NRA/CMP service rifle with an M1907 sling, I tried the M1 canvas sling and never looked back.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-28-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Mine in the middle, Korean war era Springfield.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Mine in the middle, Korean war era Springfield.

Oh I like it. Did it get a new stock before you got it? That's the one thing I don't quite know what to do with, haven't taken the time to look yet. The new wood looks good, but I'm thinking it needs oiled to darken it up some.

User Tag List